https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - White Rock Nest Camera Archive
 White Rock 2010/11 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 02:48 PM EST  
JudyB

I've just had an email from David Hancock, and he's thinking it may actually be a 5th year bird. I hadn't realized they'd still have that much gray at five years - need to check our reference section, I think! Smile

And perhaps he or she is really only 4-3/4 years old - BC eaglets generally hatch in April. Titter

Added -
Wow, I'm learning all sorts of things today. Karen Bills just emailed to tell me that my bit of a joke was actually correct - a 5th year bird refers to one in its fifth year of life - and in April when this bird would most likely be five years old, it will be starting its sixth year, so would then be considered a 6th year bird!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 03:13 PM EST  
MaryF

Quote by: JudyB

I've just had an email from David Hancock, and he's thinking it may actually be a five-year-old. I hadn't realized they'd still have that much gray at five years - need to check our reference section, I think! Smile

And perhaps he or she is really only 4-3/4 years old - BC eaglets generally hatch in April. Titter

Grace, in the my other post above, was a 5 year old B.C. eagle at the time the picture was taken. The lighting in the pic doesn't show it but she had quite a bit of dark feathering still on her head

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 03:25 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks, Mary! I was editing my post while you were posting - having just learned the difference between a 5-year-old eagle and a 5th year eagle (which is between 4 and 5 years old). I do like all the interesting things one learns here - and love your picture of Grace! She does seem to have less gray than the sub-adult who visited the White Rock nest, but lighting and camera angle may play a role in that.

And now I really need to get back to work - bye!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 03:33 PM EST  
jwnix

not unlike how humans count their years, Judy..... when a child is celebrating first birthday, they are beginning their 2nd year of life!!

Quote by: JudyBa 5th year bird refers to one in its fifth year of life - and in April when this bird would most likely be five years old, it will be starting its sixth year, so would then be considered a 6th year bird! [/p]

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 03:36 PM EST  
jwnix

lovely image, MaryF. I'm going to eagle event next month and there will be raptors there, will see what age the bald eagle is that is to be on exhibit.

Quote by: MaryF

This young eagle looks about like "my" Grace at the bird rehab in Corpus Christi looked when I was there. They told me she was one molt away from her white head.

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Debs (offline) on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 03:37 PM EST  
Debs

Great scaps and observations here this morning Thank You Thank You Thank You

Definitely looks like sub adult approximately 4 years old or a bit older.

Here is a great link that identifies the eagle plummages at various ages...I use this as a helpful tool and have it saved to my favorites.

http://www.swbemc.org/index.html

This is a picture of the various stages of plumages
Click on image to download

Here is the information and key that goes with this picture of the various stages of eagle plumages...

In their five year development to adulthood, bald eagles go through one of the most varied plumage changes of any North American bird. During its first four weeks of life, an eaglet's fluffy white down changes to a gray wooly down. At about five weeks, brown and black feathers begin to grow. It becomes fully feathered at 10 weeks of age. In its first year, the mostly dark-colored juvenile can often be mistaken as a golden eagle. However, the bald eagle progressively changes until it reaches adult plumage at five years. Notice in the pictures how its dark eye lightens throughout its first four years of life until it becomes yellow. Also, see how its beak changes form gray-black to a vibrant yellow.

It is believed that the darker, more mottled plumage of a young eagle serves as camouflage, while the white head and tail announce that it is of breeding age.

A. 10 days old B. 21 days old
C. 28 days old D. 49 days old
E. 96 days old F. 2 years old
G. 3 years old H. 5 years old

This information is found on the Southwestern Bald Eagle Management Committee Web site in Arizona and I found the information while I was conducting research on the area as we plan to visit there this year. It is a good site...the link is posted above.

1235 pm
Nest is empty.
All is quiet.

1249 pm
Train is passing by...nest still empty.

May you enjoy all of the simple "pleasures or gifts" that surround you.
Let your spirit soar!

To light a Candle for a loved one or friend right click on the link that follows and copy to your browser
http://light-candle.com/collections/view/33353/success

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 03:57 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks, Debs!

12:55 pm
I heard a sound sort of like claws on metal, and the WA cam shook. Also heard a brief trill. Conclusion - there may be an eagle perched on/near the WA cam!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Debs (offline) on Wednesday, January 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM EST  
Debs

Judyb :hello: I heard that too....I think the sub adult was just poppin in for Mug of coffee and his visit was harmless. I am sure Mom and Dad White Rock will surely chase any lingering visitors away from their nest. Bev Day mentioned a couple of weeks ago to me me that she noticed an increase in young adult eagles in the area this year...maybe in response to the wonderful salmon numbers they experienced last month. I wonder what David's count was when he visited the dump last week...

1 pm
Empty nest
Click on image to download

May you enjoy all of the simple "pleasures or gifts" that surround you.
Let your spirit soar!

To light a Candle for a loved one or friend right click on the link that follows and copy to your browser
http://light-candle.com/collections/view/33353/success

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:11 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate