please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Carolina Raptor Center, North Carolina - BE Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Thursday, January 21 2010 @ 11:19 AM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

Good morning, Smile

Yes, thank you jkr,

I would very much like CRC setup in an "Other North American Eagle Cams" discussion thread. Believe the site would provide something for everyone including rescue and recovery education, raptor tracking, fantastic photo viewing and, of course, another interesting Bald Eagle nest to observe.

What do you think, Mary and Daybreak? Do you want to take jkr up on her offer? Mug of coffee Mug of coffee

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, January 21 2010 @ 12:24 PM EST  
MaryF

Sounds OK to me!Left thumb up

I just now received an email from the TV station that sponsers this cam. Right now it refreshes every 5 minutes. (although it didn't seem to be yesterday) They are going to move it to a different server so it will them refresh every 5 seconds. Much better!!

I'm back again! I just checked the cam and it's showing the same pic that I saw yesterday so I would say that there is a problem that they aren't aware of.Chin

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, January 21 2010 @ 11:33 PM EST  
JudyB

It looks quite dark there now - which may be a good sign as it is the middle of the night on the east coast!

Jkr asked me to help get this set up - they're doing work on the electrical in her neighborhood, and there is the minor matter of work getting in the way! I've sent CAL a PM for permission to use her post announcing the cam as the first post for the new thread - must admit I haven't tried doing that, but I think it will work. (Famous last words.... Roll eyes )

But it is getting late here, so it may be the east coast morning before I actually get the new thread up and running! It does look like an interesting nest - and I'll be curious to learn the story of the eagles and how/if it's similar or different from Pigeon Forge in Tennessee, where there are also several pairs of non-releasable eagles, one of which has raised a couple of chicks on cam.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Friday, January 22 2010 @ 05:25 AM EST  

A few hours ago I tried posting info about Carolina Raptor Center, Huntersville, NC - Bald Eagles, Derek and Savannah but my post kept getting deleted as "spam detected". Maybe I should wait until after setup to post anything else. Let's see what happens this time.

ETA: "Carolina Raptor Center is located inside Latta Plantation Nature Preserve just 20 minutes north of Charlotte. Latta Plantation Nature Preserve is Mecklenburg County's largest nature preserve and protects over 1,290 acres." Latta Plantation Nature Preserve

ETA: Derek, per CRC: "Derek a male bald eagle, came to Carolina Raptor Center in August of 1998 from the South Carolina Center for Birds of Prey (now known as the International Center for Birds of Prey) in Charleston, SC. He was at least seven years old when he arrived. He had been found in December of 1995 with a gun shot injury that resulted in a broken left leg and a broken right wing. Although rehabilitators were able to treat his wing and his leg, Derek is not able to fly well enough to survive on his own in the wild. He lives on display at Carolina Raptor Center, where he acts as an ambassador for the 38,000 visitors that visit each year. For the past several years, he has bonded with Savannah, one of the bald eagles that shares his display aviary. Their offspring, Len and Lola, were hatched in March of 2006, and have been released to the wild. You can track their progress on our website. ...."

"Derek is named after a very special boy that visited Carolina Raptor Center on many occasions. Derek Hageman loved raptors and could name almost every raptor. He pointed them out to his parents and would tell his classmates stories about the birds. When Derek passed away at the age of nine, Carolina Raptor Center became a place of remembrance for his family. His mother volunteered at CRC as she was learning to deal with her loss. At a memorial service at Derek's school, Carolina Raptor Center released a rehabilitated hawk as symbolic of Derek's spirit beginning a new journey. Derek was a special boy and it was a wonderful tribute to name one of our resident eagles after him."

ETA:Savannah, per CRC: "Savannah came to CRC in 1998 from the South Carolina Center for Birds of Prey in Charleston, South Carolina. She was found in the wild with a fractured left wing, and although we are not sure exactly what caused her injury, it is most likely the result of a collision, whether with a vehicle or power line or something else we’ll never know. She has adjusted to life at CRC quite well, and has found a mate here. Savannah and Derek have raised two eaglets in our aviary, and we were able to successfully release those eaglets to the wild.
You can check on the progress of the eaglets, Len and Lola, ...."

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Friday, January 22 2010 @ 07:39 AM EST  

Quote by: JudyB

It looks quite dark there now - which may be a good sign as it is the middle of the night on the east coast!

Jkr asked me to help get this set up - they're doing work on the electrical in her neighborhood, and there is the minor matter of work getting in the way! I've sent CAL a PM for permission to use her post announcing the cam as the first post for the new thread - must admit I haven't tried doing that, but I think it will work. (Famous last words.... Roll eyes )

But it is getting late here, so it may be the east coast morning before I actually get the new thread up and running! It does look like an interesting nest - and I'll be curious to learn the story of the eagles and how/if it's similar or different from Pigeon Forge in Tennessee, where there are also several pairs of non-releasable eagles, one of which has raised a couple of chicks on cam.

JudyB,
You were right about the cam showing dark last night being a "good sign". Smile
7:25 a.m., Savannah looking in Derek's direction.
Click on image to download

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, January 22 2010 @ 08:47 AM EST  
JudyB

Thanks for all the information, CAL! I notice that they haven't said anything about chicks since 2006 - and am wondering if that's because the more recent information hasn't been added to the eagles' bios on their website - or if it's because Derek's injuries make it hard for them to mate successfully.

That might be something to ask the Carolina Raptor Center folks if either of you have the time.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Saturday, January 23 2010 @ 05:13 AM EST  

Okay, JudyB,

I will send an e-mail to the center tomorrow; if I do not hear from them within 5 working days, then I will give them a call. It would be nice to know that we have the latest bio on Savannah and Derek.

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Saturday, January 23 2010 @ 08:27 AM EST  

Good morning, Smile

Savannah has been changing positions on the nest this morning. I wonder if Derek brings food to her or if a Keeper delivers Savannah's food.

Maybe I'll wait until Monday to send the e-mail to CRC asking for a bio update because we might come up with other questions in the meantime.

Savannah has such a pretty necklace. love

7:33 a.m.
7:38 a.m.
7:43 a.m.

All times are EST. The time is now 12:45 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate