Forum Index > H.W.F. Goes Wild in the Schools > School Classrooms
 2009/10 Gordon Terrace Elementary -- Cranbrook BC
 |  Printable Version
By: SMW (offline) on Thursday, July 01 2010 @ 10:53 AM EDT  
SMW

Click on image to download

We hope you enjoy reading about some of the things we have learned. We also hope that, if you live in Cranbrook, or are ever passing through our beautiful part of B.C., you will stop and explore this magical wetland area.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Thursday, July 01 2010 @ 10:04 PM EDT  
SMW

School may be over but Mother Nature is always at work!! While out for a walk this Canada Day morning, I stopped to watch a bald eagle rise on a thermal high above Elizabeth Lake. This afternoon I dropped in on a friend whose son will be in my class in September. The family owns the Elizabeth Lake Lodge close to Elizabeth Lake. My young friend was excited to be invited to help me plant a ponderosa pine seedling that I had been given as a gift by a Scout group for teaching them about the wetland ecosystem. We picked what we thought was a good spot for a young tree, near to other ponderosa pine, out of the wind, with some shade, but open to the sky. Afterwards we stopped by a mature ponderosa pine, and I had him check out the bark. When he smelled between the cracks, he said it smelled like maple syrup. I loved his description, which is similar to the smell of vanilla described in A Kid's 2010 Guide to Elizabeth Lake. My young friend has promised to water the seedling regularly.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: ELL () on Thursday, July 01 2010 @ 11:02 PM EDT  
Anonymous: ELL

Paul returned from a visit with his friend Stewart. He is pretty tickled to have his new project.

By: jkr (offline) on Friday, July 02 2010 @ 08:44 AM EDT  
jkr

Hi ELL and Paul, Welcome
Welcome to our HWF forum. It's wonderful to see more Cranbrook residents here enjoying the wildlife and nature.

Paul I'll have to go searching for your new tree when I go out for a walk to Elizabeth Lake.
Do you think I'll have any luck finding it ?

Hope you're having a good summer holiday.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Saturday, July 03 2010 @ 11:28 AM EDT  
sandra gee

Love the photo of the two coots on the log, and I have to wonder what the one looking at the other is thinking, cute pose Titter.

Finished reading the Kid's Guide to Elizabeth Lake and even learned a thing or two Left thumb up Nodding yes.

I wonder how long it will take for the ponderosa pine seedling to be taller than Paul. Might be interesting for him to take a photo standing beside it every year (maybe at the end of each school year) and see how long it takes for the little tree to be taller than him.

ClappingClapping Yeah, summer holidays are here, have a great summer everyone wave

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, July 03 2010 @ 06:10 PM EDT  
SMW

It was Elizabeth Lake Nature Day today, but it turned out to be cool and windy. However, several families showed up to look for birds, water bugs and insects. Youngsters were thrilled to get a chance to hold a western painted turtle egg under the watchful eye of the local turtle expert.
Examining a western painted turtle egg.
This tub of water bugs and insects contains a leech, damselfly nymph, dragonfly exoskeleton, several water boatmen, and hundreds of water mites.
A quartet of Canada geese.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, July 03 2010 @ 06:18 PM EDT  
SMW

A male yellow-headed blackbird takes a rest on the dock.
This family of coots look for food on a floating island of cattails.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: ELL () on Sunday, July 04 2010 @ 01:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous: ELL

Anybody that would like to see my little pine tree that I planted at bird sanctuary I would be happy to show. Come into the office at Elizabeth Lake Lodge and I will walk out with you. From Paul soon to be grade 3

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:55 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate