Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Goes Wild in the Schools > School Classrooms
 Oostburg Elementary School - Oostburg, WI
 |  Printable Version
By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Thursday, March 13 2014 @ 11:55 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Byebye Hi Mrs. Puerzer, Logan, Holly, Kylie, Alex, Hayley, Riley and Class!

I have been very busy but am sure happy to see your questions. I will be in tomorrow to answer your questions and such good questions they are!

To ease your mind, I will answer about whether the eagle hit the camera with it's wing. I don't think it actually hit the camera but if it did, all is well. Mom and Dad were at the nest a lot today and both were fine. If you thought that because of the shaking of the nest or a flash fly past the camera, it was likely just the eagle very close to the camera as it flew away. If this isn't what you saw, let me know.

One other answer. We can expect eggs any time now if they are "on schedule" like we have seen in the past. Our other pair laid eggs March 13th and 16th. fingers crossed it is very soon!

I will see you some time tomorrow unless Judyb can get here sooner.

Annie

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Friday, March 14 2014 @ 02:54 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Good Morning Mrs. Puerzer & Class!

Logan: How much do the eagles fight? Why do they fight?

HI Logan,
Both Mom and Dad eagles will fight with other eagles to defend their nest and territory against intruders who may want to come in to their nests or steal their food. They will also fight to keep other eagles from taking over their nests. Additionally, they will fight over food they have fished or hunted for. Eagles are opportunistic and if they think they can take the food away from another, they will.

Pairs don't fight with each other as a rule. One may beak the other (usually the Mom) but this is not serious. She may want her mate to leave the nest either so she can eat alone or because she wants more space to move around the nest. It isn't a regular thing with Mom and Dad White Rock; they get along with each other very well.

Holly: Are the eagles comfortable having babies?

HI Holly.
We don't really know and can't compare to human childbirth. Sometimes it takes a while for them to lay the egg so there may be some discomfort but I've never heard them make a sound as though something hurt. That's good news isn't it!

Kylie: Could the nest fall from the tree?

Hi Kylie!

A nest could fall if the tree is weak and can't support the nest anymore. Nests weigh a lot and with each passing year they weigh more and more as new materials are added. The largest recorded bald eagle nest, located in St. Petersburg, Florida, was 9.5 feet in diameter, 20 feet deep and weighed almost 3 tons. That's really a lot isn't it! You can imagine that a tree has to be very strong to hold that much weight. I read that even the smallest, newest eagle's nest weighs 1,000 pounds.

Alex: Down at the water today we saw several eagles gathered together. Why would they do this?

Hi Alex!
You will often see many eagles in close proximity. They could just be relaxing or more likely
watching for fish to catch. Right now the Herring are spawning so we are seeing a lot of eagles of all ages perched together in trees or on rocks. When the tide is out, you will see many on the sand bars.

How tall is the tree? Hayley: Why do they always pick the tallest tree?

HI Hayley!
The White Rock nest tree is about 135' tall and the nest is at about 85' up the tree. They pick the tallest tree they can near water for good visibility so they can see in all directions. The higher they are, the better they can see any other eagle who might approach their nest.

Riley: Why aren't eagles afraid of vehicles, such as when the train goes by?

HI Riley!
Urban eagles (those that have lived their lives near cities) are very used to seeing vehicles and in the case of the White Rock and Lafarge eagles, they live close to train tracks so they are used to the sights and sounds of cars, motorcycles, trains, etc. The White Rocks are even used to seeing and hearing airplanes as the nest is in the flight path of the airport across the Bay from their nest.

Thank You for the really great questions. We look forward to hearing from you again.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: jacx (offline) on Monday, March 31 2014 @ 03:58 PM EDT  
jacx

Thanks Annie for all of your responses. The kids are enjoying learning about the eagles.

Mrs. P - What is the date and time of each egg layed?
When is the expected date of hatching?

Landon-Do eagles ever get fed food if they don't have any?

Liam-What will be the eaglets favorite food?

Lorelai-How are the eggs formed before they are hatched?

-Mrs. P. How does mom or dad keep the eggs warm?

We will add more soon, hopefully tomorrow.

Mrs. Puerzer and class

The class has not heard any sound from the eagles yet! The sound was off a lot of the time. But I want them to hear the trilling sounds.Sitting eagle

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Monday, March 31 2014 @ 10:38 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

waveMRS. PUERZER & CLASS!

It's so good to see you all. I apologize Landon, Liam and Lorelai for the delay in answering your terrific questions. I was very, very busy today. I'll be by tomorrow to get caught up with you.

In the meantime here are the dates and times the eggs were laid.

#1Egg hatch: - Sunday ~ March 16th @ 4:37p.m.

#2Egg hatch: - Wednesday ~ March 19, 2014 @ 6:40p.

#3!!Egg hatch: ~ Saturday ~ March 22, 2014 @ 8:03p.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 02:29 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

GOOD MORNING MRS. PUERZER AND STUDENTS!

When is the expected date of hatching?

Normally it takes about 35 days for the eggs to hatch. One year one of our White Rock chicks
took 38 days to hatch but that was unusual.

Landon-Do eagles ever get fed food if they don't have any?

Hi Landon!
If you mean adult eagles, not usually. There have been instances where food has been left for an injured eagle so that they could possibly be rescued and taken for rehabilitation. Eagles have many sources of food so it isn't necessary to "help" them out. Besides that, there is the danger of making them dependent on humans for food and we don't want that!

Liam-What will be the eaglets favorite food?

Hi Liam!
An eagle's favorite food is fish but little eaglets eat whatever the parent brings for them. Because eagle's are scavengers, they will bring a lot of different types of food such as rabbits, gulls, ducks, voles (a rodent), whatever is easiest to catch for hungry little eaglets.

Lorelai-How are the eggs formed before they are hatched?

Hi Lorelai!

Just like in humans, eagles have ovaries where the eggs are formed except bird eggs get covered along the way in mineral deposits, mostly calcium carbonate I believe, which comes from the eagle's diet.
(source: Karenb)

Mrs. P. How does mom or dad keep the eggs warm?

Hi Mrs. P.
Both Mom and Dad have a brood patch on their chest which is a spot of featherless skin. When they settle over the eggs to incubate, this patch is against the eggs and keeps them warm. In some birds the chest feathers fall out by themselves but I have seen our eagles pluck them out prior to egg laying to form the patch to easily transfer body heat to their eggs.

The class has not heard any sound from the eagles yet! The sound was off a lot of the time. But I want them to hear the trilling sounds.

Unfortunately right now we only have sound from one camera and it is sometimes hard to hear the trilling and other vocalizations unless you turn your volume up a bit. Nesting eagles can't be disturbed so this problem can't be remedied until maintenance time in the Fall when the eagles are gone.

These were great questions and we look forward to seeing more from you!

Byebye Have a wonderful day!

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: jacx (offline) on Tuesday, April 08 2014 @ 11:04 AM EDT  
jacx

Cry

Hi from Mrs. Puerzer,
As much as I intend to write every day our schedule doesn't always allow it. We watched the process of dad on the egg and felt very sad. I haven't checked for 2 days on the nest. I hope things are okay. I will check them now and soon will get the questions to you today. I appreciate you doing this for us.

Jackie Puerzer

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jacx (offline) on Tuesday, April 08 2014 @ 11:19 AM EDT  
jacx

Hi again-

One question I had - has this ever happened before with one of the eagle nests? Do you think it was cracked before dad stood up?

Morgan - Where did the egg go that cracked?
*We haven't seen the eggs, will mom get rid of that egg? I have seen in the past many eagles keep the egg with the other or others?

Jolene -Could an eagle have quadruplets?

Mary-How can we tell the mom and dad apart from each other?

Lucy - Do you know what cracked the egg at first?

Genessa - Which is more feisty - the mom or the dad?

Weather looks bad again today. Do you have many days where the wind is strong? It is hard to watch the tree with the nest.

Have a good day and we look forward to hearing from you.

Mrs. Puerzer's ClassWindy - hold on

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 08 2014 @ 12:56 PM EDT  
JudyB

Good morning, Mrs. Puerzer and class!

Annie knows more about the personalities of the eagles, and how to tell them apart, so I'm going to leave some of those questions for her, and just share a few thoughts about the loss of one of the eggs. She may also have additional comments on the loss of the egg.

One question I had - has this ever happened before with one of the eagle nests? Do you think it was cracked before dad stood up?

I have never seen an egg become stuck to an eagle before, Mrs. Puerzer - this was definitely something very unusual. I think it's likely that an egg was cracked before Dad stood up - the eggs are quite heavy, and I think it would take a lot of "sticky stuff" to attach the egg to him that firmly. Egg whites are sometimes used for glue in craft projects, and at this stage of development, I think the liquid part of an eagle egg would not be that much different than the liquid part of a regular chicken egg.

Morgan - Where did the egg go that cracked?
*We haven't seen the eggs, will mom get rid of that egg? I have seen in the past many eagles keep the egg with the other or others?

Hi Morgan! Mom moved at least some of the pieces of the egg over to the side of the nest. I have also seen the adults keep an egg that didn't hatch in the nest bowl with the chicks, sometimes for weeks - but that only happens if the egg is solid. She may also have eaten some pieces of the shell - that often happens after an egg hatches because the shells contain a lot of calcium, which is an important nutrient for eagles. And eagles can't drink milk to make strong bones!

Jolene -Could an eagle have quadruplets?

Hi Jolene! Yes, eagles can have quadruplets! Here's a picture taken by a woman named Sue Erickson of a bald eagle nest near her home in Montana where the adults successfully raised four eaglets.

I've also read about a nest in my home state of Maine that had four eaglets.

Mary-How can we tell the mom and dad apart from each other?

Hi Mary! I'm going to leave this question for Annie to answer. I know females are usually bigger than males - but that's about all I know. Smile

Lucy - Do you know what cracked the egg at first?

Hi Lucy! No, we don't know what cracked the egg at first. It might have been less strong than the other eggs - sometimes there's not enough calcium and other minerals to make a thick shell. And occasionally, even though they try to be very careful, an adult will step on an egg. The eggs are very strong, but occasionally one does break.

Genessa - Which is more feisty - the mom or the dad?

That's a great question, Genessa - and I'm looking forward to seeing what Annie has to say about that!

Weather looks bad again today. Do you have many days where the wind is strong? It is hard to watch the tree with the nest.

It is often windy - but it helps to remember that when you see the nest move on the wide angle and PTZ cams, the tree with the camera is also moving, which often makes the movement look worse than it is.

Thank you for your great questions - and happy eagle watching!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:56 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate