Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Hornby Island ~ 2012 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 03:16 AM EDT  
nightowl

SATURDAY, MARCH 17, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 03:31 AM EDT  
nightowl

Quote by: Doug Carrick

The eagles have filled the nest up with so much stuff, almost covering the camera. One eagle just stepped into the nest and all I could see was its ankle. Also, there is a large slab of bark on top of it all - too large for them to have carried. My guess is that it fell off the 8 feet of rotting stump above the nest. Nonetheless the eagles are spending a lot of time in the nest, which they seem to have developed to the right of the camera.

Based on past years, they could lay an egg in four days or so. To tell when this happens, I will have to revert to my methods before the cameras. I watched for the time I could see two of them together until the time I could only see one of them. As long as there were two of them there could be no egg laid, as one would always be sitting on the egg. When there is only one seen at a time, the other would be sitting on the egg. Soon after I would see one flying to the nest (to take a turn) and the other flying off - the change of the guards.

Good early morning Hornby! wave

Thanks Doug! At the rate Ma and Pa are going, you may not be able to see into the nest till the chicklets beat it down with their wingersizing! (I hope it doesn't take that long to see into it fingers crossed )

I'm so glad neither one was in the nest when that big piece of bark hit it. I just hope they're able to move it out of the nest bowl before Ma lays the eggs.. Speaking of eggs, I didn't realize how close we are to them being laid. Last year, it was on March 22 and 26...which is only 5 days away! Oh my! How time flies! I'm getting so excited now, so if you hear squealing that sounds like a little girl, that would be me. Titter

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: gemini2kd (offline) on Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 05:53 AM EDT  
gemini2kd

So nice to hear from u Doug hope that tree bark isnt gonna land on any eggs, if mom and dad see it as a threat sure they would pick another tree to start building a new nest. last year a branch broke off and fell in the sidney nest now ma and pa built a new nest but relocated I doubt the Hornbeys would relocate the island is to populated and would be difficult to get the prime real estate they have.Looking forward to new babies being rasied by this out standing pair.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 03:12 PM EDT  
nightowl

Good morning Hornby! wave

Gemini2kds, you bring up some valid points for eagles moving to a new nest. Since we discovered the Sidney pair in 2006, this will be their 3rd nest. The 'original' nest finally gave way to some powerful winds a couple of years ago, but they were only using it occasionally, choosing to raise the chicklets in another nest...which was HUGE! Maybe they knew the older nest was no longer stable? Only they know why they switched nests, and yet again last year decided to build another nest.

I liken Ma and Pa Sidney to a younger urban couple that just like to move to newer housing and like a change, where Ma and Pa Hornby are like an established couple that are happy with their first bought home, and think they made a wise choice with it. (ya know what they say about real estate...location, location, location!) Doug can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Ma and Pa have been in this nest since at least 1991.

No one knows what makes eagles decide to switch to a new nest, but I sure hope Ma and Pa stay right where they are! Nodding yes Now...bring on those eggs!

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: GG (offline) on Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 11:48 PM EDT  
GG

Nightowl, they started building their nest in late 1989 and have been there ever since. Gosh, I just adore those eagles. They really did pick the right spot and the right tree. When I think of where I was and who I was with in 1989 I cannot believe that Mom & Dad have been together that long. It was a lifetime ago! And they keep on going!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jbkgrants (offline) on Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 12:21 AM EDT  
jbkgrants

wave Nightowl, Doug, GG, gemini2kd, and all!

Well put Nightowl. Ma and Pa have been steadfast in staying at this nest. They have been fortunate to have many of the necessary resources to survive all these years on Hornby. On some level they must understand thus far that this nest is a "go" for them.

GG, thanks for the info about start dates. Doing the math, they have been nesting there 23 years. Incredible isn't it?

Doug, do you think it is possible for them to move the large piece of bark in the nest out of the way? How large a piece is it? Knowing Ma, she's giving Pa the business about it! Titter

Jill, Member since April 10, 2009

Forum

McKinney, Texas

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: Doug Carrick () on Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 12:50 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Doug Carrick

Early this morning one of the eagles had a griip on the piece of bark and moved it a bit but it fell right back in place, in the middle of the nest. Since then they have brought in more branches, smaller sticks and moss and seem to be building right over it. They just can't stop adding more material. I can now see only their feet and their beaks when they reach down to re-arrange things.

By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 02:54 AM EDT  
nightowl

Good evening Hornby! wave

Thanks for the correction GG! *ahem* Guess if I'd have looked on the back of Doug's book, it says it right there. Roll eyes That'll teach me to go from memory.

Doug, I find it distressing Ma or Pa can't move that piece of bark and they're building over it. I guess it's the eagle version of "if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em" philosophy, and they're doing the best they can with what they have to work with. It's getting so close to egg laying time, they may feel a bit hurried to get things done though. Things will work out, but it's a shame they're severely limiting your view of them. The stinkers! LOL

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 01:49 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate