The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Hornby Island ~ 2012 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 03:03 AM EDT  
nightowl

SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Doug Carrick () on Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 11:59 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Doug Carrick

At 7:30 this morning I noticed lots of eagles around, then realized they were flying in and out to a patch of herring. Although there was a herring spawn around Denman Island and the other side of Hornby, we had completely missed it on our side. The spawn usually lasts for 3 to 5 days centered around March 5th to March 12.

When I got the telescope on the herring ball, I could see the usual diving ducks, cormorants and Pacific Loons that dive down and frighten the herring to the surface. There were somewhere around 50 eagles flying out to get the herring. They were overwhelmingly immature eagles. Only a few adults amoung them. Seeing the number of young eagles is a good sign, I feel, meaning that a large number have survived their first winter (which is their most precarious period). That shows better odds for Alexandra and David - not that they were among the ones I saw. There is no way I could tell anyway.

Normally they fly down to the water and grab at the herring on the surface. But one immature settled right in the water, reaching out and grabbing herring. It was in the water for 3 minutes and despite knowing they can swim for 20 minutes or longer, I was wondering if it was alright. Then it lifted out of the water with quite a handful of herring. At that time other immatures went after it trying to steal the herring.

Then I saw a great number of seals rounding up herring nearer the Big Rock and then a group of sea lions at the same spot. And I realized the water was a pale blue colour - a minor spawn! Far later than usual. Then I noticed all the little Harlequin ducks around. The last week or so there have averaged around 10 to 20 harlequins. Now therre were 60. They love eating the loose herring eggs in the water.

Of course, our eagles have not been deprived of herring up until now. They are quite capable of flying to the earlier spawns at Denman Island and farther afield. Tomorrow, I will phone the Fisheries people to find out how good the herring spawn has been this year (aside from Hornby). Last year the numbers were outstanding, only they were mainly small ones, that slipped right through the fishermen's nets. And even if they did get caught they had few eggs in them - of little commercial value. Our herring fisheries is mainly for the roe (eggs) which are popular in Japan.

By: jbkgrants (offline) on Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 06:39 PM EDT  
jbkgrants

:hello: Good afternoon Hornby!!

Hi Doug! Thank you for your update and description of the herring fest! It warms my heart that there were numerous immature eagles having a meal, having endured the winter. In my imaginative mind Alexandra and David were there having a good old time. Titter

I wish Ma or Pa could have moved that piece of bark! I must be pretty heavy. I hope they just work their way around it somehow!

Jill, Member since April 10, 2009

Forum

McKinney, Texas

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: fol-di-rol () on Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 06:42 PM EDT  
Anonymous: fol-di-rol

Doug - thank you so much for your wonderful report on the activities at your beach - all the eagles after the herring, as well as the seals, sea lions, and harlequin ducks - a busy place indeed.

Hope to be there again in June - at Grassy Point - and I will hope you and Sheila, as well as Mom and Dad, all have a good year.

fol-di-rol

By: Anonymous: Doug Carrick () on Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 11:14 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Doug Carrick

At 7 o'clock this evening, I looked out and saw a number of eagles at Sandstone Point to the south of us. When I got on the telescope, I had my eyes opened. There were eagles all over the point. There were 70 eagles along the ledge by the water. About half of them were mature. I could see herring breaking the surface all along the ledge. The eagles just had to hop off the ledge and grab a few herring in the water in front of them.

Then I looked in the trees just behind the ledge. There were 15 eagles in the Leaning Tree alone, plus another 20 or 30 more in other trees in the immediate area. After being resigned to the fact that there would be no herring activity this year, it was all a pleasant surprise.

By: Darlene (offline) on Monday, March 19 2012 @ 12:40 AM EDT  
Darlene

Wow Doug that is good news! I am always happy to know eagles are findg a good source of food. It must have been exciting to see so many!

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Monday, March 19 2012 @ 02:55 AM EDT  
nightowl

Good late night Hornby! wave

Hey Doug, Jill, fol-di-rol, and Darlene! :hello:

Holy moly Doug! What a day you had! The herring spawn brought all sorts of critters to your shores. So glad the herring finally spawned, and it sounds like there was plenty go go around for everyone. Clapping Ya know, along with Alexandra and David, Hope might have been there also. It's too bad we'll never know, but did you hear a loud screepy one? She might have been the one in the water...you know how she loved her dinner!

What a sight it must have been to see all those eagles along Sandstone Point. I'm so envious that you can look out your window and see Bald Eagles everywhere. It must be heaven! (OK, besides all those poop shoots Titter )

This is a little off topic, but I'm gonna tell ya anyway. Sunday, my daughter and I took my youngest granddaughters (ages 6 and 9) to World Bird Sanctuary to get their first look at Bald Eagles up close. They had a show which included a Bataleur, Wedge-Tailed, Golden (41 years old), and a Bald Eagle. Louis, the Bald Eagle showed off his flying skills, graced us with a few calls and trills, and even did a poop shoot...on stage. Green LOL My granddaughters got their picture taken with Patriot, a HUGE female. Wub I imagine Ma is as big as Patriot. All in all, it was a great day to introduce the kids to a bit of nature they might not see otherwise. AND now they know what grandma does on the computer. LOL

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Monday, March 19 2012 @ 03:02 AM EDT  
nightowl

MONDAY, MARCH 19, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 08:35 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate