The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Goes Wild in the Schools > School Classrooms
 2009/10 Gordon Terrace Elementary -- Cranbrook BC
 |  Printable Version
By: sandra gee (offline) on Friday, May 21 2010 @ 02:59 PM EDT  
sandra gee

Good Morning class wave

Thanks so much for posting the photo of the Canada Goose family. Elizabeth Lake must be very healthy to have so many bugs and insects Left thumb up. I've never heard :oops: of some those creatures you mention, so will have to do a little homework of my own Nodding yes Grin. I can even see a leg of the each of the parent's and a couple of the goslings as well, nice to see the water so clear.

wave

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 08:59 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Getting out side and seeing wildlife 'up close and personal' is better than a text book any day! You are all so fortunate to live so close to lots of wildlife of all shapes and sizes.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 10:17 PM EDT  
SMW

We are very lucky to have a "wetland wonder" like Elizabeth Lake within walking distance of our school.

A damselfly finds a comfortable, sunny corner.
Click on image to download

Some of the aquatic insects we uncovered including a dragonfly nymph (bottom left), damselfly nymph (middle bottom), snail (middle top), several shrimp (sideswimmers) and hundreds of water mites.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Sunday, May 23 2010 @ 09:05 PM EDT  
sandra gee

As Terry mentions above, the experience gained seeing creatures in their natural habitat is better than any textbook, and the kids are so lucky to have an easy access.

The damselfly seems to be enjoying the sunshine while resting on the hand. A ladybug is the only other insect I wouldn't mind being a perch for Wink. During the late spring and summer we see a lot of dragonflies here on Vancouver Island. While doing 'my' homework I discovered that unlike a damselfly the dragonfly keeps it's wings held 'away' from the body when at rest, while the damselfly keeps it's wings 'parallel' to it's body. As well, in spite of having 6 legs they are unable to walk.

How amazing to see the bottom photo simply 'alive' with waters creatures Left thumb up.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: SMW (offline) on Sunday, May 23 2010 @ 09:50 PM EDT  
SMW

To add to the interesting comments made by Sandra and Terry, here is a section from last year's A Kid's Guide to Elizabeth Lake 2009, which was created and designed by my grade 2/3 class. This has been an end of the year project for each of my classes over the past five or six years to reflect what they have experienced and learned.

It's amazing how many plants and animals some children can identify after visiting Elizabeth Lake several times during the school year. This list is taken from last year's Kid's Guide:

Birds and Insects: Canada goose, coot, crow, hawk, mallard duck, raven, red-winged blackbird, ruddy duck, yellow-headed blackbird.

Mammals: chipmunk, Columbia ground squirrel, muskrat, squirrel, white-tailed deer.

Reptiles and Amphibians: garter snake, western painted turtle.

Water Bugs and Insects: ant, backswimmer, caddisfly, damselfly, dragonfly, leech, mayfly, shrimp, snail, water scorpion, water boatman, water mite.

Plants: algae, blackthorn, bulrush, cattail, cottonwood, Douglas fir, juniper, kinnikinnick, mullein, oregon grape, ponderosa pine, red osier dogwood, trembling aspen, wild rose, yarrow.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, May 23 2010 @ 10:12 PM EDT  
jkr

Mr. Wilson, the next trip you make to the lake you may want to check out that HUGE pine tree that stands alone at the N end (near the big rocks). I spotted a Merlin hawk in that tree twice in the past few days. I was hoping there may be a nest but I didn't see one.
Looking up under that tree is an amazing array of twisted branches. Oh My

If the red winged and yellow headed blackbirds go missing I'm sure you'll find them all at my bird feeders. They're eating me out of house and home Rolling on floor laughing

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: SMW (offline) on Tuesday, May 25 2010 @ 09:08 PM EDT  
SMW

On the Victoria weekend there were several sightings of bald eagles by different members of the class including TJ who saw an eagle at Horseshoe Lake; Idris spotted one circling overhead near Creston; Kiera W. saw an eagle each of the four days she was camping with her family near Skookumchuck; Jordan watched one near Wardner; Bowen watched a bird of prey eating something small near his home in Cranbrook; Victoria spotted an eagle up Gold Creek; and Mr. Wilson watched one flying over the Elizabeth Lake area from his front window.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, May 26 2010 @ 02:41 AM EDT  
terrytvgal

Hi!

I know that you have all been watching the Sidney Bald Eagle nest in your class sometimes and also that the 'view' is not so good anymore because of Solo's 'aim' when going to the bathroom.

I thought you might enjoy this video clip from the Lafarge Eagle nest in Vancouver. It is a rare chance to get a good look at an eagle's talons while it is perched on a tree branch.

One of the adults will eventually jump up on to a branch close to the nest to 'supervise' while the other adult feeds 'Laf'let'. Laf'let is just over 5 weeks old.

I love this clip! It's one of the only times I can remember being able to see an eagles talons for an extended time while it's perched, along with a chance to see how dextrous an eagle's beak is while feeding.

One adult supervises while the other feeds Laf'let

We are waiting for the people who work at the Lafarge Concrete plant to choose an 'official' name for this eaglet. For now, the name is from LAFarge + eagLET. The concrete company paid to make the tree safer for the eagle family and to put in the wonderful camera we are using to watch the Lafarge Eagle family.

Cheers!

Terry

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:16 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate