https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Lafarge Eagle Nest Archives
 Lafarge Eagle Nest Discussion/Obs/Pics/Videos 2009/10
 |  Printable Version
By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 08:25 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

5:06p Both parents on the nest. Parent brought fish.
Click on image to download

5:07-09p- Parent leaves and other begins eating the fish.

5:10p - Parent rolls the eggs and settles in to incubate.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 08:41 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

you're quick Annie!! I think mine are slightly different.

Earlier we were discussing whether 1 of the 2 eggs might be the slightly darker shelled one that is so apparent from earlier s'caps of the nest. It was very hard to tell is that is so based on the s'caps I got now. We are quite sure it was the 2nd egg laid.

If any one has a chance to get a definitive s'cap to confirm one way or the other Please post it.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 09:18 PM EDT  
richardpitt

Quote by: JudyB

It's my understanding that there is not sound. It's my impression that this is a fairly developed area, so the background ambiance might be more traffic than gentle little bird noises. The mic would also be quite a ways from the nest, making it less likely we could hear things like little peeps. Not sure if it's something that might be added next year - a question for Richard.

I did have a peek at the eggs a little while ago, and noticed that the slightly darker one that we think is egg #2 is still there - which means that there shouldn't be a large age difference between the two chicks. Grin

We didn't have anything to do with selecting or installing this camera - however... it's broken, so when the new one is put in I'll see about getting a mic installed. Yes, there would be lots of industrial ambient noise but who knows - might be interesting.

We won't be able to replace this camera at least until the chicks are hatched and it is a sunny day (warm so if mom/dad are away from the nest for a bit it won't be a problem) but we may wait until the end of the season - depends on whether we put a different, second camera somewhere on the sand-tower on the other side of the nest. This is being actively looked at.

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 09:22 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Quote by: terrytvgal

Earlier we were discussing whether 1 of the 2 eggs might be the slightly darker shelled one that is so apparent from earlier s'caps of the nest. It was very hard to tell is that is so based on the s'caps I got now. We are quite sure it was the 2nd egg laid.

If any one has a chance to get a definitive s'cap to confirm one way or the other Please post it.

In my s'cap, they look the same color - could be the lighting at different times of day...don't know. That would be great if they were slightly different in color; sure would make it easy to know which is which. Sorry I was away when you posted. I'm out for dinner now.

ETA - It would be nice if Richard angled the cam up a little bit so their heads aren't out of view at times.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 09:33 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Quote by: AnniesKatz

Quote by: terrytvgal

In my s'cap, they look the same color - could be the lighting at different times of day...don't know. That would be great if they were slightly different in color; sure would make it easy to know which is which. Sorry I was away when you posted. I'm out for dinner now.

ETA - It would be nice if Richard angled the cam up a little bit so their heads aren't out of view at times.

love Did you see Richard's post above... I think it is the PTZ for the camera that is broken so we are stuck with this position. BTW This Camera is not attached to the tree, which is why it is possible to consider making changes during nesting season. If it was on the tree no one would go anywhere near it as we all well know.

6:30PM
The Adult is hunkered in facing '2oclock?'

Wind is evident by the movement of the leafy branch appearing and disappearing from screen left.

Out out for a while at least -- a gal's got to eat, right? :p

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 10:07 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Quote by: richardpitt

Quote by: JudyB

It's my understanding that there is not sound. It's my impression that this is a fairly developed area, so the background ambiance might be more traffic than gentle little bird noises. The mic would also be quite a ways from the nest, making it less likely we could hear things like little peeps. Not sure if it's something that might be added next year - a question for Richard.

We didn't have anything to do with selecting or installing this camera - however... it's broken, so when the new one is put in I'll see about getting a mic installed. Yes, there would be lots of industrial ambient noise but who knows - might be interesting.

We won't be able to replace this camera at least until the chicks are hatched and it is a sunny day (warm so if mom/dad are away from the nest for a bit it won't be a problem) but we may wait until the end of the season - depends on whether we put a different, second camera somewhere on the sand-tower on the other side of the nest. This is being actively looked at.

richard

Thanks for the info Richard and I'll just say sound or no sound, I love seeing these two. Through Karen I have followed all the steps along the way. It would be great to have sound - a very directional mic should give us acceptable sound I would think. I see materials in the artificial nest and was wondering how it got there. Puzzled

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, April 08 2010 @ 02:43 AM EDT  
terrytvgal

David did four more interviews today!! three for newspapers and one for a TV station in Victoria. If anyone comes upon any the newspaper items do please, post a link for us all. I'll look too but the more who keep an eye open the less chance of missing things. I don't know about the Victoria TV station.... I'll keep you posted as I figure it out

AS if that isn't enough!!

Tomorrow (Thursday April 8) he is going up in a TV helicopter "chopper 9" so there should be a story on CTV tomorrow night. You can go to CTV's website to watch the newscast if you don't live here in Vancouver.

CTV 9 Vancouver BC at 5 or maybe 6 PM BC time

It will probably be on the six o'clock news tomorrow (Thursday) night, or maybe even the five o'clock. Hey if we're lucky maybe both LOL LOL

Friday he will interviewed for Global BC TV

Watch Global TV BC Friday, 6PM BC time

Help emo Spread the word far and wide... tweet it ... FB it ... send smoke signals or set the homing pigeons off with the news.... (Alright, I'm brain dead... but at least you are getting a bit more notice this time. Faint )

Thank You Thank You

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Thursday, April 08 2010 @ 04:03 AM EDT  
nightowl

THURSDAY, APRIL 8, 2010

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:34 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate