https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Goes Wild in the Schools > School Classrooms
 Oostburg Elementary School - Oostburg, WI
 |  Printable Version
By: jacx (offline) on Wednesday, July 25 2012 @ 12:24 PM EDT  
jacx

Hi Annie - I cannot thank you enough for all you do for my students and for myself. Each day I learn more.
Nature is a beautiful thing. In the fall we will begin again. I hope we continue to stay in contact and I wish you a great remainder of the summer.

I am curious Annie - how long have you been studying the eagles? Do you live in the area? Is this your "job"?
You have so much knowledge to share...again a big THANK YOU.

Jacx

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Wednesday, July 25 2012 @ 01:31 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Hi jacx,
Thank you for your kind and generous remarks. I still have so much to learn! My knowledge has come from reading David Hancock's articles and from knowledgeable members here at HWF and of course observing the eagles' behavior. I have watched eagle cams for the last five years and joined HWF in early 2009. Being here has been one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. I only wish I had more time to spend here.

I live in California so no, I don't live in the area but would love it if I did. I'm not sure of this but I believe most of the members live outside of Canada. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I consider what I do here a labor of love. My life outside HWF is a very busy one and regretfully limits the time I have here.Sad

HWF is a group effort and I am so happy to be part of the team. If I don't know the answer to any questions you or your students have, I will find it for you or one of our super support team will provide it.

Again, it is wonderful to have you and your students on board to watch the lives of our
beautiful eagles. We will be here for you and your students!

Hoping you're enjoying your time off. I know it won't be long before you are back in the classroom.

Annie

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: jacx (offline) on Wednesday, July 25 2012 @ 03:24 PM EDT  
jacx

Hi Annie - thanks for the reply. You are very fortunate to be part of the HWF and it seems to give you such joy. Who knows...maybe someday I would be able to do the same.

Keep doing what you are doing because I love to hear from you and enjoy the responses. HWF is very fortunate to have you on board! Your love for the eagles is obvious in each posting.Sitting eagle

Thanks. JacxThank You

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jacx (offline) on Wednesday, October 03 2012 @ 08:38 PM EDT  
jacx

Hello to a new season. I have a new third grade class and am looking for another year of teaching my students about the eagles. Last year I used the White Rock nest to keep their journal and to watch the cycle of the eagles. Would you recommend using the same site? Is there a site to get information for the class and possibly printable information or a journal to use for their daily entries? I am looking forward to another season. When are mom and dad expected back to the nest?
I look forward to communicating with this website and always appreciate what you do for my students and for me. Thanks much. Mrs. Puerzer:hello:

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, October 12 2012 @ 10:54 PM EDT  
JudyB

Welcome back, Mrs. Puerzer! :hello:

As you know, we never know what the eagles will do, but we do have two excellent cameras at White Rock, and are hoping to add at least one more cam which will let us see where the adults perch, and perhaps follow the hoped-for chicks when they fledge. There are also several excellent observers and photographers in the area who provide pictures of the eagles when they are away from the nest - which I think adds a lot more information than just what we can see on the cams.

My recommendation would be to use White Rock again this year - it's a great location, and there's always been a lot to see, which should only be enhanced as we bring the new cam(s) online (I'm not sure how many cams we can stream from one location - but with a bit of luck we'll be pushing the window here!).

Another thought - do you read Mr. Wilson's thread - link? Not everyone has the natural resources available there, but he does some interesting exercises that might work in other parts of the world.

As far as I know, we don't have any printable material or worksheets - but if you develop anything that could be shared, please do let us know as that seems like a great idea!

And please do let us know if you or your class have any questions - we may not know the answers, but would be happy to help find them!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Thursday, November 15 2012 @ 01:27 PM EST  
AnniesKatz

Welcome BACK Mrs. Puerzer! I apologize for missing your post. Thank goodness Judyb came in for you.
WELCOME THIRD GRADERS!

I agree with Judyb that White Rock is a very good nest for your students to observe and learn about
eagles. This year, in addition to the two fixed focus cams, we have two new PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) cams
which will greatly enhance our viewing of the eagles and where they go when they leave the nest. We
should also be able to observe other birds in the area. One of the new cams is located in the tree about
70ft. down the bluff. You can see it on the right in the close-up cam view. Here's a s'cap of the crew working
and installing the cam. One of the fellas (David Hancock I believe) has on an orange suit and the other two
have on white suits and hardhats.
Click on image to download

We don't currently have a date when the two PTZs will come online but it will be magnificent viewing when
they do!

Here's a little video your students might enjoy of the White Rocks working on the nest. They are
very funny when they try to nestorate at the same time. They have brought a lot of very long sticks
which causes funny interactions when they try to place them.Grin

Video Camera Mom & Dad White Rock Work On Their Nest

Click on image to download

Thank you for your comments; we are very lucky to have the opportunity to see and learn about
these beautiful eagles thanks to HWF. Again, I apologize for my delayed response. As Judyb says,
if you or your students have questions, we'll do our best to answer.

I'm looking forward to being with you and your students this season!

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: jacx (offline) on Friday, March 22 2013 @ 09:06 AM EDT  
jacx

Hi Annie or anyone else willing to respond...here we are March 22nd and haven't been able to watch the nest during class with my 3rd graders. I was wondering since this class hasn't seen much at all this year (a bit in fall)...and I haven't kept up could someone possibly write to our class with a short update and maybe giving them a welcome to watch everyday. If you have some good sites for us to go to that would be great too.

This year has been so busy with big changes in our curriculum...but I want my class to have the appreciation for the eagles as I do- as well as my classes in the past. I sure do miss them.

Thanks and Happy Spring from WI!!!!!! BRRRRR! Last year it was 84 degrees on this day.
Mrs. Jackie Puerzer Sitting eaglewave

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Tuesday, March 26 2013 @ 04:11 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

WELCOME MRS. PUERZER'S THIRD GRADE STUDENTS!

We are so happy that you will be watching our eagles with us!

I will tell you a little about our White Rock Mom and Dad since they left after successfully raising two beautiful eaglets last season. Their names were Echo and Foxtrot. After the eaglets fledged (learned to fly), the whole family left the area. Mom and Dad flew North to find salmon and other good things to eat. Echo & Foxtrot probably followed them and learned to find food too.

After a couple of months the parents came home to start a new family. That was on October 3rd, 2012. They made repairs to their nest for a little while then took a little break before coming back to work more on their nest preparing it for eggs and little eaglets.

We have all been waiting for Mom to lay her first egg and yesterday (the 25th) she did! We are so excited. In about 35 days or a little more we should see a baby eaglet hatch from this egg. We should see another egg in about three days and that will be very exciting too. Sometimes Mom eagles will lay three eggs but White Rock Mom has always laid two.

We really hope you will enjoy watching and learning about one of nature's most beautiful raptors, the Bald Eagle. We also hope you will learn to be good stewards of your environment so that eagles and all wildlife have a safe and clean place to live.

We welcome your questions and comments. Just ask Mrs. Puerzer and she will bring them to us so we can answer. You are so lucky to have a teacher like Mrs. Puerzer who wants you to see and learn about these magnificent birds.

We at Hancock Wildlife Foundation wish you a wonderful and successful school year!!

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:18 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate