Click on image to download

HERE

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: beans (offline) on Sunday, May 11 2014 @ 10:36 PM EDT  
beans

About a week ago, USPS in Oakland called Campos Tree Services to trim the trees with Black-crowned Night Heron rookeries because the birds were defecating on the cars. Neighbors ran out and begged them to stop, as babies fell from the trees and some were put into the wood chipper. They kept trimming. The Oakland Police arrived and stopped the trimming. A USPS spokesman denied that any birds were killed by the tree trimming.

Earlier this week, I learned that four had already been transferred to International Bird Rescue Research Center. More came later from Lindsay Wildlife Hospital. Apparently the young birds were wandering all around.

I went to the site around 12:30 today. I saw two young Herons hiding on plastic in the bushes. One seemed healthy but the other was severely dehydrated with a possible broken wing. I had towels and large grocery bags in the car, so I was able to pick up the injured one and bring him to the hospital.

I didnít get many pictures because I stopped when I discovered the injured youngster.

*Two trees next to USPS with the Heron rookeries. This is a huge parking lot with plenty of room for many cars. Why park under the trees?

*Two little Herons hiding in the weeds. The one on the right is severely dehydrated with possible broken wing

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: beans (offline) on Sunday, May 11 2014 @ 10:39 PM EDT  
beans

*Close-up of the injured Heron, which I drove to IBRRC Iím pleased to say he was still alive when I arrived. He has a compound humerus fx

*Dead Heron in a trash box Ė I didnít count how many were there

Adult may be wondering what happened to her babies

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: Marg (offline) on Monday, May 12 2014 @ 09:29 AM EDT  
Marg

Beans, I feel so sad about this! Thank you for everything you do to help wildlife. Red Heart Big hugs Big hugs
Thank You also to the International Bird Rescue Research Center and Lindsay Wildlife Hospital.

Marg

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Monday, May 12 2014 @ 10:47 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

This heron story is just not right. They should have stopped as soon as they saw they were nesting.

Beans, thank you! You are wonderful for our wildlife. The Great Blue Heron is what my Bleu is named after so they are in my heart big time. Thank you to the wildlife center and hospital also.
I hope as many as can be saved are.

Near us when they had this issue they waited until not nesting season and deterred them from nesting in that spot with noise (not loud). They nested elsewhere, none hurt. Now I see why.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Monday, May 12 2014 @ 10:55 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

This is heart breakingCry................ Thank you Beans ... Big hugs I find this all so hard to understand.... it should NEVER have happened

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, May 12 2014 @ 12:03 PM EDT  
sassyk

beans thanks for alerting us to this disastrous act of cruelty Cry I also love herons and am always devastated when I see a dead one under the trees at the rookery in one of our local parks. How could these despicable people live with themselves after deliberately killing so many of these beautiful birds. Obviously they have no conscience Mad We need more caring people like you to protect our wildlife Big hugs

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: deewerms (offline) on Monday, May 12 2014 @ 06:27 PM EDT  
deewerms

so terribly sad to think that so called human beings can be so cruel and cold and unfeeling, ty beans for doing what you could to save at least one from suffering. and ty for posting this

Doreen Salem, NH
joined Sept.2 2008

Forum

Salem, NH

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:05 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate