The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Goes Wild in the Schools > School Classrooms
 2011/12 Gordon Terrace Elementary School
 |  Printable Version
By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 30 2011 @ 01:07 AM EDT  
SMW

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for sharing your story of the micro world of the five ants and the wasp. It's amazing what goes on literally under our feet. Yes, I'll certainly tell my students and their grade 6 buddies about your adventure, especially as both classes will spend most of the morning at Elizabeth Lake in a variety of activities geared at how things are interconnected.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Saturday, October 01 2011 @ 01:02 AM EDT  
sandra gee

Thanks Mr. Wilson, I hope the kids had a great time today.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, October 01 2011 @ 01:14 AM EDT  
SMW

On our trip to Elizabeth Lake today with our grade 6 buddies, we took a detour through the cattails, which was a new experience for most of us.
Click on image to download

The weather was cool and sunny, but it warmed up by mid morning.

One of five activities students engaged in was Colour Match. Everyone was given a card which my students had coloured previously with different coloured pencil crayons. The object was to find articles in nature which matched each colour.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, October 01 2011 @ 01:27 AM EDT  
SMW

Dipnetting for water bugs and insects was popular with both younger and older students.

Heron, Frog, Mosquito involved a game between two groups intent on survival.

Children had fun going for a walk wearing woollen socks over their shoes to see what they could pick up. This group displays the "catch of the day". We called the game Burr!

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, October 01 2011 @ 01:34 AM EDT  
SMW

Web of Life encouraged students to think of plants and animals found at Elizabeth Lake and how they are all interconnected, which was the general theme of our morning activities.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Sunday, October 02 2011 @ 08:18 PM EDT  
SMW

On the weekend I took a ride to the St. Eugene Mission where Joseph Creek (see Friday, Sept. 23 when we took part in activities by Joseph Creek in Kinsmen Park, Cranbrook) meets the St. Mary River.

The St. Mary River flows from St. Mary's Lake towards the Kootenay River.

On Sunday I rode from the Kimberley/Ta Ta Creek Road along backroads to reach this viewpoint overlooking the Kootenay River as it meanders its way past Bummer's Flats, a local wetland, towards where it meets the St. Mary River near the heritage town of Ft. Steele.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Wednesday, October 05 2011 @ 12:18 AM EDT  
SMW

Hi Sandra,

Yesterday shortly before home time I told my grade 3s your story about the five ants carrying the dead wasp (Sept. 29 post). I added a simple drawing on the white board to help them visualize what that might have looked like. Then I invited them to ask questions about what you had seen. Some had difficulty trying to frame a question, so I reminded them that most questions start with "Who, What, Where, When, Why" or "How". After waiting for a few moments I wrote the word "Why" on the board. Before long we had our first question, which was, "Why were the ants carrying the wasp?" Someone then suggested, "They were carrying it back to the anthill." So I asked if anyone could think of another question about that idea. Another student simply said, "Why?"
That gave rise to three ideas:
"To eat it."
"Going to show the Queen ant."
"Going to help it."

Students were having difficulty coming up with other questions, so I wrote the start of a question:
"How did the ants know..."
Someone offered, "How did the ants know how to carry it?"
A student, who is fairly shy and seldom volunteers answers, suggested, "Maybe they have done it before."

Then I asked for volunteers to act out this scene. A student, who volunteered to play the wasp, lay down on the floor. Four (rather than five) students, who were to be the ants, gathered around the wasp. I reminded them about being careful and respectful before asking them to move the wasp. Without any further direction, the four ants took a limb each, and carefully began moving the wasp. There was little discussion as they worked together as a team. Afterwards I asked them to explain what they had just done. One of the ants said that they just seemed to know what to do without talking.

For a brief part of our day, my students entered the world of the ants and the dead wasp, as they imagined something that had happened on the other side of the province several days before.

Thanks for sharing your story, Sandra!!

Forum

Profile     PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Wednesday, October 05 2011 @ 09:28 AM EDT  
sandra gee

Hello to you Mr. Wilson and to your students as well wave.

Thanks for sharing my experience with the children, I'm glad they were given some time to ponder the possibilities of what was actually happening with the ants and the wasp. Now they've got me wondering "do ants have a Queen?". Chin I'll have to check that out for myself.

My observation of the wasp was that it was definitely dead, so I think the ants were carrying it away to eventually have it for a meal and to share it with many other ants.

The question "How did the ants know how to carry it" is an excellent question. Just how did they know? Is it a learned behaviour or is it an instinct? It reminds me of the saying "many hands make light work", the ants somehow knew what had to be done and set about in teamwork to get the job done. Their actions also reminded me of our own body language, where sometimes no words are needed to communicate our feelings and our thoughts.

Having the children "act out" the scenario of the ants and wasp was a really good idea. I'm sure it helped them to visualize what was happening and especially when one of your students said they "just seemed to know what to do without talking" Left thumb up

Thanks to you too Mr. Wilson, if it wasn't for this thread I probably would have ignored what was happening at my feet but instead I shared a moment with some ants Wooh going about their daily activities.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:24 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate