Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Carolina Raptor Center NC - 2011 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, December 31 2010 @ 03:23 PM EST  
MaryF

Maybe we should contact them and ask about some "fluff" for the nest...it might help them keep the eggs and the chicks warmer. Whistling

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, December 31 2010 @ 04:26 PM EST  
JudyB

Good pictures, CAL! I do enjoy watching them!

Sounds like a plan, Mary! Would you like to be in charge of the fluff-procurement committee? Titter More seriously, it might be something to ask about on Facebook - noting that we've seen other eagles bring in what looks at least to people like cozy material to nestle eggs, and wondering if there was anything like that available to them if they chose to use it. Or something. It could be a bit tricky - we aren't trying to tell them how to manage their eagle habitat, but are interested in learning what sort of options are available, or whatever, I'm also curious if the keepers scatter sticks about, or if they are collecting ones that fall naturally. I don't know that either of them have the flight skills to break off branches - though they might.

And on a different topic, I saw something a little while ago. I was busily catching up on a bunch of projects with the cam window on the corner of my screen, and got this pic:
Click on image to download

I found it interesting that they were both facing in the same direction. I didn't get any more s'caps, but on the next refresh, both were in the nest, looking a bit agitated (I think at least one appeared to be calling out). The refresh after that, one was in the nest, looking towards the right. The refresh after that, the nest was empty. And a couple of refreshes after that, two people were halfway between the little building on the left and the place on the right where I surmised that the eagles had gone. A minute or two later, I saw the two people headed back to the building, but the view was partly obstructed by a tree so I couldn't tell if they were carrying anything. I do remember that last year one of the other adult eagles needed to be moved to another area because of a bit of a dust-up with either Derek or Savannah, and am wondering if something similar just happened.

I haven't seen either Derek or Savannah back on the nest since then, though I have seen eagles in the area (and I can't tell D & S from the other adults at a distance). If something happened, I am glad that they were keeping an eye on the situation. And it's equally likely that everything I saw was coincidence - this is by no means the first time I've seen them take off out of the nest.

I am now seeing two eagles sitting together at the far left of the screen:

I'm not sure if D&S are the only pair, but I am quite sure only a pair would sit that close together given that there are plenty of other places to sit. Guess I'll need to check their facebook page and see if there's any news. Smile

Added - one's back at the nest - I think Derek.

Added - didn't note the time, but it's 5:30 now, and I think about 15 minutes ago I finally saw both of them in the nest doing a bit of work - one had been in and out quite a bit, mostly looking around, but it was reassuring to see them together and know that whatever was happening, both are OK. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, January 01 2011 @ 09:55 AM EST  
JudyB

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Both are busily working on the nest this morning.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Saturday, January 01 2011 @ 02:45 PM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

Grin Thanks for the morning picture, JudyB. Was not able to view the nest this morning (PC connectivity issues).

They seem to be enjoying a rather quiet afternoon.

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, January 03 2011 @ 08:47 AM EST  
JudyB

Monday, January 3, 2011

Cam was offline yesterday, but happily is back today.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, January 03 2011 @ 03:01 PM EST  
JudyB

They both seem to be spending a lot of time at the nest today - not really working on it, but just hanging around. I wonder if it's getting close to time for the first egg?

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, January 03 2011 @ 04:23 PM EST  
JudyB

One of the staff/volunteers was hard at work a few minutes ago. No clue what they were doing - but if they were planting grass for the eagles to use in the nest, I think maybe they should have started sooner. Titter

One of the eagles stopped by the nest briefly as they were finishing up - suggesting that either the person was farther from the nest than it seems at first - or that the eagles are fairly comfortable with people in the enclosure - or possibly both. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, January 03 2011 @ 04:36 PM EST  
MaryF

JudyB...I did post on CRC on facebook to find out about nest "fluff"....so far no answer from them! :huh:

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:46 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate