Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Delta O.W.L., BC Bald Eagle Nest
 O.W.L. Rehabilitation Society
 |  Printable Version
By: birdofprey (offline) on Sunday, April 18 2010 @ 11:46 AM EDT  
birdofprey

This is a golden eagle who is getting trained on the glove to become an education bird. It was hit by a vehicle and had to have its wing amputated.Sad
Click on image to download

These are the resident golden eagles - Goldie and Merritt. Sadly neither of their eggs have survived. They were probably infertile.

one of the eagles in the eagle flight cage (taken with a long lens - I was a good distance away)

I have posted photos of Delta1 and DeltaOWL nests on the ground observers thread.

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: jewill (offline) on Sunday, April 18 2010 @ 10:42 PM EDT  
jewill

Fantastic pictures Birdofprey...thank you for posting them. You captured my little sweetie Sarah perfectly. You mentioned also that neither of Goldie and Merritt's eggs survived - no one was holding out much hope for them but it's still sad that it ended so soon.
The Open House was a resounding success! Hundreds of people came out today and I think the weather played a large part, as it was perfect - sunny and warm. I was in the Front Education area answering questions and explaining about some of the permanent resident birds there. I just about lost my voice from all the talking. Just before 1 pm we had to gather up everyone and direct them over to the release area. By the time I got there I had to stand way in the back in order to let the visitors get the best view, so (you guessed it) I didn't get any pictures. I just have a little pocket size Canon digital camera and the lens is not powerful enough to take long distance shots. Ellen got some though so hopefully she will post them. The release went off without a hitch, the juvie flying straight out over the field next door, then towards Boundary Bay and finally catching a thermal which took him fairly high up. He was originally found near the Vancouver International Airport which is just a short hop (for an eagle) from OWL so maybe he was headed back there. It was as if he said "Gee, thanks for all the fish, but I'm outta here" (yes, even I humanize them sometimes). He was last seen soaring on the thermals with another juvie so maybe there is a future pairing in the making.
So it's back to normal now for OWL. Since it's nesting season we will probably start seeing some babies who have fallen out of their nests but hopefully not too many. I'll try to post on a regular basis even if it's just routine stuff, or definitely when something interesting happens.

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada
(Photo used with permission)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Sunday, April 18 2010 @ 11:54 PM EDT  
birdofprey

Thank you, Judy/jewill. Smile I'm sorry I wasn't there today to have met you and Ellen - and to have enjoyed the sunshine and the eagle release.Nodding yes

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: bev. (offline) on Monday, April 19 2010 @ 01:07 PM EDT  
bev.

I cam e in here becasue I knew it was Owl open house on the weekend and there would be pictures.

thanks BOP for the nice shots

Thank you for all the reports jewill

I was so looking forward to Delta nests again but maybe next year.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, April 20 2010 @ 10:09 AM EDT  
jkr

Click to see full size news article

New article from The Province

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 20 2010 @ 10:48 AM EDT  
JudyB

Nice picture of the aviary - and interesting to see the pools. Slightly off-topic, but one of the other cams we're watching (Carolina Raptor Center) is currently focused on an eaglet in a hacking tower - and we've noticed her enjoying her tub of water. I was thinking that there were similar tubs in the flight pens at O.W.L. - and your picture shows that they not only have tubs, but it also looks as if this area has a real pool as well!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, April 20 2010 @ 11:06 AM EDT  
jkr

This is in the pool cage.
It's difficult to see but there is water in the pool.
It's going to be a great place for the birds -- especially osprey that need to fish.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Wednesday, April 21 2010 @ 09:24 PM EDT  
birdofprey

yes, all the cages seemed to have a water dish (or wading pond!) in them.

The pond cage has a large pool - so that osprey and eagles can practice their fishing skills before release.Smile

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:24 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate