The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Miscellaneous
 Daily Beat
 |  Printable Version
By: Grubby (offline) on Saturday, June 08 2013 @ 12:06 PM EDT  
Grubby

Cry Hanky sad

Oh No! I just looked and the youngest baby hawk must have fallen out of the nest over night.. It is on the ground.. dead. Poor baby! They were both in the nest at dusk last evening... The ups and downs of nature... and life.............

When You Share Something Nice,
It's Like Having It Twice!

Diane---Michigan

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Saturday, June 15 2013 @ 08:32 PM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Just popping in to say :hello: to everyone.

Diane~~~Awesome pictures, but I'm so sorry to hear about the baby. Hopefully the other one will survive. The only nests I have seen in my yard are the Robins nest. Of course I have the Bluebirds out back in the house. I also have wrens in the wren houses I have put up.

We got back from a trip to Gettysburg. Pa. on Thursday. It was fun to get away and also very interesting about the Battle of Gettysburg. We went to so many museums that I lost count. We also went on a open double decker bus ride thru the Battle Grounds. We were on top and half way thru it started raining. They did provide up with ponchos which helped. The scenery in Pennsylvania was so pretty with the mountains all around. We only have mostly hills in Michigan. Then on one day we bought a CD and drove around the Battle Grounds again with our car so we could stop when we wanted to. It was quite erie as you knew you were walking on ground that so many soldiers had died.

One Weds. night we seen where Michigan was going to be hit with storms so we called back home and told our son to make sure the bathtub was full just in case the power went out. It was a good thing we did because he lost it about 11:00 pm that night. As we drove home the closer we got we were seeing some big trees that came down. Thankfully we only had a few small branches to pick up. We both were thankful that we had those two big cottonwood trees cut down a couple of years ago. The whole town of Bangor and South Haven was without power. South Haven was just starting a waterfront fest. that day. We got our power on at the house before the towns got theirs back. That hardly ever happens. Actually when we arrived home on Thursday our son told us that it had just come back on. Dawn also lost her power but got her's back on before we did. I think we were pretty fortunate as some people in rural areas are still without it.

I hope everyone has been doing fine. Hugs to everyone.

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006
My avatar is the first one I used in the forum. The cuke eyes are a memorial to our beloved Wendy Minshall who passed away too early in life. R.I.P. my dear friend.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Krupa (offline) on Saturday, June 15 2013 @ 09:04 PM EDT  
Janet Krupa

:hello: Hi Diane, Elaine, Cindy and anyone else from the group!

I too, am sorry to learn that the one baby hawk didn't make it. Nature is really something else, isn't it? There must have been a reason. Hard on my nerves though. The pictures of the birds are very nice to see, You must have a lovely camera, Diane.

Glad you are back home, safe and sound, Elaine! I wondered if you would be all tuckered from 'touristing' in PA. From what you wrote it must have been awe inspiring. Too bad you had to put up with some rain, but by getting the CD and going again on your own must have been fun.

Sorry to read that you had a nasty storm hit your area! And, I am awfully glad to read that you didn't have any big trees come down. Hopefully your little birds are ok, too.

We had a tornado warning on Thursday. The radio/t.v. was full of warnings all afternoon. By the time it was all over, we were really 'testy' from hearing the warnings for so long. It just rained, really hard and I would think that some areas might have had hail. But no tornado! We are still getting a lot of rain and are getting rather weary of it. It's dull and cloudy most of the time and when the sun comes out it is so bright my husband says, "what's that bright light outside"? LOL Good thing we can still laugh.

That's it for this time. Hubby is watching hockey and I need to go do something that isn't. (Can you tell I'm not a huge fan?) LOL

Glad you are both in the forum again - now we need to dig up Cindy, Mary, Vicki! Wouldn't that be nice?

Have a nice evening all.

wave
Jan

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Sunday, June 16 2013 @ 08:39 AM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Oh my gosh Jan, that would have scared me to pieces. Tornadoes are so scary. The ones we've seen on television this year were horrific to say the least. Too many lives lost and so much damage. Mother Nature can be devastating at times. It's a pure relief to hear that you didn't have one. Do you get warnings very often in your area?

Well we were pretty tired when we got home. Especially my husband as he did all the driving. I think it took us 10 hours to get home Thursday, but we did stop often for food, potty breaks and good old stretching the old body.

Hopefully I can post a couple of pictures.

This is the Bus tour we took.

Click on image to download

This is one the way home and heading into stormy weather. We seemed to be up in the clouds.

Click on image to download

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006
My avatar is the first one I used in the forum. The cuke eyes are a memorial to our beloved Wendy Minshall who passed away too early in life. R.I.P. my dear friend.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Krupa (offline) on Sunday, June 16 2013 @ 10:56 AM EDT  
Janet Krupa

:hello:Welcome home, Elaine!!!
Glad you had such a great trip to Gettysburg and all points in between. Thanks for sharing the pics. The bus ride looks like fun and the driving in the clouds reminds me of our trips to the B.C. coast recently. It's different than flying in a plane, for sure.

We didn' used to get tornadoes - but over the years we would get horrible storms and now it seems like we do have tornado threats in June/July. There was a really bad one in 1987 that killed quite a few people in Edmonton. Since then, we are way more aware of what the weather feels like when the threats are near. It gets so muggy and the wind dies down...the clouds build up and whammo...we are in the middle of a bad storm. I am aware that when fall time comes and the temps cool down we are over the scary weather season.

Today is Father's Day and we have just been invited upstairs for waffles (our 12 year old grandson is making them!). So...we must get ready to go up and join the family in a special Father's Day breakfast.

Happy Day to all you Dads out there.

Jan wave

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Wednesday, June 26 2013 @ 08:09 AM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Good Morning everyone,wave

Just thought I'd pop in and say "HI" and to give you a update on Dawn. As Jan said awhile ago you take one bite at a time. Seems like Dawn gets over one hurdle and another one pops up. Her and Steve have weekly meetings with the contractor. They had drew up a plan on how they want the new house and the contractor found an architect to help them with it. They changed a few things, but basically Dawn and Steve both like what they did. As it is the excavator gave them an estimate on tearing the house down. His first one being 9,500.00. They then came down to 8,500.00 when Dawn and Steve decided to keep the stones from the foundation. That would keep the weight of the place down as the excavator has to pay by the weight when they take it to a dump sight. Then the contractor went to the fire department to find out if they could just burn the remaining house down. They will do it , but are waiting on an asbestos report to come back. That sure would save them a whole lot of money if this could happen. It's just a wait and see game right now. Then she found out that she has to move her driveway. It's hard to explain how her driveway goes, but it's not on one road or the other. It comes to the house from the corner of both roads. This means she will have to move more of her plants in order for them to build a new driveway. She has been dealing with her garden and her yard at both of the houses. She has my dad's lawn mower which is a good one but yeah old and sometimes has problems with it. The rental house is about a mile from the burnt house so she just drives it back and forth from one house to the other. Other than all that Lucky is doing fine and so is Sammy kitty.

I'm getting ready to go to work. The new apple line is suppose to arrive today, but it will take some time to put it together. Funny thing about this years apple crop. We have too many apples on the trees. That tend to make for smaller apples, but hey, that's a whole lot better than no apples. All and all we should have a good year. Well I had better get going here.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week.

Many Hugs to all of you. Big hugs

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Krupa (offline) on Wednesday, June 26 2013 @ 08:47 AM EDT  
Janet Krupa

wave I am so glad you wrote, Elaine. Last night I could not sleep and when I saw a letter in the forum from you I was sure hoping all was well.

Poor Dawn - seems like she got a bigger bite than she deserved this time. But...this too shall pass! And, if we lived closer we sure could help.

Not sure if you have heard about the disaster that has hit the southern part of Alberta. Last Thursday it started to rain very heavily and didn't stop. The rain was so heavy that it made more and more of the snow melt in the mountains. The rivers started to rise, quickly and all the streams, creeks were too. It was too much for the big rivers to handle and as a result huge flooding has hit the areas from Canmore (just outside of Banff) to the most southern part of the province has been hit horribly. A very pretty town called High River is destroyed. (I think there were still 13,000 residents still not allowed to go back to their homes, as of yesterday). The radio said just now that personnel are going to go house to house and search for any possible victims. The houses are filled with water and no one has been able to go inside until now. They don't know if they will find victims or not. It seems that about 300 people stayed behind (after being ordered out) to try and rescue peoples' pets. The flood happened very, very fast.

Calgary was hit, big time. The Bow River flows right next to the zoo and those people sure had their hands full. I guess at one point the hippos almost got away and into the swollen river. The giraffes were terrified as the muddy water was up to their middles. At one point there was over two hundred thousand people who were displaced and I haven't heard how many are still waiting to go see their homes. The rivers eroded the banks so badly that many homes are going to have to be destroyed.

If you can - try and google Calgary Herald or even floods in Alberta and see pictures. It is unbelievable. Very sad and definitely surreal.

We might get sunshine today. I think I heard that in the last 25 days we have had 21 days of rain. Stuff sure is squishy around here and I am awfully glad we don't live near the river as Edmonton is suffering with some flooding as of yesterday. (Our riverbed is much deeper than the one going in to Calgary area).

I hold all of you close to my heart and think of you each day.

A special hello to Diane and Mary - I hope both of you are recuperating well.

Glad to hear of the apples, Elaine! Little apples make good eating too!!!! Yay!!!

Hope all of you have a good day.

Jan wave

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Wednesday, June 26 2013 @ 09:35 AM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Oh Jan, that's so devastating for everyone involved. I knew about Calgary, but didn't know about the town of High River or the zoo. Those pictures in the Calgary Herald were hard to look at. Cry I sure hope they get all the help they need. Mother nature can be so cruel. It just seems like things are happening all over the world that are hard to take in. Looking at the devastation just makes my heart ache. sad I sure am thankful that you're not caught up in this in Edmunton. I'll be praying that the sun will shine for everyone. You have been such a dear friend Jan to all of us. I'll always cherish the friends I have made in here.

Dawn's situation seems minor right now compared to what those in Calgary and High River are going through. God bless them all.

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:10 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate