The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Maine II - 2012 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, March 30 2012 @ 08:48 AM EDT  
JudyB

Friday, March 30, 2012

I thought I'd do a brief update here, mostly to report there's not much to report. The female is still spending a lot of time on the nest, and spending the night there some of the time. There's probably a new male, with some dark spots on the head and light spots on the back, suggesting a young adult. He's occasionally had some issues mating (what was that movie where the greenhorn cowboy confidently approached his horse, put the wrong foot in the stirrup, and ended up facing backwards?), but I think there have also been successful encounters. It's getting late for eggs, so she may be going to take another year off - but only time will tell.

Click on image to download

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 01 2012 @ 07:33 PM EDT  
JudyB

Sunday, April 1, 2012

I've had the cam up much of the day, and haven't seen anyone - then about 6:56 pm, I noticed that both had arrived at the nest.

They were there for about 20 minutes, and for I think the fourth time in the last four days, they ... almost ... mated. Now I'm trying to think back and remember if he ever did manage a successful mating on cam - and I'm not sure. I didn't get a s'cap - and a s'cap doesn't do it justice, so here are two videos, courtesy of Lori from the Maine Window-on-Wildlife forum (who occasionally posts here as LoriBeth):

March 28, 6:27 pm
Video Camera Close but no Cigar (36 seconds)

March 30, 7:19 pm
Video Camera Let's try this again (1 minute)

I wonder if a step-stool would help - she does seem quite a bit bigger....

More seriously, he's not the first young male to not quite have all the moves figured out, but I am guessing we won't have little chicks this year.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 24 2012 @ 10:00 AM EDT  
JudyB

I'm very late posting this - sorry.

Sad but not unexpected news - the male of this pair died around March 12. He was electrocuted when he flew into power lines near the nest, apparently while chasing an intruder. Here's a link to the Maine Window on Wildlife forum with the report from someone living near the nest, and a followup from Patrick of BioDiversity Research Institute, both posted with thanks to BRI - http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index ... 0#msg44420. The thread contains photos of the original male, and of the younger male who appeared on the scene a week or so later.

Rest in peace, Dad Maine II. sad

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 24 2012 @ 10:04 AM EDT  
JudyB

The eagles are beginning to do a bit of work on their nest in preparation for the next nesting season, so I'm locking this thread and starting the new one:

Maine II - 2013

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:38 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate