https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Seagoville, TX Cam -- 2015/16
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, January 08 2016 @ 05:13 PM EST  
JudyB

Oh Mary - I am so sorry to hear the news. And I bet the folks there are also very disappointed - they've put a lot of work into all this. I do wonder if they could put a cam somewhere at a distance watching the nest - not the view they wanted, but would let people see some of what was happening. But they've probably already had that discussion.

Hoping for a good year for the eagles - and lots of updates.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, January 19 2016 @ 05:11 PM EST  
MaryF

From the cam folks today ~~

John Bunker Sands Wetland Center

Eagle update... Someone shared a story with us very similar to ours. If you are familiar with the Decorah eagles, their camera was also damaged in a storm this past summer, as well as the tree being destroyed that the eagles nested in. At least we did not have that happen. Here are a some pictures that were taken late last week of mating behavior and the male calling to the female. We think we may have an egg(s) because there has been at least one eagle on the nest at all times the last few days. We will keep you posted.

Click on image to download -- mating

Click on image to download -- calling to Mom

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: txelements (offline) on Saturday, January 23 2016 @ 04:41 PM EST  
txelements

TYTY Mary.....I'm glad to hear they are well. I was never able to get the working cam last season. I see I've missed the window of opportunity this year.

fingers crossed for a cam fix, soon.

~ I Believe ~

Naoma
North Central Tx
June 2009

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, January 29 2016 @ 07:10 PM EST  
MaryF

A new update from the John Bunker Sands Wetlands --

THE EGGS(S) HAVE LANDED!! Tom Fleming was out this morning monitoring the eagle nest and recording the behavior of the male and female. The male showed protective behavior he hadn't noticed before when dealing with vultures and the female is hunkered down in the nest. During the entire time he was there, the female was on the nest. At the last observation time, the eagles left the nest unattended. The picture below is of the male eagle in a thermal with sun shining through the feathers. The eggs incubate 30-35 days. We have marked our calendar and will keep you posted.

Click on image to download

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, February 05 2016 @ 04:54 PM EST  
MaryF

From John Bunker Sands Wetland Center today --

EAGLE UPDATE... The female is holding the fort down when it comes to laying on the eggs while the male continues to collect materials for the nest. The picture shows the male hard at work. However, that is not the whole story. He may be bringing large amounts to the nest, but during the 2 hour observation period today, he had yet to "stick the landing" of the sticks. They were either to big, or when he landed on the tower he realized he had to open his talons to land and then all the sticks fell out. We are sure he will eventually get the technique figured out!

Click on image to download - courtesy of JBS Wetlands

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, February 25 2016 @ 05:00 PM EST  
MaryF

A new update from the JBS Wetlands Center

EAGLE UPDATE... Thank you to everyone for supporting our eagles and the Center. Tom Fleming has been observing the eagles for us and is keeping track of an approximate hatching time. The incubation period is 35-37 days, so we are thinking somewhere around March 5th for a hatch date or thereabouts. We also want to thank Richard Barnes for the pictures he took last Saturday. The male was on the tower with sticks when the female came up to join him. She seemed to be scolding him and he dropped the sticks. The third picture is of the male flying away. If you look closely, you can see the female in the nest.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, March 07 2016 @ 04:56 PM EST  
MaryF

We have another update from the JBS Wetlands ---

WE HAVE BABY EAGLETS!! We estimate the eaglets hatched on Wednesday or Thursday of last week, March 3 or 4th. We have been observing feeding behavior - the eagle stands on the side of the nest and crouches down to feed and then comes back up. The picture below was taken by Tom Fleming. We will continue to monitor and keep you updated on the newest members of the wetland family!

Click on image to download - feeding the eaglets

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, March 07 2016 @ 08:06 PM EST  
JudyB

Wonderful news! Thanks so much for bringing the information here, Mary! I wonder when the observers with their long lenses will get a peek at the chick(s).

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:57 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate