Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - White Rock Nest Camera Archive
 White Rock Area 2011 Ground Observers
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Emcelii () on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 04:32 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Emcelii

This is my first time using your format, so I may fumble around a bit! LOL I, too, am really concerned for the well being of the White Rock eaglets. Been watching them for over two months and have been seeing their nest decay daily. Sue has been urging us to speak up about this issue...I finally found you...so here I am! ;o) If it's possible to leave sticks, twigs and nesting material beneath the tree...or in the vicinity of the nest, I'd be most grateful. I guess the parents would take the hint and bolster their nest...at least I hope so.

Thanks for anything you can do to help!

Erin in FL...which is too far away to bring twigs! ;o)

By: Anonymous: susang3 () on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 04:46 PM EDT  
Anonymous: susang3

Yes. I too, have been a cam watcher for a couple months and Kudos to anyone in the area that can help supply twigs and maybe straw and even pet hair combings I've seen used. I don't know the area and I'm also on the other coast. But giving a shout out to back up Sue and fellow Nest cam fans of this eagle family and hope the parents find the materials before the groundskeepers do.

Happy picture adventures too... Love the work you've captured.

By: Anonymous: GoCanucksGo () on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 05:11 PM EDT  
Anonymous: GoCanucksGo

I would also love to bring branches and twigs down to our beloved WR family of eagles for rebuilding, however I have no idea how to access their beach area from the main road or the exact location, I just have a general idea. I think a few people on here have asked about how exactly to walk to the location but i haven't seen any answers; can anyone who has been there, seen it, photographed it, let the rest of us know how exactly to walk into that section of beach? That would be great. Thanks.

By: Anonymous: aocraig () on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 06:10 PM EDT  
Anonymous: aocraig

@savewhiterocktrees and @GoCanucksGo

I agree with @suzcues Would be great to place some branch materials for the eagles. Perhaps we can find a way to contact David with HWF to get more specific mapping. I can't find an email address for him, perhaps someone else has one. I did find one for Karen Bills, project coordinator: karen@hancockwildlife.org. @Suzcues. Do you have any ideas? Thanks all eagle fans!!

By: Anonymous: suzcues () on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 06:35 PM EDT  
Anonymous: suzcues

You have no idea how happy I am to read the responses.

I don't know how, I am 400 miles south of there, eaglenut, and savewhiterocktrees were the ones that knew how to access the area. I think when David seeded the nest he might have used the homeowners space that is now completely finished off. I know they are wonderful supporters and I am sure if they realized their grooming had jeopardized or had an impact on nests in the area they would probably find a way to keep them somewhere that was suitable for them and the eagles of White Rock and all of Boundary Bay actually.

When the storm that blew so much down hit a few weeks ago, it seemed that you could see them right along the shore line under the nest, from that cam, picking up branches. They were bigger than the twigs they had been bringing.

I don't know for sure that this is the reason their nest has fallen into such horrible condition but it gets worse every day and every rain and wind washes more away.

I hope you can figure out a great place, as I am sure it is not just their nest that has suffered the coming of suburbia.

Sue

By: sandra gee (offline) on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 06:53 PM EDT  
sandra gee

David Hancock is friends with the owners of the WR nest property and I am quite sure that if they thought there was a problem with the nest they would be calling him. This is also a beach area and I'm sure there are lots of sticks around.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 07:05 PM EDT  
JudyB

Hi everyone! wave

I'm glad that you are all keeping watch over our eaglets - but I would like to mention that it's not uncommon for a nest to look pretty trampled down when the chicks reach this stage (Charlie is 9 weeks old today, and Delta will be 9 weeks old tomorrow).

Here's the Blackwater nest - before the eggs hatched, and after the three chicks fledged:

Here's the Duke Farms nest - when the chicks were 2 weeks old, and now, when they're almost 11 weeks old:

In most of the nests I've watched, the parents haven't brought in a lot of sticks while the chicks are in the nest.

Are you seeing something other than the normal wearing down of the nest so it's a flat platform suitable for eaglets to practice walking and hopping without tripping on the tiny nestcup that kept them safe when they were also tiny? I've looked at pictures of this nest from when the chicks were tiny, and I'm not seeing anything that unusual.

Please understand that I'm not trying to make light of your concerns - just checking to see if you are seeing something different than what happened at the other two nests I've used for examples of successful nests. If you are seeing something else happening here, please let me know.

Thanks!

(Oops - I was in a hurry - thanks to Lonette, eaglet and Maryann for the s'caps)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 07:11 PM EDT  
Pat B

I'm curious to know why you all think that the nest is falling down - it seems to be showing fair wear and tear for this stage in their development!
You ought to see the Sidney nest after the Lets have been wingercising for a while - real disaster zone - but the parents spend the winter building it up and making that nice neat fence around the edge!

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:59 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate