Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Roberts Bay Bald Eagles- Sidney BC - 2017-2018 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, August 30 2017 @ 03:39 PM EDT (Read 6154 times)  
elle

Welcome to the Roberts Bay Sidney BC Bald Eagles thread.

This thread is dedicated to observations, photos and videos of the eagles who inhabit a nest on private property overlooking Roberts Bay in Sidney BC on Vancouver Island.

The 2017 season was a very special one because we watched this Bald Eagle pair not only successfully raise 3 eaglets to fledging but also a Red Tailed Hawk. This anomaly garnered worldwide attention. It was a marvel and a privilege to watch and share the activities at this nest.

We wish them every success in the coming year.

Last year's thread can be viewed here

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: CSG (offline) on Wednesday, August 30 2017 @ 04:23 PM EDT  
CSG

Quote by: elle

Welcome to the Roberts Bay Sidney BC Bald Eagles thread.

Thanks for the new thread Elle . . . so excited it's almost that time again!

While we all miss Spunky, I'm glad to hear that his cousin, Harvey the Hurricane Hawk is doing well in Houston. That is one determined raptor with a strong will to live!Bravo

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Thursday, August 31 2017 @ 09:24 AM EDT  
rainna4

Welcome back elle, I'm sure you had yourself a wonderful time of renewal of the heart and soul...........it's so wonderful to watch the eagles from egg to departure but alas it's also hard on the old heart strings at the same time..........some folks seem to do better at the empty nest syndrome then others!

After the previous season it may well be nice to have a semi-normal new season soon, boy it sure was fun and exciting and hopefully Spunky is getting ready for some courtin of his own with his own kind !

Glad your home

Rainna

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
author unknown
AKA: Sandy D

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, August 31 2017 @ 10:19 PM EDT  
elle

Thanks Sandy and CSG.
You two are one step ahead of me. Smile I have initiated new threads but have not completed the preambles yet. That will come anon.
Not a problem and not to worry. I am certainly encouraged and invigorated and inspired by your enthusiasm.
I had a wonderful annual August cottage vacation, thank you, with many unusual wildlife adventures this year.
I look forward to another year of bald eagle watching and monitoring.
I doubt there can be a another year like Spunky Hawklet but you never know. Wherever Spunky may be I hope all of our good wishes go with him.
Live long and prosper dear Spunky.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 07:41 AM EDT  
rainna4

Morning elle and all...did you see the video from Nora on the possibility of a Spunky visit? Here is the link with Nora's permission and question on what you may think if it's him or not?? Sure looks like it to me and wouldn't that be just wonderful if it is Red Heart It's from Sept., 12 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydbim2u ... e=youtu.be

Not at all afraid of Nora, in fact seems very comfortable with her closeness....I wonder if someone could let us know how many physical/color changes would be now that he's a few months older then when we last saw him. Looks like the tail might have a hint of color change to it and is that expected now??

We need an expert eye to check this out, if possible.

Thanks and crossing my talons for this being our beloved Spunky/Stephen H/Hawklett/ and any other names people used.

Rainna
ps: After everything that has happened between Texas and Florida, I feel this possibility of a Spunky sighting is very heart felt needed for my soul. All my loved one's have made it through these disasters but continued prayers for so many others!

author unknown

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 11:18 AM EDT  
elle

Wow Sandy. That could be him. I will look at Nora's blog pictures and check with David and Lesley. The development for his age looks right to me. I will do a bit of research on that too.
Very exciting.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 11:57 AM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks for the link to Nora's video of the Red-tailed Hawk, Sandy. I don't think hawks get their red tail until about a year later. I have sent the link to David Hancock for verification.

I have read of incidences in the past where Red-tails have allowed people to come close. So we really have no way of knowing if it is Spunky, as much as we'd love to believe it.

ETA: I just spoke with David who looked at Nora's video that I sent him and he says that is definitely a young Red-tail so, who knows, it could be our Spunky.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 01:06 PM EDT  
elle

Thanks Karen. I just left a message for Lesley, too.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 02:44 PM EDT  
sassyk

Nora wrote about the chest feathers on this young RT hawk she saw and videod; she said they were different from Spunky's and I agree. If you look at Nora's and my closeup of Spunky the chest feathers are quite different. IMO, unless Spunky has already molted and grown new feathers I don't think the hawk Nora saw was Spunky.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Thursday, September 14 2017 @ 10:40 AM EDT  
rainna4

Quote by: elle

Wow Sandy. That could be him. I will look at Nora's blog pictures and check with David and Lesley. The development for his age looks right to me. I will do a bit of research on that too.
Very exciting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi elle, I have no idea how Spunkys changes/feathers might change in a few months, but either way this is one beauty of a Hawk. Thanks so much Nora for stopping and getting this beautiful video, gives hope that it could be Spunky!

Thank you all for checking into this and again Nora for her precious video......brings hope that Spunky will be in the area and continue toward his adult hawk life.

Rainna

author unknown

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: NestFriend (offline) on Thursday, September 14 2017 @ 10:49 AM EDT  
NestFriend

Thank you Elle for the new thread. Hope you had a well deserved vacation! Thank you Nora for this video! This hawk looks a lot like our Spunky. If we see him taking a bath in the bird bath, we will know for sure!

"Nothing positive will come from being negative,
and nothing negative will come from being positive."

AKA: Mimi

Forum

Profile     PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, September 14 2017 @ 11:49 AM EDT  
elle

We plan to kayak at Roberts Bay in the next few days. I will have a good look around Smile

Thanks Mimi: I had a wonderful vacation.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Thursday, September 14 2017 @ 06:16 PM EDT  
rainna4

elle, what a wonderful thing to do on a beautiful fall day! Hope you enjoy your time and crossing my talons that you might have a sighting of Spunky! How sweet would that be seeing as your the one who reported the mystery nest companion to begin with!!
Enjoy your time and looking forward to your reply after your kayak trip at Roberts Bay! So crossing my fingers, and toes !

Rainna
on a foot note just wanted to say that the migration of Canadian Geese is plentiful now in Wisconsin...I know off topic, so sorry

Image result for canadian geese migrating through wisconsin
These are geese that exclusively fly from Canada through Wisconsin along the "Mississippi River" flyway which includes Horicon Marsh and other south-eastern Wisconsin refuges. Wildlife biologists know this because they track the birds by placing bands on their necks and legs.
EEK! - Critter Corner - Canada Goose
eekwi.org/critter/bird/goose.htm

author unknown

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, September 16 2017 @ 08:48 PM EDT  
elle

We kayaked the entirety of Roberts Bay this afternoon and beyond to the north to the Van Isle Marina as well as beyond to the south to the RumRunner Pub in Sidney.
We did not see Spunky or any Red Tails at all Sad We did not see any eagles either. The watch is on.
We could see the nest from the south vantage and it is clear it is oriented that way. These eagles are blessed to have such a beautiful and wide territory. They can see all of Roberts Bay as well as all of Sidney Marina.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Sunday, September 17 2017 @ 08:55 AM EDT  
rainna4

Thank you elle for the update!, I was very much hopeful that you would see Spunky as I'm sure you were, still sounds like you had a wonderful time with your day on the water. I can only imagine how beautiful that scenery is and your front row seat to it's beauty! Thank you again for the update and hopefully a sighting will happen soon.

Rainna

author unknown

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Sunday, September 17 2017 @ 11:29 AM EDT  
elle

Thanks Rainna: Unfortunately I did not replace my waterproof camera when it ceased to be waterproof again, for the second time , a few years ago. So I did not have a camera to take photos. It is an entirely different perspective from the water and I love it. We are getting as many paddles in as we can while the weather conditions hold. Boats are on the car and gear in the back so we are ready to go any time.
Eagles should be starting to come back soon. I hear the gulls every morning screeching over something but it is not an eagle yet. I hope my owl comes back to my yard soon too. The crows will let me know when that happens. Smile
Talons crossed for a Spunky sighting.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Thursday, September 21 2017 @ 06:08 PM EDT  
rainna4

Hi elle, so happy your in the ready, set, go mode for a paddle. It's amazing how much nature can bring one such peace, comfort, and happiness just to be in it.
I'm sorry to hear about your camera and maybe just maybe Santa might be generous and have a special surprise for you.

I was on a bike ride recently and had a beautiful Adult Eagle fly low over my head, I felt it was my reassurance that all was ok with another pair of Eagles that I have followed for a few years now, after a hurricane went over it's territor, but I digress....I pulled over on my bike and saw a huge red tail Hawk sitting in a dead tree looking oh so beautiful, I really was excited, first the Eagle and within 10 feet off the road was the HUGE hawk, and yes we have a residence Eagles and Red Tails in the area and I've seen him many times fly over my house, but this was the closest I've ever come to a wild Red Tail Hawk, he started to fly and I was trying to get a picture of it on my cell phone, well you know when it's a sunny day it's hard to tell just what your doing on a cell. When I arrived home and pulled up the picture, it turned out to be a selfie Rant, after some not so nice words flowed, I then had a good hardy chuckle out of my missed opportunity! You know those are few and far between and missing it was distasteful on my part.

Take care and hopefully you will be able to replace your camera sooner rather then later.

author unknown

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Thursday, September 21 2017 @ 06:12 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Rainna, rest assured that your description of what transpired today is just as good as a picture. You did not miss the opportunity, you used it for what it was meant to be and I can see exactly what you saw from your words.

An eagle was soaring over my head, I was astounded and joyous,
so I turned and smiled...and then.....

Wow, a red tailed hawk right there just near me, telling me it's story,
and that my friends is how I felt glory, life is good.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Thursday, September 21 2017 @ 06:42 PM EDT  
rainna4

Woodlands Bleu, tears flowing right now and your words are so beautiful, thank you so much! Kindness is so beautiful and meant to be shared and passed on!

Oh My Goodness, so precious Red Heart
Thank you
Rainna

author unknown

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Sunday, September 24 2017 @ 11:16 AM EDT  
rainna4

Hello elle,

I was watching a new You Tube video from Christian S., and became very excited at a comment made by him at the time of 15:10 thru 15:37 involving a picture of Stephen Hawkins/AKA: Spunky and a few other endearing names our beautiful Red tail hawk goes by. He stated that David H., sent him a recent picture that might well be our Spunky. First off I suspect ( ? ) this might be a picture from Nora's video of the Red tail in question. But thrilled to know that Christian not only is going to do a deep comparision of pictures he has, with the one that David H., sent him. He also stated that he has someone else that he may inquire their expertise on trying to verify if this is indeed Spunky. I'm so very thrilled to hear this news and wait for his expert opinion on the recent picture he received.

Here is a link to his most recent video he posted titled: Eagles, Hawks & Next Steps, stop at the 15:10 time. I look forward to your thoughts on this exciting news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cbv8XeFz1U

posted with Christian Sassy permission

Rainna
aka: Sandy D

author unknown

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 01:49 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate