https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 CalTrans, Turtle Bay, CA - 2011 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Sunday, January 23 2011 @ 02:28 AM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

Kudos on your Friday night video eaglewoman/Content Provider/Mseaglewoman. Will watch your video again tomorrow. Grin

Thank You

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Sunday, January 23 2011 @ 03:19 AM EST  
eaglewoman

:hello:CAL04!
Here is one more where Liberty started calling, and then the pair began mating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaKKjCteupo

Now, someone told me that actual copulation does not occur until 5-10 days before eggs are laid. So, this would mean that they are simply pair bonding at this point and that Liberty is not quite ready to accept him. You can see her pecking at him a bunch after he mounts her, so maybe when she is ready she won't do that to him?

First egg was laid on 2/15 last year, so that would mean copulation would occur around 2/1, if they are on a similar schedule?

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Sunday, January 23 2011 @ 03:38 PM EST  

:hello: Good afternoon Turtle Bay,

Liberty may not be ready yet, eaglewoman, but from looking at your last video, Patriot is! Thank you, EW, for the refresher on last year's egg schedule and copulation/pair bonding behavior. Always good to know what to expect.

12:27 pm,
Nest view for comparison purpose.
Click on image to download

Thinking we will be seeing more of them on the nest soon....

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Monday, January 24 2011 @ 12:01 PM EST  
eaglewoman

TitterYou got that right CAL04!

I made a correction on my last post regarding the # of days from copulation to egg laying. It is only 5-10 days, and I had put 10-15 days originally.
So, that means somewhere around Feb 5th-10th if they are close to last year's schedule.

I just saw one eagle in the nest as I drove by around 8:30 am, but I haven't been able to get the eaglecam up yet?

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Monday, January 24 2011 @ 01:17 PM EST  

:hello: Good morning Turtle Bay,

Hi eaglewoman, Thanks for the edit on your egg laying info.

Glad to know somebody was in the nest this morning. Just tried the cam again - nada (10:17 am). Will keep trying....

eaglewoman, I have a question: Do any of your students read this forum thread? If so, I will try to watch my use of the English language and punctuation a little better here for their sakes. Nodding yes
Bless their little hearts; they are so fortunate to have you as their teacher. Grin

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Monday, January 24 2011 @ 02:36 PM EST  
eaglewoman

No problem CAL04!
At this point, I haven't had them read the forum, but I have shared plenty of things that I have learned on the forum with them!Grin

Speaking of students, I wanted to share this post with you from the Turtle Bay Discussion Forum, it was pretty moving and just goes to show you how powerful this eaglecam experience can be for kids of all ages! And, us grown ups, too!Left thumb up

Hi, my name is Karen. I love the idea that this forum is available for info and input. I live in Oregon and teach in a juvenile correction facility in Grants Pass, Oregon. We are a long term, closed custody prison for juveniles from 12y through their 25th birthday. Some of our kids are there for several years, some for just a few months. I am always trying to find outside interests that will help our young men stay connected to the outside world and feel invested in something that is positive, real, and a different experience than what most of them has been exposed to. When someone told me about the eagle cam a year ago, I decided to make daily viewing of the nest part of my class (the eggs were already in the nest at that time). I really didn't make a big deal about it, just made daily viewing "available" to any of the boys who might be interested. Some of these guys are pretty hard core so I didn't expect too much. Well, I was wrong! The interest and concern that developed among these kids was amazing. Once the eggs hatched you would have thought that I had a room full of "parents". So many of these boys have had very little healthy parenting in their lives. It was wonderful to hear the types of discussions that happened within the group about things some of them rarely discussed with anyone: the feeling of being nurtured by a parent...parental roles...interactions between siblings, what it means to "leave the nest". What I had thought would be a "nice little science" experience turned out to be so much more. I could go on and on but will stop for now. Thank you again. I look forward to sharing another year of the Turtle Bay eagle family with my students.K

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Monday, January 24 2011 @ 03:29 PM EST  

Oh how I wish I could share K's letter with my family and friends who are in law enforcement. Eagle cams are a dream come true for individuals who nuture or rehabilitate people. Yes, eaglewoman, even "kids of all ages".

Nest at 12:24 pm,

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 01:48 PM EST  
eaglewoman

Got down there late last night, 5:15 or so.
One eagle was on the branch, and it was calling in what I have learned is a "begging" call. The other eagle was in the nest, I thought doing restorations, but later thought it must have been eating a nice, big juicy fish! They did take turns, and the eagle on the branch eventually jumped in the nest for it's fair share!
Here is one shot I took before it got too dark. We have been having some beautiful sunsets here lately...

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:00 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate