The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Associated Web Cameras > South African Eagle Owls in Potted Plant Stand
 Spotted Eagle Owl-2012- Johannesburg
 |  Printable Version
By: Tweet Dreams (offline) on Wednesday, August 15 2012 @ 12:00 PM EDT  
Tweet Dreams

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Another post from Tracy. Can't wait till the cam is turned on so we can watch PPO and Pappa's mating and nest preparations!!!

Pot Plant Owl
10 hours ago.

Lots of territorial hooting and mating calls last night. Jumping in and out of the pot plant container. Very funny to watch but sorry - cant take any photos of it. I don't want to scare them off

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
~~Jean~~

Forum

Aiken, South
Carolina

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Wednesday, August 22 2012 @ 10:16 AM EDT  
gemini

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Tweet Dreams (offline) on Wednesday, August 22 2012 @ 03:21 PM EDT  
Tweet Dreams

Wednesday, August 22. 2012

It won't be long now!!Cheers Tracy posted this on Facebook:

Webcam went up today for the upcoming breeding season. Lots of work to do in it, but I'm sure Africam will do a great job setting up. New camera angles this year so watch this space!
It's not live yet - will let you know once it goes live.
PPO and Pappa on balcony a lot of the evening when not hunting

~~Jean~~

Forum

Aiken, South
Carolina

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Wednesday, August 22 2012 @ 05:08 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

wooooooooohooooooooo Tweet!!! I was thinking about them earlier today knowing we are getting close! Can't wait to see them! Wub

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, August 23 2012 @ 12:28 PM EDT  
MaryF

Like Lori, can't wait to see the new look for this wonderful and amusing pair of owls!! Very Happy

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: Tweet Dreams (offline) on Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 10:41 AM EDT  
Tweet Dreams

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Good Morning All!

A new post from Tracy...

Pot Plant Owl
about an hour ago.

Lots more activity in both pot plants on the balcony. Don't know which one PPO will choose this year. It is warming up now and the jasmine bush is in full bloom. I think that's what 'spurs' PPO and Pappa on to start their breeding season.
Must admit that PPO is looking 'heavier' now...don't tell her I said that though. She's doing very little flying at night so it (usually) points to eggs very soon...fingers crossed, stars in alignment etc

I sure hope they get the cam rolling so we can see Mom lay the eggs. Wonder which potted plant they will choose this season?

~~Jean~~

Forum

Aiken, South
Carolina

Profile Email   PM

By: Tweet Dreams (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 05:08 PM EDT  
Tweet Dreams

The latest post by Tracy......

Tuesday, August 28, 2012
27 Aug and PPO is looking good
This past week I've noticed a distinct 'roundness' to Pot Plant Owl. For a number of nights, we've watched her on the neighbour's rooftop - standing looking out onto the wetland. This 'full-figured-look' is typical of this time of year. Just before the breeding period starts, Pappa hunts for PPO, while she does as little as she can and conserves her energy. Good girl, PPO! (How do you get that right?)

The balcony is prepared for their arrival. Africam guys came in and installed not one, but two fantastic cameras for the webcam streaming. New camera angles should make this season an exciting one!

Of course, in the back of my mind is always the thought that perhaps we may not be so lucky this time, and the owls may decide NOT to nest. We had a close call the year after PPO and Pappa first arrived on our balcony.

That second year, we watched PPO sporting her 'fuller figure' and Pappa flying in and out like Mr Delivery with food for her. At the time, we were putting the finishing touches to our book on the owls so we only watched them with half an eye.

Suddenly one day the owls disappeared. The August date marking the start of the previous years' breeding season came and went, without an owl or an egg in sight. Two, three weeks went by and absolutely no sign of our feathered friends. I'll never forget writing that last entry in our book - mixed emotions and tears streaming down my face. We thought that was it. We had been given one chance - just one -of being up close and personal to these beautiful creatures. I was heartbroken to think that the owls would not return, but eternally grateful that we had captured everything in photographs and words.

The day we submitted the final copy of our book to the printers,having given up hope that the owls would return, PPO flew to the pot plant and laid an egg - just like that! Before settling down in her nest, she shot me a look that said 'Took your time, silly human. Glad you finally got it'. It was as if she was waiting until I got it - we got it.

So what did we 'get'?

Like church bells ringing, the message rang out:

Take nothing for granted.
Appreciate every moment you have.
Nothing is 'owed' to you, so in everything that you do and have and experience, feel gratitude.

And don't count your chickens (or owls) before they hatch!

~~Jean~~

Forum

Aiken, South
Carolina

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 08:45 PM EDT  
MaryF

Nice update from Tracy! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for eggies!! fingers crossed fingers crossed

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:01 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate