Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Goes Wild in the Schools > School Classrooms
 2011/12 Gordon Terrace Elementary School
 |  Printable Version
By: SMW (offline) on Wednesday, October 26 2011 @ 09:50 PM EDT  
SMW

We also learned about seeds, how they are spread, and where they can grow. It was fun gathering our own seeds. Everyone seemed to enjoy collecting sunflower seeds. We explored the sunflower jungle.
Click on image to download

It was great to have parent helpers to lend a hand.

The grade 6s had as much fun as we did finding seeds.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Wednesday, October 26 2011 @ 10:00 PM EDT  
SMW

After we each received a freshly baked cinnamon bun from our hostess, Sharon, we made our way to the Pumpkin Shed to make our selection.
Some chose BIG!!!

Some preferred SMALL!!!

Everyone agreed that this was another unforgettable trip despite the cool weather conditions.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, October 28 2011 @ 12:13 AM EDT  
SMW

On our way back to school yesterday from Ft. Steele Farms, one of the parents suggested that we should use some of the vegetables we had dug up to make soup. Today she helped us prepare and make "Our Funky Vegetable Soup". Judging by the number of us, who asked for second helpings, our soup proved very popular.

This afternoon, Mrs. Kinsman, our Native Liaison Worker, taught us how to make bannock. After she had baked it for 20 minutes at 350 C in the oven, she cut it into squares. Then we spread some of the rose hip jelly we made with her last week on top of the bannock. What a great way to finish off our day.

Preparing our soup.

Stirring the rose hip jelly.

The "taste test".

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, October 28 2011 @ 10:25 PM EDT  
SMW

It's been a month since our last visit to Elizabeth Lake. We noticed several changes on our walk today. It was much cooler than previously, and there were far fewer birds around compared to last time. Many of the trees had changed colour, and some had lost most of their leaves. We learned that the colourful tall trees are called larches. They are evergreens but will lose their needles in the next week or two.

We also noticed that a thin layer of ice had formed over parts of the outflow where Jim Smith Creek empties from the lake. Thin ice appeared to cover large areas of the lake itself. Any water fowl were in the open water in the middle of the lake.

We spotted this weird creature frozen in time as we explored along the riparian area between the lake and the ballpark. Later when we walked back to school, we were surprised to see a flock of mallard ducks flying overhead.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Sunday, October 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM EDT  
SMW

Although it appears the Canada geese at Elizabeth Lake have gone, there was no shortage of geese at the irrigation pond at the St. Eugene Mission Resort yesterday. There were over 200 enjoying the open water.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Thursday, November 03 2011 @ 11:26 PM EDT  
SMW

I took a walk to Elizabeth Lake before supper. The sun appeared briefly at one point from a grey, watery, cloudy sky. Then I spotted a muskrat but it was well hidden by cattails. As I walked slowly around the shoreline, I spotted a second but it was too far away to see it clearly. I watched patiently but the muskrats proved elusive. After several minutes I left that spot and walked a little farther to a quiet bay with some open water by the shore, where I caught sight of a third muskrat, but it dived almost immediately. On my way back I noticed a ripple as a muskrat broke the surface at the point close to where I had first seen them. I managed to get closer undetected, and stayed partly hidden behind a shrub. This series of pictures was taken within a few minutes, as I watched the light change and the muskrats appear together, swim away from the shore, climb onto the ice, feed on some submerged plants (?), before finally swimming back towards the shelter of some cattails.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, November 05 2011 @ 12:46 AM EDT  
SMW

Today snow fell for the first time since late spring. As I approached Elizabeth Lake, I could see a muskrat busy at work on the ice close to where I'd seen two late yesterday afternoon. By the time I got into position, the muskrat was swimming towards a clump of cattails along the shore. It looks like it was carrying some plant (for food or building materials?) in his mouth.

During the rest of the afternoon I saw at least three other muskrats including this one at the outflow to the lake.

Imagine my surprise to hear geese, then to discover not only about twenty Canada geese on the ice by open water, but five tundra swans beside them. Later I noticed that the geese were still standing huddled together on the ice, but the swans were swimming together in the open water. I wonder whether two of the tundra swans were the same ones I saw two weeks ago? I also wonder whether the geese were part of the large group I saw last weekend at the irrigation pond at the St. Eugene Mission Resort?

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Wednesday, November 09 2011 @ 11:53 PM EST  
SMW

Mya wrote a report, after spending a day with her dad, who is a fish biologist. They went to Michel Creek near Sparwood to pick up ten white fish. She found rose hips and picked one, but didn't eat it. She buried it instead. Then they drove to Fording River. Her Dad and a friend collected more fish. While they were there, Mya found a tree house. There was no ladder or roof, just a floor. She also found what she called a "ground house". Then they spawned, which involved taking the female and male white fish they had caught, measuring and weighing them, squeezing the females' belly to get eggs, and squeezing the males' tummy to get milky white stuff called "milt", which is used to fertilize the eggs. Then they mixed the eggs with the milt in a big bowl. On the road home they dropped off the egg mixture at the airport to be shipped to Vancouver, where it will be checked out.

Forum

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:27 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate