https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - White Rock Nest Camera Archive
 White Rock Area 2012 Ground Observers
 |  Printable Version
By: SoCal EagleFan (offline) on Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 01:12 PM EST  
SoCal EagleFan

Wow Christian, great pictures and description on what you were seeing and hearing.
Thanks

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 01:27 PM EST  
JudyB

Great pictures and report, Christian! I know that eagles break off branches to bring to their nests - how wonderful to actually see them doing it! Thank you!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Carole (offline) on Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 01:43 PM EST  
Carole

Ah ha! As I watched them scurry to and from the nest today I was wondering about the collection of materials for the nest. Thanks for answering my question Christian. I was hoping you were out checking out the nest this morning. There was an incredible amount of activity with breath taking fly ins and outs of the nest.

aka Cococat9

Forum

Washington

Profile Email   PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 03:33 PM EST  
AnniesKatz

Wow Christian! You really have caught some wonderful action shots of Mom and Dad. I can't believe your luck in catching Dad break off that limb. I think I have only seen one other photo of an eagle doing that. I am so glad you were there and how lucky for us too! Thank you!!

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: Christian (offline) on Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 04:02 PM EST  
Christian

Thank you again to all of you and your kind and appreciative words! You would be amazed to hear how noisy it gets when the branches crack from the powerful landing!

Here are some more images from this morning - I apologize for the poor image quality below being out of focus due to the fact that there are many trees, the demand for very quick reaction time whilst holding a very heavy lens and camera with only one hand (the other hand is needed for shutter release) and the poor contrast of trees and eagle so we are at the limits of what the electronic fast focus of a 420mm lens can achieve.

Nevertheless they do serve as documentation which may be of interest to you all. The third image shows the "crash". it actually looks crazy.

More to come, I promise my eagle friends Sitting eagleNodding yes
Click on image to download

Also the people in the neighborhood are beginning to notice the action and photography so more are aware of eagles now and interest is growing in a positive way.

Christian
In my dreams I am an Eagle
Please note that my images may be used for promotion of eagle preservation and non-profit purposes only - feel free to use the high resolution images and kindly acknowledge me. Thank you.

Forum

White Rock, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Christian (offline) on Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 09:22 PM EST  
Christian

It was a coolish windy afternoon, and I walked past the nest on the beach and spotted both Mom and Dad soaring elegantly above the ocean. They would use the tail wind to drift quickly South along the railway tracks parallel to the beach and then slowly float back in opposite direction. Sometimes they would glide across the ocean for about a mile and then return.

Whilst there may not have much action in the nest, the opposite was true for the lovely view point across the ocean. I spotted about 8 eagles high above, trying to attract attention to one specific (female?).

Here are some action shots, enjoy, even if the weather was a bit dull. I presume the eagle with the feather missing on the left wing may have been female who features in all images flying lower. Any comments?

Christian
Please note that my images may be used for promotion of eagle preservation and non-profit purposes only - feel free to use the high resolution images and kindly acknowledge me. Thank you.

Forum

White Rock, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Christian (offline) on Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 09:41 PM EST  
Christian

And some more (refer to previous text)

Christian

Forum

White Rock, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Jean (offline) on Sunday, November 13 2011 @ 09:51 PM EST  
Jean

Wow Christian! You had a busy day indeed! It must be great to live so close that you can go often to watch from the beach below. I loved your pictures. They are a real gift to all of us who wish we could be there too. Thanks so much!Thank You Sitting eagle

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:10 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate