The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Goes Wild in the Schools > School Classrooms
 2012/13 Gordon Terrace Elementary School
 |  Printable Version
By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 21 2012 @ 07:24 PM EDT  
SMW

Click on image to download
"It was so much fun because I found an egg shell. I liked Wilson's Island too. But the thing I didn't like were the spikey things because they hurt really bad. That's why I liked Joseph Creek."

We passed the City truck that cleans out the storm drains.

"I loved when we jumped onto that rock and then jumped onto the land. It was fun. I also thought smelling the ground was awesome and I liked going through the tunnel."

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 28 2012 @ 12:05 AM EDT  
SMW

A walk to Kinsmen Park
To explore Joseph Creek
With High School students
From Geography 12.

Water in Africa
Taught us
About how life is different
For women and children
In developing countries
Who must walk long distances daily
To fetch their water.
If we had to do that,
I bet we would take better care
Of how we use water.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 28 2012 @ 12:26 AM EDT  
SMW

We learned that bugs
Like the stonefly
Live in the creek.
Bugs can tell us
Whether a creek is healthy.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 28 2012 @ 12:40 AM EDT  
SMW

Taking part in the Canoe Race
Is a great way to learn
About currents and back eddies.

Who Am I?
Is a guessing game
To make us think
About the different plants and animals
That live in and around the creek.

The Water Cycle
Is a fun way to learn
About how a droplet of water
Can start off in a cloud,
Then become part of a river,
Or lake,
Or the ocean,
Or groundwater,
Or soil,
Or animal,
Or plant,
Or glacier.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 28 2012 @ 12:46 AM EDT  
SMW

It was a long, hot walk
To Kinsmen Park
And back.
But we learned a lot.
It also helped us understand
What it must feel like
To be a child in Africa,
Who has to walk that far
Each and every day
To get water
For the family.

How lucky we are!

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Tuesday, October 02 2012 @ 11:01 PM EDT  
SMW

Last weekend was an exciting time for me. Along with other environmental educators from the Columbia Basin (CBEEN), I attended Voices for Sustainability. We were treated to a variety of workshops and presentations. On Sunday morning we celebrated BC Rivers Day by standing in a circle and pouring water which each had brought from our local watershed into a basin. It was an inspiring weekend.

But there was more to come. We were fortunate to attend a special presentation by Dr. Jane Goodall at the St. Eugene Mission Resort. One of our group had her sister visiting from New Mexico, where she is a teacher librarian. Dr. Jane, as she is affectionately known, has been her sister's hero since she was a little girl. She in turn has passed on her knowledge and admiration to one of her students, who made a card for Dr. Jane when she learned her teacher-librarian was going to be meeting her. It was an emotional scene when Dr. Jane signed the card and added,

"Dear _________,
Follow your dreams.
With love,
Dr. Jane

My moment came shortly afterwards, when someone suggested that I should have my picture taken for a change rather than always be the one taking the pictures. The reason I have such a broad smile is Dr. Jane unexpectedly put her arm around me as we posed for the picture.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Tuesday, October 02 2012 @ 11:58 PM EDT  
SMW

Dr. Jane Goodall gave an unforgettable presentation on Sunday night at the Key City Theatre to a packed audience. She spoke of her early love of animals which eventually developed into a study of chimpanzees in Africa. She was the first to discover that chimpanzees made tools when she observed a chimpanzee take a twig, strip it of leaves, push it into a hole, and then eat the termites which were crawling on the stick. The more she worked with chimpanzees, the more she realized that they were becoming threatened for a variety of reasons. She realized that she could not hope to save chimpanzees without working with local people and addressing their greatest needs. This developed into the program now known as Roots and Shoots, which provides young people with the knowledge, tools and hopeful inspiration to improve the environment and the quality of life for people and animals.

On Monday morning grade 6 students from Cranbrook and neighbouring communities attended a special performance from Dr. Jane in which they learned about Roots and Shoots. Before I talked to my grade 3 class about Dr. Jane, I had them consider "What is a human being?" They came up with lots of different ideas including "The Smartest Animal". This led to a discussion about their favourite animal, and which animals were smart. Everyone came up with their own ideas about how their animal was smart.

Then I told them about Dr. Jane, her early love of animals, and how that developed into her passion about the chimpanzee. I had borrowed a book about Dr. Jane containing many pictures showing chimpanzees in various situations. Students were asked to write about what the pictures told them about chimpanzees.

"The chimpanzee loves the human. They look a lot like humans. They look so cute. They love to copy you when you do a pose. The chimpanzees hug their babies like our moms do to us."

"Chimpanzees are nice to mankind and people and chimpanzees get along nicely. Chimpanzees love bugs and they eat fruit too. They sit the same way as humans. Chimpanzee moms cuddle when their kids are sad. Chimpanzee guys bully each other for the head chimpanzee. Humans' DNA and chimpanzee DNA are almost the same. Chimpanzees can be very nice and can be very mean because they feel threatened."

"I have heard about chimpanzees. Now they are my favourite animal. I've learned a lot. They can grow to 170 cm. tall. All because of Dr. Jane. She has blown me away. Thank you Dr. Jane. You have inspired me."

For homework we were asked to find out anything we could about chimpanzees. This morning we added to our class web about THE CHIMPANZEE but we were not permitted to read from our notes.

Then we measured how tall we were in relation to the chimpanzee. This is a picture of our Class Height Chart and includes Mrs. Ravenstein (our Educational Assistant) and Bob (the name that was most popular for our adopted class chimpanzee).

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jacx (offline) on Wednesday, October 03 2012 @ 08:53 PM EDT  
jacx

How lucky you are to have met Jane Goodall. I am so impressed by the activities you do with your third graders. Where is your school? I teach 3rd grade and we are a very small community of 2900 people in Wisconsin. We only go on one field trip at the end of the year, and I am so impressed with the activities you do with your students. I am looking forward to another year of studying the eagles with my new class. I think we will take a look at your site as well. You have great pictures of your students and the interesting things you have done the first month of school. Any suggestions would be great. Enjoy the month of October.Roll eyes

Mrs. Puerzer

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:53 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate