The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Delta O.W.L., BC Bald Eagle Nest
 O.W.L. Rehabilitation Society
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, March 29 2010 @ 02:06 AM EDT  
MaryF

Thank You for the "newsy" post jewill!! I really enjoyed it. To bad that you had to get all soggy but it was for a good cause I guess! Grin

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: JudiMN () on Monday, March 29 2010 @ 07:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous: JudiMN

thanks so much for the update Jewell! sounds like a hard wet day for you. hope you a nice hot cup of tea when you got home.

I love all of the pictures with Rob and Sonsie. Their bond is pretty amazing isn't it?

thanks again, glad to know Ma & Pa Delta Owl are ok. Hope they figure out how and where to build a nest for next year

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, March 29 2010 @ 09:55 AM EDT  
jkr

jewill thanks for sharing your day at OWL with us and thanks so much for taking such good care of the raptors.

Does all that mud mean I might need to take my boots to OWL in April ? Faint Crossing my fingers for nicer weather !

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Monday, March 29 2010 @ 01:14 PM EDT  
stim

Judy, no need to apologize for your bedraggled appearance yesterday! You should wear the wet and the mud with pride for what you accomplish at OWL.
My sister and I decided to save the Ladner visit and Bandit's old nest for another day trip as we had a couple more stops to make yesterday and I, a ferry to catch to get home. We did see the remains of the Delta OWL nest, sadly, and were totally enthralled with the number of eagles flying around, perching in trees and sitting in fields. Given that almost half the adults should be on nests makes the numbers even more impressive.
Looking forward to returning with my husband for the open house. See you then!
Sandra

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jewill (offline) on Monday, March 29 2010 @ 10:24 PM EDT  
jewill

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.
I re-read my post and thought that it may come across that I'm complaining too much. I certainly didn't mean for it to appear that way. I really enjoy my time at OWL; I've volunteered at a couple of different places and this one tops them all for making me feel welcome and appreciated. You are never asked to do anything that you don't feel comfortable with and there's always someone readily available to help out when needed. I do want to get the point across to potential volunteers that it's not just getting to come and play with the fluffy birds (although there is time for that too), but there's work involved, some of it hard and dirty. Many times enthusiastic volunteers show up only to find out what is really involved in wildlife rehab and then you never see them again. It can be heartbreaking when, despite all efforts, a bird doesn't survive. But there's the feeling of total exhilaration when it all goes right too, like with Bandit. And hopefully 2 of the juvies currently in Field Flights will fly their way to freedom at the Open House (btw - the release will happen around noon, give or take 1 hour, both days). I am now both privileged and honoured to be actively involved with the onsite education program, teaching all about OWL and conservation to the school kids who come to visit.
Now I do like to complain about the weather! Like today for instance - I can honestly say that I'm glad I wasn't at OWL. The property is at sea level and when it rains there is nowhere for the excess water to go. Well today there was a torrential downpour for about 2 hours, along with thunder, lightning and high winds. I'm sure it is beyond mucky out there. And it's supposed to the same tomorrow - yikes! So "yes" if you are coming to the Open House and there has been any significant rainfall in the previous few days, bring your boots. Please, everyone, give a peace offering to the weather god for, if not sunny skies, at least remaining dry for the week preceeding and for April 17-18.
Bye for now.

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada
(Photo used with permission)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jewill (offline) on Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 10:39 PM EDT  
jewill

Well here is something a little different, for a bird rehab centre anyway...
About 2 weeks ago a stray cat wandered on to the OWL property. She was too friendly to be a feral cat so we think she was probably someone's pet who, for whatever reason, couldn't look after her anymore and dumped her in the area. She made her way onto the property no doubt looking for some food. A local vet agreed to spay her, give her all necessary vaccinations and deworm her, all for free! Now we are looking for a good home for her. From what we can tell she's about 2-3 years old, brown with orange and white spots (a tortoise shell?) and she's a real love bug. She is very comfortable living indoors, in one of our Inside Interim cages, so she should probably remain an indoor only cat.
It's weird walking in to the back area and hearing this mournful meow coming from one of the cages (they are actually small rooms). Normally it's fairly quiet in the back since the birds that are there are still recovering from their injuries. If you hear anything it's just a few beak snaps or maybe a hoot or a hiss depending on what species is residing there, so like I said, it's a little unnerving.
Please if anyone can help give us a call at (604) 946-3171 any day. I'd take her myself but I already have 3 cats and 1 dog so I'm at my limit.
As for OWL it was a busy day today - we were low on volunteers. The little Pygmy Owl that was featured in the BT Interview last week has now been released.
I didn't see either of the Delta OWL pair today. As you can see from the camera view, what little remained of the nest was almost completely destroyed by the wind storm on Monday. Oh well, sigh sign, here's to next year.

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, April 01 2010 @ 12:10 AM EDT  
MaryF

jewill...Yes...she would indeed be a "torti" or tortoise shell cat. I have one of those myself in my herd of 4 kitties. The other 3 are blue-eyed Siamese mixes. What a wonderful thing for that vet to do for your little guest. I sure hope that you can find her a safe and loving indoor home...she deserves it. All 4 of my girls were rescues. I literally plucked them from the street and now they are all pampered, totally indoor cats! I wish I could take her but San Antonio is a far piece from where you are!!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: jewill (offline) on Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 10:40 PM EDT  
jewill

The cat has found her forever home LOL. She was adopted yesterday by one of the carpenters who are onsite rebuilding the eagles' flight cage. She will have an older cat to keep her company and 2 children to play with. Reports so far indicate that the resident cat was not too impressed with the new addition, but that is to be expected. I'm sure they will work things out very soon.
Nothing too exciting to report at OWL today. One of the juvie bald eagles was released near Kelowna (in the interior of BC) where he was found and another one has been identified for release at the Open House. It was extremely windy and cold today; when I opened the door of one of our resident education birds cage (Snoopy, a saw-whet owl) he was sitting in his tree and almost got blown off of his perch. His row of cages is along the southern edge of the property so the wind blows off of Boundary Bay directly at them. Fortunately there is a solid wall on that side so it's only a problem when you open the door. Snoopy is just fine even though he got his little feathers ruffled a bit.
I didn't see either Ma or Pa Delta today but that was no surprise considering the weather. I'm guessing they were hunkered down somewhere safe and warm. In fact, I didn't see many eagles at all which is unusual since normally they are all over the place.
Only a week and a half to go until Open House...can't wait!

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:52 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate