The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Associated Web Cameras > South African Eagle Owls in Potted Plant Stand
 Spotted Eagle Owl-2012- Johannesburg
 |  Printable Version
By: Tweet Dreams (offline) on Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 10:48 AM EDT  
Tweet Dreams

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Good Morning, Lori, MaryF and All!
We're getting closer!!Cheers Here's the latest post by Tracy:

Saturday, September 1, 2012
1st September and PPO arrives..
It's official. On this first very warm day of Spring, Pot Plant Owl is comfortably sitting in the pot plant.

This morning we woke up early and checked the balcony for any signs of our owl visitors. The sun was just rising and there seemed to be no owl in sight. A few minutes later, I happened to look on the balcony again.

And there she was - standing on the balcony railing staring straight at me. I knew immediately that PPO wanted to move in and nest, so I quickly hid out of view. No sooner had I done that, I heard a murder of crows on the rooftop nearby. The crows were perched on the edge of the rooftop - staring in the direction of Pot Plant Owl on the balcony railing, waiting to attack.

I stuck my head out of the window, and in my best immitation of Allan's 'crow-crowing-with-flailing-arms' stunt, I scared the crows off pretty quickly. (Perhaps 'scared' is not the correct word. They were probably not the least bit afraid of me, but thought me too odd to hang around near). With crows away, I turned my attention to PPO again.

The little stinker! While I was protecting the territory, she seized the opportunity to settle down into the pot plant container. But hold on - that's not the 'stinky' part of this tale.

I know that PPO knows where the cameras and the microphone are. I know that she has sussed this all out long before this morning. I know she, along with Pappa, saw us all puzzling over the best angles and distances for the camera views and sound. And I bet, she sat and chuckled to herself thinking: 'Just you wait, you know-it-all-humans!' - a message that, were I an animal with general telepathic abilities, I would have picked up days ago.

PPO a.k.a. Little Stinker is dozing off in the 'wrong' pot plant. She's sitting pretty in the pot plant NOT covered by the big camera, night light, microphone...

For the first time in 5 years, Pot Plant Owl has chosen the far pot plant as her nest for this year, and there is nothing we can do about it.Except change the camera, swivel the night light, move the microphone....

What has caused this change of pot plant container? We don't know for certain, but I suspect a lot has to do with the increase in crows in the Jozi area, and in our area in particular. The container she has chosen has a small 'Mickey Mouse' bush in it. She ducks out of sight of crows perfectly. Very close to the container is a reed wall cover which further protects her from the crows. And perhaps PPO wants more cover from our summer thunderstorms. Who knows!

Sigh! She's been here for 8 hours and already she's got us running around after her.
Still, I wouldn't have it any other way...

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
~~Jean~~

Forum

Aiken, South
Carolina

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 01:51 PM EDT  
golden1

They do seem to know how to outsmart their people that is for sure. Jean thanks for bringing this to the thread. love

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 02:32 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

ohhhhh naughty girl PPO!! Green LOL I thought for sure she was going to say that she lined up and fired a poo shot at the cam. I like this outcome better hehe

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 01:17 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

:hello:Jean, Lori and Donna... It is getting exciting...Looking forward to another season here....Clapping

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Tweet Dreams (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 01:18 PM EDT  
Tweet Dreams

Whooooohoo!! We have our first egg!!!Cheers

The cam is still not streaming but will be anytime now. Here's Tracy's post from a little while ago:

‎3 September: one egg in the new pot plant container and PPO seems quite at home. We managed to turn the camera around so hopefully we will be going live soon...

Hi Donna and Bev! Thanks for stopping in. Looks like the cam will be up and streaming any time now!!! Our new season is about to begin!Since PPO has opted for the new potted plant, it will be interesting to have a different view.

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
~~Jean~~

Forum

Aiken, South
Carolina

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 01:31 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

woooooooooohoooooooooooooo PPO!!! Wub Egg hatch:

Hi to Tweet, Mary, Donna and Bev :hello:

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 03:34 PM EDT  
birdofprey

Oh boy the fun begins! Egg hatch: Good thing they were able to turn the camera around. Phew

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 04:15 PM EDT  
MaryF

I hope they turn the cam on soon. It will be interesting to see the new view. PPO was pretty sneaky!!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:37 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate