The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Hornby Island ~ 2012 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: jbkgrants (offline) on Friday, March 23 2012 @ 04:31 PM EDT  
jbkgrants

waveGood afternoon Hornby!!

Wow Doug, another spawning!! I sure envy you being able to see seals, eagles, and all the varieties of wildlife at literally your doorstep!

Your discussion made me think about the similarities to human life. I have a daughter who is a freshman in college, hanging out with the more "matures" as they go about to different places.....hummm......and there may even be a few that are a little older "birds" in there! Yup, and we "matures" are at home. We go on vacation during the summer months. But seriously, I wonder if eagles may be a certain chronological age, but not yet mature enough to partner up and settle down? Another question I have was do some remain single? If so, why? What happens if a female eagle is not able to conceive for some reason? Thanks Doug for the interesting information! It got me to thinking. Smile

Jill, Member since April 10, 2009

Forum

McKinney, Texas

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: Doug Carrick () on Friday, March 23 2012 @ 08:27 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Doug Carrick

As the day gets on, the bright blue colour of the spawning slowly dissipates but this afternoon there has been renewed spawning over and over. I have never seen so many sea lions, grunting, barking and roaring. I phoned the fisheries. They confirmed it has been a very late spawn. And unusual, in that the fishermen haven't a clue as to where they might spawn. A quota is given to each licenced boat but many of the boats haven't caught their quotas yet. Anyway, lots of food for eagles and all other creatures.

By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, March 24 2012 @ 03:46 AM EDT  
nightowl

SATURDAY, MARCH 24, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, March 24 2012 @ 06:30 AM EDT  
nightowl

Quote by: Doug Carrick

As the day gets on, the bright blue colour of the spawning slowly dissipates but this afternoon there has been renewed spawning over and over. I have never seen so many sea lions, grunting, barking and roaring. I phoned the fisheries. They confirmed it has been a very late spawn. And unusual, in that the fishermen haven't a clue as to where they might spawn. A quota is given to each licenced boat but many of the boats haven't caught their quotas yet. Anyway, lots of food for eagles and all other creatures.

Good early morning Hornby! wave

Seems Mother Nature likes to throw a curve ball now and then, doesn't it? Just when we think we have things figured out, she goes off in another direction. She can be such a fickle one sometimes.

I'd love to hear all the sea lions! What a sound they must make, all carrying on at once. Green LOL Gosh, it must be wonderful living on Hornby with all the nature around.

Thanks Doug!

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, March 25 2012 @ 03:03 AM EDT  
nightowl

SUNDAY, MARCH 25, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: MishkaT () on Sunday, March 25 2012 @ 08:44 PM EDT  
Anonymous: MishkaT

Great to hear Doug's accounts of the herring spawns, and thrilling to hear we have egg(s) now!!! Nightowl, it would be great if your calculation of hatch is right on, and we have an Earth Day birthday baby!

By: nightowl (offline) on Monday, March 26 2012 @ 12:58 AM EDT  
nightowl

Good evening Hornby! wave

Wow, MishkaT, I didn't realize the projected hatch was on Earth Day! *ahem* My calendar doesn't have that day marked. Sad What a great way to be able to spend that day...with a new chicklet! Left thumb up

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Monday, March 26 2012 @ 03:05 AM EDT  
nightowl

MONDAY, MARCH 26, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:52 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate