Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Redding, CA - 2017 - Bald Eagle Cam (formerly Turtle Bay)
 |  Printable Version
By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, December 09 2016 @ 08:43 PM EST  
eaglewoman

Click on image to download

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, December 09 2016 @ 08:48 PM EST  
eaglewoman

Liberty took off and headed back toward the nest tree area & over the Highway 44 Bridge...

I was hoping that she would land on the Christmas Tree & sure enough she did! She ended up staying up there for over 2 hours! Definitely one of her favorite perches!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, December 09 2016 @ 08:55 PM EST  
eaglewoman

That shot was from the north side of the Highway 44 Bridge, these shots are from a new spot I found on the south side of the 44 Bridge! I liked it because it was quieter than being up on the pedestrian/bike trail along the highway, and you can see more of the Christmas Tree from here!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, December 09 2016 @ 08:57 PM EST  
eaglewoman

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, December 09 2016 @ 09:01 PM EST  
eaglewoman

I had to get going but my friend Sue spent another hour down there & Liberty was still up there when she left at 1:00pm! What a wonderful treat to spend some time with Miss Liberty again...

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, December 10 2016 @ 02:35 AM EST  
karenbills

Hi Terri. Greetings from Las Vegas. I'm happy to hear about Liberty and Spirit (?) being seen in their old nest. Your pictures are great as usual. i was particularly surprised to see the shot of Liberty next to two turkey vultures. I've never seen those two raptor species together like that.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Saturday, December 10 2016 @ 05:20 PM EST  
eaglewoman

Hi Karen!!! Thanks so much I'm glad you liked the pics! I was finally able to get down there this morning to see who has been spending time down there and it was quite interesting to say the least!!! Here is my summary of the morning's events, I'll post pics & vidoes later!

Wow!!!!! Things are getting very interesting down at the Turtle Bay nest folks!!!!

I spent the morning down there with Shawna & Mo & Sue and there was plenty of action! It will take me a while to go through my photos & videos but let me just say that the Mystery has been solved!

There was a female sub adult with a notch in the collar that looked exactly like Miss Liberty on Dead Tree when I arrived! I only knew it was a sub adult when I saw that the very edge of it's tail feathers had dark markings on them! Our guess is that this is either Stormy from 2011 or Shasta from 2012, depending on whether it is 4 or 5 years old?

Then, there was another adult eagle on Family Tree that flew across highway 44 and landed on the Christmas Tree where Liberty always sits(on the left-hand side of the tree). At first, I couldn't see a notch in the collar so I wasn't sure if it was her or not? But, then she turned and I could see that it was our Liberty!

The sub adult eagle took off from Dead Tree at one point and tried to land on the Christmas Tree with Liberty!!! Well, Liberty was not having any of that so she squawked at the sub adult & it decided not to land there after all!!!
But, then the sub adult flew back across the bridge & landed in Liberty's old nest!!! Liberty took off and started chasing the sub adult around and around the nest tree area!!! Finally, Liberty landed above the nest and the sub adult went back to it's perch on Dead Tree nearby. They called to each other a few times, although it was hard to hear them clearly with the highway noise!

The 2 eagles remained in a standoff for 20 minutes or so, Liberty perched above the nest, the sub adult nearby on Dead Tree. Then, Liberty eventually took off and headed south toward her nest at the Riverview Golf Course. The sub adult flew around the nest tree area and then flew right into the nest and landed in it!!! She then started moving sticks around in Liberty & Spirit's old nest!!!!!

After a bit, the sub adult flew out and headed south over the bridge and landed in a tree down toward the Park Marina Aqua Golf area.
It was incredibly exciting and interesting to watch all of this unfold!!!

And, now we have so many questions like I am sure all of you do!
But, we all agreed that the Sub Adult eagle won this standoff! Liberty didn't seem all that intense about running it off & then for her to leave the nest area with the sub adult still perched nearby surely makes us wonder if she may allow that sub adult to move into the northern end of their nesting territory & then Liberty & Spirit's territory will shrink a bit?!?
We will definitely watch and see what unfolds...

Pictures & videos of the action to follow when I get back home later on!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Sunday, December 11 2016 @ 07:26 PM EST  
karenbills

Wow, that is very interesting indeed, Terri. It would really be something if one of Liberty's young took over her old nest site. This would keep you hopping from one nest to the other. I'm sure you and Kit would love that.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:37 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate