https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Goes Wild in the Schools > School Classrooms
 2011/12 Gordon Terrace Elementary School
 |  Printable Version
By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, September 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM EDT  
SMW

During reflection time, some of us drew pictures of some of the activities we had enjoyed, or what we could see around us - the lake, cattail seeds in the air, bugs, Canada goose, bald eagle feather, Nature's toilet paper (mullein leaves), mint leaf, and a snail shell.

Here are some of the things we wrote:

"Our class went to Elizabeth Lake. The wind is blowing. Flowers so pretty just like me. Dragonfly flying. It's so perfect. Oh, (I) forgot something. It's so beautiful." Avery

"I liked listening to the sounds." Maddison

"The lake has bushes and prickly thorns and trees. A huge lake with islands." Lucas

"I liked when (I) learned about some plants, and I liked when we went through the tunnel (in the undergrowth)."

"I liked when we lay down (and listened to the sounds)."

"I found a snail shell and it was white." Hannah

"Mint is really smelly and good for mint soup." Owen

"I am picking off burrs. I tasted mint leaves. Yum."

"I liked smelling the mint leaves. We didn't really know what it was at first, but when we saw the bush, we were sure it was mint."

"On the path I heard Isaac say, "Vanilla", and I ran over to smell it."

"One of my favorite things to do on the walk was to smell the mint leaves."

"Smelling nature,
Hearing wind,
Dog barking,
Car on the highway,
Touching grass,
Mud,
Trees,
Seeing lots of nature."

Click on image to download

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 23 2011 @ 07:29 PM EDT  
SMW

"My class and the grade six class (our buddy class) went to Kinsmen Park. We did canoe races with popsicle sticks in Joseph Creek. But I also liked making my own watershed, which is crumpling up a big sheet (tarp) and then you dump water on the sheet to make a creek or a lake. I wonder what would be your favourite activity if you came?" Dylan

"Today we went to Kinsmen Park. My favorite station was the Watershed because my mom was running it. I will never ever forget my time at Kinsmen Park." Mya

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 23 2011 @ 08:10 PM EDT  
SMW

"Today we went to Joseph Creek. We did 4 activities. My favorite out of all 4 was The Water Cycle because we would roll a 6-sided die and we would go to the picture (of whatever part of the Water Cycle it was - glacier, cloud, river, lake, plant, animal, soil, groundwater, ocean).The Ground Water was cursed and (so was) the Ocean and the Clouds because I kept on getting "Stay at Groundwater", or "Stay at Ocean", and "Stay at Clouds"." Hannah

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 23 2011 @ 08:19 PM EDT  
SMW

"I liked Water in Africa but I would not like to carry water every day. I liked it because I got splashed and it felt good because I was hot." Zaya

"Today my most favorite part was when I was excited for Water in Africa because I got to walk with the bucket of water on my head. My mommy is good at it." Maddison D.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Friday, September 23 2011 @ 08:32 PM EDT  
SMW

"Today our class and our big buddies went to Kinsmen Park. My favorite part of the adventure was when we did the Canoe Race and it was fun!!!! There were a lot of currents." Keoni

At Joseph Creek my favorite activity was the Canoe Race because we had to take popsicle sticks and drop them from a bridge and see who got down the stream fastest! The popsicle sticks were numbered. I had number 33. I got in first place on the first try! Then I got in second. My big buddy is Ty. He walked with me to Joseph Creek. I really liked the field trip! Alexis

"Today we went to a creek. We got to do so many activities. My favorite one is Canoe Racing because we got to drop a popsicle stick in the creek. It was exciting because we got to wait at the end at the finish line. I learned never to stand near a slope at the creek." Connor

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, September 24 2011 @ 09:56 AM EDT  
SMW

Mrs. Ruoss, one of our two kindergarten teachers, took her class for a walk to Elizabeth Lake. Judging from their pictures, it was a very enjoyable experience.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, September 24 2011 @ 03:15 PM EDT  
jkr

HELLO wave Mr. Wilson and Mrs. Ruoss' classes. It looks as if both your classes had tons of fun this past week and the weather couldn't have been more perfect to be outdoors. This is the best September ever !!

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Saturday, September 24 2011 @ 05:27 PM EDT  
Pat B

Thank you for the last set of photos!
I couldn't believe how you had so much seed to throw in the air, earlier.
But now I can see how much seed there is on these plants!
I don't think we have those in England - I will have to look it up!

There - you have me doing research over here, thanks to your activities!

ETA
Well that was very interesting.
They are called bulrushes here - and when the flower head is ready, it suddenly bursts open and the wind takes the seeds away!
Are we talking about the same plant ?

I copied this photo from a flickr page of Stephen Maudsley - who took the photo at Shapwick, England

Link to his photostream

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:19 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate