Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, AB - 2011 - Osprey Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, April 19 2011 @ 12:25 PM EDT  
BET

Tuesday April 19

10:00am MDT

The sun is shining, the snow is melting and our pair are BOTH busy bringing in sticks to build their nest. I capitalize both as last year, Mom did not bring one stick, she just stood on the nest, in Dad's way, watching what he was doing. That was her first year as a Mom. Even though I haven't really decided who is who this am, I have seen both bring in sticks and arranging them. They are again adding sticks to the area between the nest box and the support pole. And I am guessing here - at least half the sticks are falling to the ground. But, progress is being made

There is subplot going on down on the river. The geese - probably the pair that used the nest to keep their toes out of the snow, are setting up housekeeping. Some where that the nest is blocking the cameras view, but you can see them coming and going from the beach at that area. Several times there has been a "chase off" of a third goose. They skim the water and fly low.

This image is Mom (I think) taking off to gather another stick. She was immediately followed by Dad and both returned quickly with sticks The morning sun highlights her spreading wings making a lovely image to my mind

Click on image to download

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, April 19 2011 @ 06:32 PM EDT  
BET

4:20pm

Very strange light. The river is all dark grey - almost like viewing through polarized sunglasses

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 01:54 PM EDT  
BET

Wednesday April 20

1130 MDT

Busy busy Ospreys this morning. Both bringing in sticks and participating in mating several times while my computer has been up.

In this image, Dad brought in a very long multi branch stick, banging it on top of Mom in the process of trying to land with it. Grin Took both of them awhile to get it settled. The nest base is really filling up with sticks now.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM EDT  
BET

1115 MDT

The cam controller has adjusted the new cam. The view is expanded to show the still snow covered sand bar. But what appears to be really new with this cam is it apparently has a polarized lens. Note the difference in color saturation and lack of glare with the adjustment the controller just made.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 04:40 PM EDT  
BET

1200 MDT

Finally, an image of the pair next to each other back view. Mom is on the left. Their size is almost identical. Dad may appear a bit wider as he just landed and is folding his wings in. The back skull markings are also the same. So - identifying them is a toss up.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, April 21 2011 @ 12:48 PM EDT  
BET

Thursday April 21

1040 MDT

Since I logged on about an hour ago, Dad has been busy bringing in sticks. Mom has been standing on the front rim, Dad drops a stick, stands next to her for a bit, then flies off. Sometimes Mom arranges the stick, but for the most part she has been up on the front rim. Once, Dad mounted her, but "no action" to speak of.

The cam controller was doing some adjustments and he zoomed in on Mom - Lucky I was watching at that time

Since I posted above, our Mum has turned into a working woman - Not sure where Dad is, haven't seen him in the last half hour or so, but in that time Mum has brought in a half dozen new sticks and arranged them to suit herself. She is bridging the gap between the nest box and the support post. - What a change from last year

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 11:51 AM EDT  
BET

Friday April 22

0915 MDT
Both on the nest this am seeming to enjoy the calm morning. They have started adding padded cushioning (grass) to the nest bowl. The sticks have now bridged the gap between the box and the post A lot has been accomplished in the 6 days since they returned

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 04:07 PM EDT  
BET

Sunday April 24

Been remiss in posting - my computer has been acting up. I ordered a new one - due to arrive next week.

Yesterday and today have been peaceful. Both have been bringing in sticks and arranging the nest exterior. A few interior padding items have arrived - grass, a small piece of black plastic, and some kind of white fabric like item.

They were both off the nest when suddenly, both returned - male leading the way and he assumed a defending posture. The reason I know which was which, - as soon as he felt the defense was taken care of - he performed his other duty - mating Roll eyes

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:11 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate