Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Redding, CA - 2017 - Bald Eagle Cam (formerly Turtle Bay)
 |  Printable Version
By: Philjo56France (offline) on Tuesday, October 10 2017 @ 02:29 AM EDT  
Philjo56France

Solo, the last page of your book is going to be closed in a little while.
Fly free and high.
You will have always a special place in my heart
One day, we will meet us.

* E9holic.Please do not try to heal me of my addiction . 14 months old.
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. Bev Shofstall of Free Again Wildlife Rehabilitation
RIP 2018: Harrison Bay (Tn) Eloise First Lady 01/14. Dollywood Eleanor(“Ellie”) 01/17. Old Creek Town Park in Eufaula (Al) Eaglet 02/04. Berry Collège Eaglet 02/22, Stevie osprey (Aus), Dale Hollow 03/06-07 DH4

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Sunday, October 22 2017 @ 01:14 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

For those of you who are new to our Hancock Wildlife Discussion Forum, welcome!

We are so happy that you have joined us for another amazing adventure with our Redding Eagles!

Here is some background info on our beloved Redding Eagles:

Liberty(female) arrived here in Redding, California way back in 2004. We believe that this was her first attempt at nesting so she would've been around 5 years old at that time. We believe that our lovely lady Liberty is now 18 years old! She is certainly aging well! She has raised 18 offspring from egg to fledgling with her two mates, Patriot(13 offspring) & Spirit(5 offspring)!
Spirit(male) is Liberty's 2nd mate who arrived in 2013 after her first love, Patriot, was run off by an intruder eagle nicknamed "Newbie". Patriot died on May 10, 2013 after falling from the sky during an aerial battle with another eagle. A necropsy found that Patriot had rat poison(rodenticide) in his liver and he had bled out and died before he hit the ground.
Liberty quickly made her choice for her new mate & Spirit won out over Newbie.

Spirit still had some dark markings on the top of his head when he became Liberty's 2nd mate, so we believe he was 5 years old. We believe he is currently 9 years old. Spirit has raised 5 offspring with his mate, Liberty.

Last October, Liberty & Spirit returned to their nest at the southern end of their nesting territory at the Riverview Golf & Country Club as they had done in 2015-2016 season. Sadly, in mid-February, egg-laying time for this pair, that nest blew down in a rainstorm & we believe they lost their first clutch of eggs. Ground crew members at the Golf Course found eggshell remnants near the fallen nest. Kit and I donned some waders & made a trip down to the golf course to check things out, despite the fact that the course was covered in 18 inches of water from all of the rain we'd been having!!

We found Liberty & Spirit perched not far from their fallen nest, then Spirit began trying to bring sticks in to a nearby vacant red-tailed hawk nest. But, it was too tight up into that gray pine tree and Spirit kept dropping the sticks before he reached the nest. Spirit finally gave up and joined Liberty on a nearby branch while Kit & I headed home. We were very relieved to see that L & S were alive and well, despite losing their nest & first clutch of egg(s) in the storm.

Later that day, we began receiving reports that 2 adult eagles were seen by Liberty & Spirit's Turtle Bay nest! Sure enough, day after day we began seeing L & S at their old nest at TB! It wasn't until March that they finally appeared to be incubating! Once we saw they had returned to this nest, we worked diligently to get the Eaglecam working again so we could all watch our beloved ealgles raise their offspring!

Liberty laid 2 more eggs(a 2nd clutch) at the TB nest in March. Once we got the eaglecam working, we saw that only 1 of the 2 eggs hatched. Right around hatching time, we lost our cam again to more flooding from high Sacramento River flows onto Eagle Island. But, my hubby was able to make the necessary repairs on the ground and we were up and running once again!

We finally were able to meet our beautiful "Solo" who gave us so many moments of joy & laughter as we watched him grow for those 9 weeks! Liberty again showed off her amazing maternal instincts by spending untold hours in the nest with her baby Solo, trying to provide shade & relief from the extreme temperatures we experienced last May & June. Spirit was again an amazing provider for his mate and his offspring.

To our great dismay, at 9.5 weeks old, I received a call from Rita informing me that our sweet Solo had fallen from the nest while branching around 3:30 pm on June 24th. My 2 attempts at locating Solo that afternoon & evening were not successful, and the 112 degree temperatures did not help matters at all! The next morning, Mark & I kayaked over to Eagle Island, and after cutting through berry bushes for an hour, we were finally able to locate Solo on the ground below the nest!!! Initially, we both had high hopes that Solo would be rescued and survive this ordeal. But, our high hopes faded once the Raptor Rescue gal reached Solo, and informed us that his condition had gone downhill rapidly. We rushed Solo to a nearby Veterinary Office, but sadly he passed away from severe dehydration shortly after arriving. The Vet, who specializes in raptors, reassured us that there was nothing more we could have done. The extreme temperatures we had that week, over 110 degrees Fahrenheit every day, were simply too much for a young eagle to survive...
R.I.P Sweet Solo

So, as the eagles move forward and begin their new nesting season, we too move forward & hope for a successful, and less eventful, new nesting season this year!
We will continue to love, learn and laugh together as we have done each and every year!

Thank you all so much for your continued love & support of our efforts here at HWF! And, thank you for sharing our deep & never ending love for this majestic pair of eagles who continue to grace us all with their presence year after year...

Terri "Eaglewoman"

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Sunday, October 22 2017 @ 03:12 AM EDT  
karenbills

Great synopsis of the history of this nest, Terri. We are all hoping for a better season this year with Liberty and Spirit in the original nest location.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, October 29 2017 @ 08:24 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thank you all for your observations, photos, videos and hugs during this season of joy and sorrow - and please join us here - forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=1035831 as we begin the 2018 nesting season with great hopes for a wonderful year for Liberty and Spirit.

love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:03 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate