You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - White Rock Nest Camera Archive
 White Rock Area 2011 Ground Observers
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: KLAW () on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 12:05 AM EDT  
Anonymous: KLAW

Hey,

Sorry no that wasn't me Smile I believe I was wearing tan shorts and a black hoody... yes july and wearing a hoody, it was cold Sad

Thank you for all the compliments! I am planning on going out again on sunday and possibly monday again.. possibly walk further and find the nest, I'll waive up at the camera if I find it :P

I'm thinking of entering a photo contest, one of the catagories is birds... I need to pick ten shots, any suggestions? :P

Kelli.
KLAW.

By: GailM (offline) on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 01:01 AM EDT  
GailM

Greetings White Rock nesters,
Since you are asking about the beach views, I will post a few shots to help clarify the topography. Please note I have a camera but that does not make me a photographer Smile. For those wondering how far down it is from the ground near the nest to the beach, my GPS says 161 feet.
Click on image to download
Note the nest tree is in the centre of the picture, hopefully this picture with the train for reference shows the scale.
There is a natural small "pond" left when the tide goes out that traps fish for a little while until it finally drains. The eagles love this, people say they have seen 50 to 60 eagles in this area, it is right below the nest. It doesn't look like it in this photo but these two boulders are very large, I think they are the first ones we see in the background of the close up cam as the tide goes out.
The day I was there, the eagles were mostly in the trees and very hard to see. They do get disturbed when the trains come and will circle over head. The nest is near 2 curves so that is why we here the whistles, for warnings. There were at least 40 Blue Herons in the water near the nest this day, I was surprised since I did not recall one ever taken to the nest (thank goodness, our eagles prefer sushi) Nodding yes
Hopefully this is helpful, if anyone wants more information feel free to let me know and I will do my best to source it for you.

Gail

Forum

White Rock, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: savewhiterocktrees (offline) on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 03:17 AM EDT  
savewhiterocktrees

Hi Gail!...........Thanks for the photos. I plan to head down to the beach below the nest sometime this weekend and your pic will help me locate the right spot. I better hurry up and do this before there is no chance to see Charlie or Delta or parents....assuming they're still here!

Forum

White Rock , BC

Profile Email   PM

By: savewhiterocktrees (offline) on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 03:26 AM EDT  
savewhiterocktrees

As usual I forgot to say everything last timeFrustration...........KLAW, or any other local eagle person, do you want to try to get together this weekend and head down the beach to the WR nest? I may go Sat but could maybe do Sun/Mon as well. What do you think? Any takers? Evening would be the most beautiful time...

Forum

White Rock , BC

Profile Email   PM

By: savewhiterocktrees (offline) on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 03:33 AM EDT  
savewhiterocktrees

Oh for crying out loud here we go againRant:Mad........Annie I vote yes for the chat. With more practice maybe that will help me get all my thoughts into one post!

Forum

White Rock , BC

Profile Email   PM

By: GailM (offline) on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 09:40 AM EDT  
GailM

Hello Save the trees, I would love to meet you to visit the nest, however I do watch the tide charts on www.tide-forecast.com search White Rock and see the lowest tides are at 6:22 this morning and judging buy this picture the tide is still too high to walk the beach.

Note you can always go back to your own posts and hit the "edit" button to change your posting

Gail

Forum

White Rock, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: KLAW () on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 10:19 AM EDT  
Anonymous: KLAW

Thanks for the tide info.... last weekend I walked on rocks the whole way in and the tide finally moved out for my walk back...
Looks like tomorrow the tide is out really early and will be coming back in slowly...
I'd love to meet fellow eagle watchers, however its hard for me to commit to times on a sunday morning 1) its sunday morning and my alarm clock doesn't work on sundays, funny thing! 2) I meet friends for breakfast at whatever time we all wake up... However keep your eye out for me if you are there late morning to early afternoon!
Pretty rare you'd find me out on a Saturday I usually work... boooo speaking of which I have to run!

By: savewhiterocktrees (offline) on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 01:06 PM EDT  
savewhiterocktrees

Good Morning! KLAW and Gail (and anyone else!)about a beachwalk get together...thanks for the reminder about best time is low tide. I see Sunday low at 7:17 am and Monday low at 8:00 am. I'd say even an hour or so after that we'd still be able to get over and back on the sand, so that's Sunday 8:15 or Monday 9:00. I could maybe do both but Monday likely better for me. I think I'll go post this on the cam discussion page as well to see if any other locals are interested.
Eaglenut, are you interested? And do you know which route is the shortest Christopherson Steps at 24th or 1001 Steps near 16th?
I'm off to do chores...will check back later.

Forum

White Rock , BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:15 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate