The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Delta O.W.L., BC Bald Eagle Nest
 O.W.L. Rehabilitation Society
 |  Printable Version
By: jewill (offline) on Sunday, June 13 2010 @ 10:21 PM EDT  
jewill

It's been so long since anyone has posted in this forum I thought I'd check in, if for nothing else just to say "hi" wave
I went on my first rescue today at OWL. It was for a Barred Owl that someone had found on the path in one of the area parks (Hume Park in New Westminster for you locals). By the time we got there he had made his way about 15 feet into the bush and was sitting on a branch. Emily, my partner, simply walked right up to him and grabbed him; he didn't put up a fight at all. When we got back to OWL it was determined that his leg was broken and he was emaciated; probably because of the injury he has been unable to hunt for several days. He was given fluids by injection and fed a little bit of quail breast (not too much so as not to overwhelm his digestive system). He will be taken to the vet on Monday for an x-ray of his leg. If the break is on one of the long bones then he stands a good chance at recovery and release; if the break is at the knee...well let's just say that wouldn't be a good thing.
The baby Barn Owls are all doing well; we now have several more since the 6 nestlings came in (I didn't count, but I would guess at least 15). The baby Barred Owls are also doing very well and we are up to 10 of them. We moved the 3 from Powell River into a large outside flight cage today so they have lots of room to fly around which they are all doing now. Of course, all of these babies have ravenous appetites and we actually ran out of mice last week! None of them went hungry though, as we still had some rats and quail.
Other than that things are pretty much "as usual" at OWL. Wish I could give you something more interesting, or post a picture, but so far they don't want any photos taken. Maybe when they are released I'll be able to snap one or two (no promises).

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada
(Photo used with permission)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Sunday, June 13 2010 @ 10:54 PM EDT  
sandra gee

Hey Jewill wave Everyday I keep looking for an update Smile, so thanks for adding one tonight.
Got my fingers crossed and saying a little prayer for the Barred Owl you and Emily (Hi Emily wave) rescued today. Unfortunate as his broken leg is, he is fortunate to have ended up at OWL, and, hopefully it's a break that can be treated. I know if there is any way to help him OWL will find it Left thumb up. (Please post an update on him when you can, thanks)

Nice to have good news about alllllll the babies in your care, both the Barn and Barred Owls. Glad to hear the 3 from Powell River are progressing nicely too Wub.

A small group of us sent donations a short time ago to OWL and HWF and... there's one more on the way to OWL. Hopefully these will help in filling some of those hungry tummys love. I must say, donating through OWL's website is pretty easy, even for me Nodding yesLeft thumb up.

Thanks again Thank You Jewill, and as much as we'd love to see a photo or two, I understand totally that's it's not always possible.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Monday, June 14 2010 @ 01:47 AM EDT  
birdofprey

Thanks for the update, jewill. I'm always interested to hear about the animals at OWL. Nodding yes

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, June 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM EDT  
sassyk

waveJudy, thanks for the update at OWL; it is always so much appreciatedNodding yes

I have been wondering if any HWF members who visited the Open House in April (on Sunday) took any pictures; I haven't see any photos of the eagle release postedSad

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jewill (offline) on Wednesday, June 16 2010 @ 10:55 PM EDT  
jewill

I found out today that the Barred Owl that was rescued on Sunday died in his cage :cry1:. Apparently his injuries and the resulting shock were just too much for his little body to cope with. It frequently happens that way...an injured animal who is out and exposed in the wild will fight for survival with every ounce of energy they have in them, going so far as to drag themselves to a hiding place. Then once they are out of danger it's as if they know they don't have to fight anymore and they quietly pass away. At least he went peacefully and was not at the mercy of predators.
Sassy, I read your comments about the absence of Open House pictures. I am going to take a chance here and post 3 of the pictures that Ellen took and subsequently sent to me, since she seems to be hiding from the forum. Even she will admit that they are not the best and that's because she did not have a very good vantage point from which to capture the moment.
So here you are...
Click on image to download
I know you're out there lurking Ellen, and I hope you aren't mad Mad at me for doing this (I don't think you will be), but everyone has been waiting long enough Wink!

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada
(Photo used with permission)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, June 16 2010 @ 11:45 PM EDT  
sassyk

waveJudy, thanks so much for posting Ellen's pics. And please thank her for taking them; they are beautifulLeft thumb up I was looking forward to seeing an eagle release this year but I was there on Sat. and it was a dull, drizzly daySad The company was great thoughLeft thumb up

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Thursday, June 17 2010 @ 01:15 PM EDT  
stim

Kay, thanks for following up on getting us some pictures of the release and Judy for posting them so quickly. As another Sat attendee at the Open House I appreciate seeing this juvie flying free. Ellen, I hope you don't mind our viewing them. They are so special.
Sandra Thank YouThank YouThank You

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, June 17 2010 @ 01:35 PM EDT  
MaryF

Judy...Thanks for posting Ellen's pics of the release! What a beautiful juvi!! love I love the way it's talons look hanging down in the middle picture. Where ever you are Ellen....Thank You

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:13 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate