The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Delta O.W.L., BC Bald Eagle Nest
 O.W.L. Rehabilitation Society
 |  Printable Version
By: sandra gee (offline) on Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 11:27 AM EDT  
sandra gee

Good Morning wave

Jewill .....thanks for posting the adorable photo of the tiny ducklings. I really appreciate the backgrounds you add to the photos.

Soph Left thumb up beautiful photos of the juvie.

Kay, thanks for posting your photos taken the day of OWL's Open House. Your photos are beautiful. I'm unable to click any of them larger though. I was trying to click the one of the juvie that hung around for so long..... looking for a leg band. I absolutely love the photo of the two adult bald eagles together, it almost looks like a painting. The fence adds an interesting 'touch' to the picture ClappingClapping.

Thanks again to all who contribute to this thread Smile.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 01:49 PM EDT  
sassyk

wave Thanks Sandra. I don't know why you can't enlarge the pics by clicking them:dunno: I don't have a problemRoll eyes I have resized them to 750px X 600px before posting them so that's as big as they'll get, but you should be able to enlarge them on your screen. Lesley and I discussed the possibility of the juvie being Bandit or a juvie from a previous season but we saw no leg band. I have cropped 2 pics taken from different angles and you can see there is no leg band on either leg. The pics were both taken with my Canon PowerShot. You can click these pics bigger as well.
Click on image to download
Click on image to download

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 05:57 PM EDT  
sandra gee

Thanks Kay wave, I'm able to enlarge these ones with no problem....

I'd like to think this juvie is one we know....Wub

Thanks again for posting them....Smile

Sandra, Nanaimo BC

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Tuesday, May 18 2010 @ 11:22 PM EDT  
birdofprey

Thanks for the great photos, Kay, and the background info on the birds, jewill. Nice juvie, soph9, I wonder if it is the same one as we saw hanging around during the weekend of the open house? Puzzled impossible to know without a band.

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Bluee () on Wednesday, May 19 2010 @ 11:16 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Bluee

Quote by: sassyk

wave Thanks Sandra. I don't know why you can't enlarge the pics by clicking them:dunno: I don't have a problemRoll eyes I have resized them to 750px X 600px before posting them so that's as big as they'll get, but you should be able to enlarge them on your screen. Lesley and I discussed the possibility of the juvie being Bandit or a juvie from a previous season but we saw no leg band. I have cropped 2 pics taken from different angles and you can see there is no leg band on either leg. The pics were both taken with my Canon PowerShot. You can click these pics bigger as well.

As I remember it, Bandit was not banded. When Bandit was released he had the OWL band on and it was expected to fall off.

I believe Danny was banded but Dawn was not?

The updates are great and very much appreciated.

By: sandra gee (offline) on Wednesday, May 19 2010 @ 09:02 PM EDT  
sandra gee

Hi Bluee wave my understanding is that any bird that enters OWL is banded with a permanent band prior to it's release. Bandit had a temporary pink band as well. Bev has mentioned that by now it's probably fallen off.

Danny was banded prior to his release....Dawn was not, as she remained free.

If I'm incorrect in any of the above, please feel free to correct me...thanks

Sandra, Nanaimo BC

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, May 20 2010 @ 12:37 AM EDT  
MaryF

Quote by: sandra gee

Hi Bluee wave my understanding is that any bird that enters OWL is banded with a permanent band prior to it's release. Bandit had a temporary pink band as well. Bev has mentioned that by now it's probably fallen off.

Danny was banded prior to his release....Dawn was not, as she remained free.

If I'm incorrect in any of the above, please feel free to correct me...thanks

That's the way I remember it too Sandra. People were just hoping the pink one would stay on so he could be identified easily but he did have a regular band on. In fact I think they had to wait to release him til the "bander" could get over to OWL to band him.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Thursday, May 20 2010 @ 12:59 PM EDT  
sandra gee

Hi MaryF wave.....

Delta Dan fell from the nest on July 22/08 and was released on August 28/08. Even though he was only about a week away from fledging, the problem with his release was finding a Master Bander to band him. If I remember correctly the first bander could only do songbirds so they had to wait a bit longer.

Bandit fell out of the nest on July 30/09 and was released on Nov 21/09.
Bandit needed to spend more time at OWL due to weak wing muscles (we all know he did not have a lot of room for wingercising in the nest). In the end what contributed to an even later release was the fact that there were no eagles in his home area, therefore, it was decided to release him on the Harrison/Chehalis Delta where hundreds of eagles gather each year in late Fall to feast on spawning salmon. He was released the weekend of the Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival. As well as a permanent band he was given the pink band, which, as mentioned in my above post, has probably fallen off by now.

When Ralph released Bandit he turned and flew clear across the river, leaving no doubt that his time at OWL had been well spent in developing those wing muscles Left thumb up. I will never forget forget the awe of seeing him fly so gracefully!

Whew!!!!!! think I've got this right wave.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:01 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate