Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Rosswood BC - Kermode Bear Den Cam
 Rosswood BC - Kermode Bear Den Cam archive
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 01:41 PM EST  
jkr

BCSpiritBear (Stephanie) I'd like to say Welcome to the HWF forum wave and hope you find your way to Apollo's thread without too much trouble.
If you need help with anything around the forum please give us a shout ! Nodding yes

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: BCSpiritBear () on Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 02:09 PM EST  
Anonymous: BCSpiritBear

A little history on Apollo, the hibernating Spirit Bear

Every winter we look forward to the snow turning into a hardpack, so we can see the wild back bayou, to take winter photos and hunt for the rare fungi called "Chaga". Didn't find any Chaga, but we discovered this special Spirit Bear when my husband fell in his winter den accidently!
Thankfully, bears are hormone doped so he didn't get aggressive, he just looked up at him, at which point hubby got the heck out of his den and we immediately left the area.
My hubby is totally color blind, so he thought it was a black bear cub.
Not letting go a great photo opportunity, I wanted to go back about a week later and see if I get a rare photo of a hibernating bear. I was completely floored when a Kermode Boar looked up at me! And the size of him! At which point we wanted to leave him be.
Took us another year to get through the technical challenges of setting up a live feed. When hubby set up the cam, which is not IN his den, he simply looked up at him and went back to sleep.
We had been unknowingly photographing this same bear every year in the summer. We do get other Kermodes around, so didn't realize we had photoes of him growing up until we discovered him in his den. He has visited us in the summer, during berry season many times.
One day hubby sat in the bushes, getting chewed alive by the mozzies, waiting for Apollo to stroll by for a photo, waiting, waiting. When he got tired of nothing but bugs and berries, he turned around to see Apollo standing right behind him watching him!
Who's watching whom here!

Come by http://bcspiritbear.com for a viewing and a chat, I'm not on the chat all the time, I could a hand with moderating, if anyone wants to volunteer, please ask in chat and I'll hook you up, bear hugs to all from The Bear LadyWelcome

By: nightowl (offline) on Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 02:13 PM EST  
nightowl

Let me be the second to Welcome BCSpiritBear to the forum. wave (hope you found your way here OK)

JKR is right...if you need any help at all, HOLLER and someone will be around to help you. Grin We're a helpful and friendly bunch of folk. Nodding yes

Judy, I'm suffering s'cap withdrawal right now, so I am loving all the s'caps you're putting here of Apollo. love Even his big ol' paws are photogenic!Green LOL

ETA...

HEY! You're here! Grin wave I didn't see your post, BCSpiritBear! Facinating story on Apollo. How kewl you've been actually following Apollo all this time! Are the photos on your site all of Apollo, or are there other Spirit Bears on there also? (I love all the photos and videos love ) About how big would you say Apollo is? So many questions now that you're here!

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 02:44 PM EST  
jkr

Stephanie, I just realized that the cedar log must be humungous in size since Apollo fits so nicely into the center of it.

In order for your pictures to show on the forum you have to use the "file" button and put a number 1 between the two files that appear. If you click on the quote button on my post you'll see what I mean.

This is your picture once I add the file format.
Click on image to download

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: BCSpiritBear () on Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 07:03 PM EST  
Anonymous: BCSpiritBear

Government trophy hunt puts iconic spirit bear and Olympic Games symbol at risk; http://www.world-wire.com/news/1002220001.html

By: Anonymous: slygirl () on Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 09:41 PM EST  
Anonymous: slygirl

BCSpiritBear/Stephanie/Bear Lady! - Hello and Welcome wave

Soooo happy to see you've found your way here Left thumb up Do check in when you can, and Thanks so much for bringing Apollo to the world! What a wonder he is...and your story about your husband waiting and waiting for him, only to find Apollo right behind him Oh My Too bad Apollo didn't have a camera to catch the look on hubby's face!

I found your cam thru a link on FaceBook, and realized immediately there would be a thread here at Hancock (my second home!!). I check in on Apollo when I can, and try to stop by here daily to see what he's been up to! (I notice he sleeps a lot Wink LOL)

Again...Thanks for stopping by, and look forward to 'seeing' you often!

As both jkr and nightowl have already said - 'Helping' is our middle name - just ask if you need anything 'round here Grin And if it weren't for certain ''other cam addictions'' and that darned four-letter word (WORK!), I might be tempted to help you out over there! Keep on keepin' on - you're doing a GREAT JOB Left thumb up

PS - hope you don't mind, I made the link you posted 'clickable' (I think!!!). As jkr mentioned regarding posting snaps...same thing with links - click on the URL above the post box, and paste the link between the two URLs that show up!

http://www.world-wire.com/news/1002220001.html

edit: after 3 edits, I finally got your link 'clickable'!!! And clicked and read it. An atrocity for sure, Stephanie. I would like to think that we humans have outgrown this horrific behavior. I need to go back and see to whom I need to write.

By: nightowl (offline) on Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 03:03 AM EST  
nightowl

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2010

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 09:31 AM EST  
jkr

Stephanie, David has added a news article about your Kermode camera to our home page
http://archive.hancockwildlife.org/
and the article continues on our Biology Reference page staticpages/index.php/RosewoodKermodeCam

I'm so happy that David had contacted you as I know he has a huge interest in Kermodes.

7:21 a.m.
Cam is up and it's snowing which is badly needed so that Apollo knows it's still winter. Titter

9:15 am
It's still snowing hard.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:10 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate