By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, February 06 2011 @ 10:53 AM EST  
JudyB

February 6 - 12, 2011

February 6 s'cap:
Click on image to download

February 6
- brief visit by both observed in the evening

February 7
- one eagle (Mom?) there 7:59 - 8:37 am; may have eaten in nest; garyandjudy got a great pic of the departure
- afternoon visit by both - seen at nest at 3:05 pm, left at 3:39 pm; more lovely pics including departing shot by terrytvgal

February 8
- 10:43 am - eagle (Dad?) in the nest, arranging sticks; left around 11 am
- someone there at 11:30 and at 11:58; not sure if he/she stayed the whole time
- eagle on the nest as of 5:46 pm; second one arrives; both leave by 5:59 pm

February 9

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, February 20 2011 @ 02:11 PM EST  
JudyB

February 13 - 19, 2011

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, February 20 2011 @ 02:12 PM EST  
JudyB

February 20 - 26, 2011

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 09:09 PM EDT  
JudyB

February 27 - March 5, 2011

February 27 s'cap of the nest

As of the afternoon of February 27, the Discussion thread had 1,242 posts and 22,047 views; the Timeline thread had 280 views.

In the hopes of keeping this somewhat current, I'm generally going to provide links to the opening post for each day, and a fairly basic summary just to show that I've reviewed the posts for that day; if anything out of the ordinary happened, I'll note it. Perhaps in time I'll be able to fill in more details.

February 27

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 09:11 PM EDT  
JudyB

March 6 - 12, 2011

March 6 s'caps of the nest

As of the morning of March 6, the Discussion thread had 1,381 posts and 24,281 views; the Timeline thread had 309 views.

In the hopes of keeping this somewhat current, I'm generally going to provide links to the opening post for each day, and a fairly basic summary just to show that I've reviewed the posts for that day; if anything out of the ordinary happened, I'll note it. Perhaps in time I'll be able to fill in more details.

March 6

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM EDT  
JudyB

March 13 - 19, 2011

March 13 s'cap:

As of the morning of March 13, the Discussion thread had 1,575 posts and 27,662 views; the Timeline thread had 340 views.

March 13
- 6:44 am - still dark and both in the nest; Dad left around 6:55; Mom did some digging and nestling, then left at 7:08 am
- 7:24 am - Mom back on the nest, stayed until 8:39; looked as if she might be in labor but no egg; Dad arrived right after she left, practiced nestling in (not sure when he left)
- 10:15 am - both on nest. then up into tree; one brought large batch of straw; both gone by 11:00 am
- 11:30 am - Dad back to tree; Mom arrives in nest at 11:43 am; Dad leaves tree at 11:51; Mom still there as of 12:05 pm
- 2:03 pm - adult laying in nest bowl, then spends some time looking as if she might lay an egg
- 2:24 pm - Mom did poop shot on edge of nest then hopped up to a branch; back into nest at 3:05 pm; Dad brings dinner at 3:30 pm
- 4:25 pm - Mom in egg-laying position with feathers fluffed out (link)
- 4:31 pm - First Egg Laid (link) - lots of pictures - video by gemini of last 4 minutes of egg-laying
- 5:05 pm - first egg roll - video by lovethebabies - video by beans
- not sure of all of the times, but Dad arrived with food, Mom left at 6:41, Dad ate some of the food and stayed by the egg but didn't incubate; Dad out and Mom in at 7:24, and Mom resumed incubation for the night; hard to see but it looks as if Dad was perched in the tree.
- there was some concern that the egg looked a bit misshapen, and as I was doing the timeline it occurred to me to check the high res archives which showed that it was grass on the egg that made it look as if the shell was thicker in some places than others (link to comparison of cam res and high res shots of the egg)

March 14
- 7:21 am - switch - Mom leaves, Dad arrives, does some digging and rearranging then incubates
- 8:22 am - possible switch - both on nest, one left, other began incubating, not sure which
- 10:35 am - possible intruder alert - both at nest calling then both fly off; Mom back two minutes later, rearranges, stands over egg a bit, then incubates
- 11:40 am - both on nest, possible switch
- 1:30 pm - switch - male left, female flew in
- 4:40 pm - switch - Dad arrives in tree, Mom leaves, Dad digs in nest bowl then incubates
- 5:40 pm - Mom on egg; off for quick flight 6:00-6:01; makes series of calls 6:05 - 6:14; off egg and calling from branch 6:27; Dad arrives with food at 6:37, then leaves; egg uncovered while Mom eats; nest empty at 7:02 pm (not sure how long egg was uncovered - temperature forecast was 9C/49F - as an aside, it's not unusual for the first egg to only be incubated some of the time, perhaps so the eggs will hatch closer together)
- 7:30 pm - Mom incubating

March 15
- 2:35 am - Mom was sleeping at least a half hour standing over the egg (overnight temperature only a few degrees cooler); Mom was incubating when checked at 4:54 am and 6:00 am
- There were great reports from a number of people, lots of s'caps, and a couple of videos. The adults did a bit of alarm calling twice, suggesting that another eagle or large bird was coming too close for comfort. And they took turns incubating their egg. When/if I have more time, I may come back and add more details, but in the interest of getting caught up, I'll mostly be noting anything out of the ordinary.
- 11:25 pm - Mom was standing over the nest, fluffed up like she was when she laid the first egg; then she nestled in and went to sleep

March 16
- 7:05 am - Mom leaves nest, showing still just one egg
- 7:32 am - intruder near the nest; a blue string or line or wire was seen in the nest (video by sassyk)
- great reports, s'caps and videos during the day; likely other eagles in the area as they were on alert some of the time
- 8:01 pm - Mom seems restless, moving around on the nest; by about 8:13 she was in egg laying position; rocking back and forth, seemed to be straining (link)
- 8:27 pm - Second Egg Laid - video by yalitldevl
- Mom seemed quite exhausted and went to sleep after checking her eggs

March 17
- blue string no longer visible; seemed to be a peaceful day at the nest, with both adults sharing incubation; I didn't notice any reports of the eggs being uncovered for more than a minute or two while they traded places - which is what I'd expect now that the second egg has been laid.
- 7:40 pm - final shift change, with Mom taking over for the night; it was getting dark as she arrived

March 18
- peaceful day, good pictures and reports

March 19
- rainy morning, good pictures of Mom in "mumbrella" position keeping as much of the nest as possible dry; sunny much of the day; some wonderful s'caps today, and videos!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, March 22 2011 @ 05:36 AM EDT  
JudyB

March 20 - 26, 2011

March 20 s'cap

As of the afternoon of March 20, the Discussion thread had 1,828 posts and 33,314 views; the Timeline thread had 428 views.

March 20
- great reports; they continue taking turns incubating;
- 2:36 pm - another eagle comes to close and garyandjudy managed to get a s'cap of the chase - link

March 21
- rainy part of the day; some nice detailed reports and s'caps of exchanges
- One observer noted "I had notes, s'caps from the last 2+ hours and lost it due to being "timed out" or "connection reset". Site is having real problems."

March 22
- Mom on nest in the morning; regular shift changes during the day and at least one food delivery; Mom on the nest as it gets dark

March 23
- lots of lovely s'caps of incubating and shift changes

March 24
- incubation continues; a bit of alarm calling in the afternoon with s'cap of two large birds in the distance (lovely view!); tide very low with the full moon close to earth

March 25
- nice pictures of fly-ins and fly-outs today

March 26
- someone came in near the nest in the morning and was fended off by Dad - no pic as it happened too fast for that or for an ID; warm day at the nest; afternoon video by sassyk; lovely sunset pictures

It is wonderful to be able to watch these eagles at such a lovely nest.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 03 2011 @ 06:14 AM EDT  
JudyB

March 27 - April 2, 2011

March 27 s'cap of the nest

As of the morning of March 27, the Discussion thread had 1,935 posts and 37,220 views; the Timeline thread had 516 views.

March 27

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:39 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate