The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Miscellaneous
 Daily Beat
 |  Printable Version
By: cindymorris (offline) on Friday, June 28 2013 @ 11:25 AM EDT  
cindymorris

Hi there friends!!! wave

I know ... once again I have been absent for much longer than I had anticipated for sure ... very embarrassed

Jan ~ I did here about the terrible flooding up your way. Devastating!! I do hope that things are beginning to dry out now. My daughter in laws family has moved from Edmonton to Vancouver. She still has family in Red Deer. Her parents were just up there for a visit the week before the flooding ... I had no idea that you had tornado warnings there recently!! I know that weather has been crazy everywhere ... climate change?? It sure can be scary!

Elaine ~ Love the bluebird photo! I wish we had them here in this area. I'm glad that you enjoyed a short trip and are home safe and sound. That is something about the apples; sure makes one wonder why things are so different from year to year. It's sad to hear that Dawn is going to have to deal with even more due to the driveway issue now, but as Jan said, it too will pass and she will do fine. It simply seems overwhelming after everything else I'm sure.

Diane ~ I was glad to hear that the cancer had not spread, and am hopeful that you are doing better now. How sad about the little hawk. Mother Nature certainly is difficult to understand sometimes.

Life just got busy at the end of the school year, and has just now settled down. It is amazing how much WORK retirement brought me Faint We had a great graduation program ... I Cry liked a baby, as my other teacher had her husband put together a video of photos from the last 10 years ... wonderful video, but sure let me know that my teaching years had come to an end. I certainly have a lot of great memories!! Left thumb up Back to the work part of retirement....

Anne (my other teacher) and I did well at selling off almost all of our preschool supplies (toys, puzzles, art supplies, indoor play equipment, etc) to our students parents, grandparents and then the congregation at the church. We had little to deal with at the end, and one of the Pastors wives took it home with her to sell at her garage sale!! The sale of everything put us in 'the black' for our budget as we closed out the year, so that was good as well! We took the week after the kids were gone to finish up gathering our own personal things (30 years worth for me; 25 for Anne) and boxing them up. We cleared our office, but both of us had numerous boxes of things to deal with. That is where the work came into play. I called around to other schools in the area, and I found places to donate it all!! All of my curriculum files went to a Christian based Home School Co-op. My Campbell's Labels for Education account when to another. And all of my classroom stuff (bulletin boards, teacher help items, Big Books, etc., went to a Christian Preschool/Kindergarten program. I was THRILLED to find homes for it all! But, it all had to be 'purged and cleaned out' of the ancient stuff, and put in order. At least in my mind that had to be done ... so that took me 3 weeks Phew of time. However, it felt good to donate it all, and walk away knowing that other teachers and students will be using it all. Wooh

I have been busy cleaning and reorganizing my sewing/craft room this past week, in hopes of actually being able to start using it again WoohWooh I've also spent the weekends trying to regain some of the flower beds. After the accident last year, no weeding whatsoever was done ... just the mowing that the little neighbor boys did ... so it has been an undertaking for us to get back to at least 'acceptable' looking around here ... Phew

In the midst of all of this, we did take some time to look for and purchase a new 'toy' for us to try out this coming weekend ... we now have Sea Kayaks ... Smile My kids are glad that the motorcycling days are over, but now they will worry that we may drown ... Titter We are going to take lessons, of course, and have the safety gear, but this weekend will put them in the water and try them out. We had kayaks eons ago, but we are older now, and feel that we should be cautious. The dune buggy is still not running correctly, so we are anxious for Don to figure out the wiring issue there ... all in good time ...

Pete Good doggy also was very sick Cry for several weeks, and we were quite worried. He apparently got into something in the yard. He was one sick dog for sure. He did a couple of rounds of antibiotics before he finally started to rally a bit. It really took it out of him though. He is much slower, and sleeps a lot now. They did extensive blood work on him, and for an older dog, is in relatively good shape. We've yet to figure out what he could have possibly eaten, as he just doesn't typically do that sort of thing. I searched for mushrooms, which can be deadly, but never found any. Most years we have them, but I check constantly and get rid of them as soon as possible. The only other explanation is that another dog/dogs have been coming up the ravine into the yard at night, and may have left their calling cards, and he got into that ... (dogs can do some pretty Oh My disgusting things) ... we've never seen Pete do that particular thing, but who knows ... He seems to be doing okay now, although slower, which is sad for me to see. He will be happy to make the trip to the lake this weekend and see his buddy Abby. BobCat Dear cat has been fine, although he does spend more time just sleeping near Pete now most days. He snores now, too, and we find that sort of humorous. My husband has a c-pap machine, so I was saying that maybe BC may need one as well....Titter

Well, off to the elliptical for me ... I'm trying to do a bit of that or the rowing machine each day just to work on that leg ... does me good!!

Take care everyone ...
hug

Resolve to be tender with the young;
Compassionate with the aged;Sympathetic with the striving;
And tolerant of the weak and wrong.
Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.

Have a wonderful day!
Cindy AKA - kringlecat

Forum

Pacific Northwest

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Friday, June 28 2013 @ 07:58 PM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Hi Cindy wave

It's so good to hear from you. I'm not in here as much as I'd like to be. I got pretty lucky getting that picture of the bluebird. Actually I felt really lucky that a pair found the bluebird house. Smile

That is so mind boggling to me of what all you had to accomplish when retiring. 30 years of personal things must have been overwhelming. When we redid our office I took a lot of my personal stuff home and since my new space was smaller I left most of it at home. That was some journey you had to find a home for all those items and it was done with so much of your devotion and love. I'm sure that all your little munchkins you have had have the most wonderful memories of you. love I still think about a few of my teachers that I really enjoyed when I was so young. That had to have been a load of work to do and no wonder you haven't had time to be with us.

I've never been in a kayak but it sounds like fun. I hope you both have loads of fun with it.

That's so sad to read about Pete being sick. Sad Gosh that had to be such a worry to you. I swear that Pete and BobCat feel like my own at times. They have a very special place in my heart. Their personalities come through so much with the pictures you have posted. I'm so glad that he's doing better. Talk about dogs doing disgusting things, I remember when Ginger got loose and went out into the woods and came back smelling so bad. It didn't make her sick, but it sure did make me sick. I put her in the bathtub and it was a good thing the toilet was close by because she smelled so bad I had to throw up. I have a friend that says her cat that snores louder than her husband. Titter Sometimes I'll catch Snuggles snoring but not very loud.

I hope you'll have more time to visit with us and let us know how the kayaking is going. Have Fun. Big hugs

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006
My avatar is the first one I used in the forum. The cuke eyes are a memorial to our beloved Wendy Minshall who passed away too early in life. R.I.P. my dear friend.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: cindymorris (offline) on Saturday, June 29 2013 @ 02:31 PM EDT  
cindymorris

Hi there .... again.... Smile

Yes, it was nice to donate everything, Elaine. The idea of all my hard work accumulating such a vast curriculum and all the classroom stuff sitting in boxes in my garage collecting dust would have made me very sad. The personal things had to be dealt with as well. About 90% of it went to non-profit charitable organizations. What I kept is 90% photos. It's funny how I can look at a photo of a child from 30 years ago, and still instantly know their name! I love running into the previous students and families out and about here in the area. Lots and lots of great memories ... Grin

Had a few minutes to pop in ... Just finished brushing Pete and got an entire full grocery bag Oh My of fur off the poor 'ole boy!! Hopefully he will feel better now ... It has been Rain solid for a week, and now it is in the Sunny 80's ... it is miserable here as it is so humid. Reminds me a tad (but just a tad) of Long Island, NY in August ... not a fan of it to be sure. We are glad to see the sunshine again, but it would have been nice if things had had a bit of time to dry out a bit first .... I must admit to whining a bit, as I am very thankful not to have to deal with tornados here like so many ...

I checked in on some Sitting eagle nests this morning ... the babies are already fledging ... so I missed most of the season. At least I did get to see some ... I can't believe how big the eaglets are in comparison to the adults ... amazes me every year. They had to move a firework display on Lake Washington this year due to an eagle nest with two eaglets in it. They're hopeful fingers crossed that they will be far enough away not to scare them out of the nest ...

Well, back to finishing up on Pete. I have to give him a breather in between brushing . Typically takes me an hour to an hour and a half to do a really decent job on him ... but he tires out so easily now that I do it in 20 minutes sessions. Also want to go and check on Don and a friend of ours who is here to help replace our hot water tank. Faint Homeownership sure isn't fun sometimes. However, we've had this hot water tank since 1995, so we more than got our years of use out of it. Left thumb up

Take care friends!! Will catch up again soon!
hug

Resolve to be tender with the young;
Compassionate with the aged;Sympathetic with the striving;
And tolerant of the weak and wrong.
Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.

Have a wonderful day!
Cindy AKA - kringlecat

Forum

Pacific Northwest

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, June 29 2013 @ 05:20 PM EDT  
karenbills

2013 FledgeFest Open House

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: gemini (offline) on Tuesday, July 02 2013 @ 03:38 PM EDT  
gemini

Hi Everyone!wave

It's that time of year again when we need to ask for your help. Pretty soon our eagles and their respective families will be leaving on their annual fishing trip and David will be rushing to get all the cams cleaned and up and running for next year.

To refresh your memory as to what all that entails, take a minute to look at Karen's photos of last year's annual cleanup and installations:

Link to the:
Lafarge Nest
Delta Nest Here's Karen's report and pictures: forum/viewtopic.php?topic=418940#418940
Harrison Mills Nest

And even though you canít take part in the actual maintenance, you can help in a couple of ways:

First - Renting cranes, replacing wiring and repairing cams, etc. takes a great deal of $$$$ and as our fund raising campaign gets underway this year, we are hoping to get help with the campaign from the HWF general membership and are asking anyone who may feel so inclined, to add one of our many cute 2013 fundraising campaign "buttons" to one of their posts once in a while or even put it in their signature line for a few weeks!

The "button(s)" can be found found HERE and there are many different sizes (from small to full blown scap size!) and pictures to choose from - whatever you feel like using! (Scroll down the page to view the different sizes!)

They are easy to use! Full instructions are posted at the top of the first post of buttons and links.

Or if you have a favourite scap that you would like to see made into a donate button just post it in this thread telling me what size you want (small, medium, or large) and I will make it up for you to use in your post!

Second Ė Iím sure as a member of the HWF you would also like to show your appreciation of these wonderful cams we get to watch all year round. And you can - with a donation to help defray the cost of the annual cleaning and maintenance! No matter how big or how small, whatever your comfort zone is, your donation will be most appreciated. Every little bit helps!

Click Me!Ė itís just that easy!

So have fun with the "button links" and be sure and send in your token of appreciation!

Cheers,

gemini

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Saturday, July 06 2013 @ 03:02 PM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Just thought I would pop in for a quick wave,

I hope everyone is enjoying the week-end. I've been busy working in my garden and around the yard. Dawn has finally heard that the house didn't have any asbestos, but she is still waiting on the guy to fill out the paperwork on it.Roll eyes She's been busy in her garden as well.

All my fur-kids are doing well. I have also been enjoying watching the squirrels and birds this summer. Gosh the summer is just flying by. Sad

I do have to go back to work full time on Monday, which I'm not looking forward to. I really don't have any work to do except answer the phone and do payroll. The new apple line is being built and we have quite a few people out there working on it, so I guess my boss wants me there to mainly keep an eye on things in the office.

I have a friend from the cheezeburger site that I have kept in contact with and she really got this wonderful picture of a Robin grabbing a berry. I have asked her permission to post it in here. She said it was a stroke of good luck that she got the picture.

Wishing Everyone a happy go lucky week-end.

Click on image to download

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006
My avatar is the first one I used in the forum. The cuke eyes are a memorial to our beloved Wendy Minshall who passed away too early in life. R.I.P. my dear friend.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, July 16 2013 @ 10:36 PM EDT  
MaryF

Hi everybody!! I did not fall off the face of the earth--I have just been busier that a drop of cold water in a hot frying pan! I think abot you all often! love

It seemed to take me longer to get my stuff ready to go this year and then there was the waiting for that eye to heal--I went without glasses for 5 weeks although I could drive it was a bit creepy to drive with what amounted to one eye--the good one. BOY! can I ever see great out of that eye--it really is a miracle surgery. I hope the left eye will be ready for surgery before the end of the year since all my deductibles are paid for this year. We didn't sign up for Medicare since Richard is still working.

I did get a new car before I came up here to Michigan. We both felt that even though it is running really well, my old van is 10 years old and Richard wanted me to have a nice safe car. I looked at many SUVs that I liked but they just didn't have enough hauling room for me especially the ones where the second seat didn't fold flat but sat at an angle. So I ended up with another Toyota Sienna van. It is really nice---a 2013 but certified used so it has a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty on everything and 1 yr of road service. 12,000 miles on it was not bad. My salesman who is an old friend of Richards got it from Budget and they forgot to turn the Syrius XM radio off so lucky me until they realize it!! It was nice not to have to search for radio stations on the way up here!! Left thumb up I did want red and had to settle for charcoal gray metallic--LOL Grin

How are you doing in your retirement, Cindy? I was teary eyed to read that our boy Pete was so sick!! I wish I could hug his neck! You don't suppose somebody put something bad in your yard do you? There has been a lot of that going on lately. I wonder if the nest on Lake Washington with the two chicks was the same pair who used to be on the cam I watched?

Jan--I read all about the awful flooding--we discussed it somewhere on the forum??? Hope everything is good now. Is your beautiful home finished??

Has anybody heard from Diane. I think of her often and she is always in my prayers.

Elaine---is it hot enough for you?? Thank goodness I brought that window AC up with me last year so at least my bedroom is cool! I see you went on a trip to Gettysburg! I grew up not to far from there in York, PA--beautiful country around there!! We used to go there often--I guess that's where I got my love for Abe Lincoln and the Civil War.

Right now we are working on renovating all 3 of my porches. My "guy" is replacing some nasty boards and then we will clean them. After that I'm going to paint them with a new kind of deck paint that is very thick and has a texture so no slip if they are wet. My Dad who is now 90 has been keeping me busy--we take 2 of his kittys to the vet tomorrow. I've been with my sister and other relatives pretty much constantly since I've been here but I expect that to slow down some. Going to get together with another "eagle person" who lives here in Midland on Thursday. My sister thought she was having a heart attack two weeks ago but it turned out to be anxiety over getting their big home in the Ann Arbor area ready to sell. It was our family home and they bought it---hard to get rid of a house that has been in the family for 50 years and cut the ties with our hometown. My beloved aunt who lives up here has been diagnosed with bladder cancer and she has had 2 surgeries and starts heavy duty chemo on Thursday at University of Michigan hospital.

Click on image to download ~~ Here is my sister Nancy, my brother Bob, and little old me at our family reunion over the 4th--we had end of the day hair LOL!!

Phew Did I write enough??

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Sunday, July 21 2013 @ 07:38 AM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Good Morning Everyone, wave

It's so good to hear from you Mary. I was wondering if you ever got to Michigan. I'm so glad that your eye surgery went good for you. I bet that was a relief and now you won't be so worried about the next one. Oh boy the heat in Michigan was horrible. It just seems to wipe me right out with all that humidity when I try to get things done outside. Thank goodness we have had a cool down. It's nice to open up all the windows and let the fresh air in. I'm sure you're glad that you got that air conditioner.

You must really have been busy since you arrived in Michigan. Lots going on with you. I pray that all things go well with your Aunt. It's got to be such a worry. That's a lovey picture of you and your siblings. Just have to say that your end of the day hair isn't nearly as bad as my beginning of the day hair. I want to go outside this morning but I need to do something with my hair before I do. Don't want to scare the neighbors. Wooh

Speaking of neighbors, our neighbor lady, who was 83 years old passed away in a car accident Friday night. Cry She lived across the road from us and her son lives next door to us. They're thinking she might have had a heart attack or a stroke while driving. Being in such a small town we have known her forever. I was busy most of the day yesterday making her son's family some desserts and taking them over to them. They've been such nice neighbors and my heart goes out to them.

Well, I had best get something done with this crazy hair and get outside.

Praying that everything is well with everyone.
hug

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:43 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate