Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Relaxation and Chat Area > Creative Inspiration
 Our Vacation Photos and Adventures
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Sunday, February 05 2012 @ 05:59 PM EST  
sassyk

Carolyn, what a lovely area you were visiting. It's wonderful to see wildlife in their natural habitat, as opposed to seeing them behind bars and in cages at the zoo :thumrht: That's quite the old tree, which obviously has been protected and looked after with TLC Nodding yes Thanks for sharing your excursion with us.

Sandra, lovely pics of the Osprey, especially the closeup pic. It looks like you are having a good time with your new camera Cheers

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Sunday, February 05 2012 @ 06:43 PM EST  
sandra gee

elle, never thought about it but when you mention it the Toucan must look very awkward in flight with such a large beak. I have several of the Sydney Opera House but the one I posted is my fave.....I'm quite proud of it too love. I'm on the mainland for a few days but can certainly post more when I get home.

The blue blob on the beach is a jelly-fish and I also have a photo of something called a blue-bottle. We were advised to not touch either of them NO.

bop, I was initially disappointed at not seeing any Koala's in the wild but seeing so many in the Zoo being so well cared for made up for it.

Carolyn, thanks for adding your photos. It's sure is nice to see the birds doing well and to hear the beach area is clean. The Whooping Crane didn't seem to take much notice of you :thumrht:. Love the photo of the pelican, he looks smaller than the ones we saw in Australia. They are huge there and are easily up to our waists in height. The photo of the tree is beautiful against the backdrop of the fog/mist and wow!!! 1000 years old, that's amazing!

Kay, thanks for the compliment on the Osprey photos. I was thinking of jkr when taking them. It wasn't any easy area to pullover and there wasn't a lot of time to snap the photos so I was pleased to see how well they turned out.

Kay and elle, I'm loving the new camera :thumrht:

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Sunday, February 05 2012 @ 07:23 PM EST  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Everyone!

Sandra, the Whooping Crane had a busy job getting sustenance to build up before the long flight back to Canada. This refuge - the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge - is their destination every year. This is where they must eat and build up. Apparently, the day before we were there the ship saw a pair and two chicks. Would have loved to see that. When I was in San Antonio about 4 years ago I saw two Whooping Cranes on the San Antonio River and at that time did not know what they were! They were stopping on their way to this site.

Your osprey is spectacular. We had an osprey fly over our ship with a fish in its talons. My husband has a picture of it and I will try to snare it from him. It was pretty unbelievable to see that.

We also saw hawks that fly up from Mexico, other hawks that come from Peru and other birds from South America. It is unreal to me to see all this beauty that has traveled so far to recoup for the Winter and then will go back home. Everyone seeing them was doing the same thing. That is an interesting concept - visitors seeing temporary winter residents and many snowbirds there too from the North in RV's seeking refuge from winter. There were bobcats, coyotes, fox and many other animals on the marshlands also. The Whoopers would sleep where they were not in danger from them.

carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 01:14 PM EST  
elle

Thanks Sandra.

A good rule to follow is never touch any jellyfish! We have some very large ones here that will give you a nasty sting you won't soon forget. They are not deadly like some are in Oz, though.

Your osprey photos and nest are so like the ones I took at the wee airport in Caye Caulker, Belize the day we left. They seem to have larger eyes than the ones we see here in BC. :dunno:

Re: camera. I am liking the 35X zoom and HD video but there are a few things I am disappointed with. Can't have it all I guess. :ds:

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 04:10 PM EST  
Woodlands Bleu

Here is one more picture of the 1000 year old tree.....I found it gorgeous - it was a gray day.
carolyn

Click on image to download

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, February 07 2012 @ 08:46 PM EST  
Woodlands Bleu

More photos from our Rockport trip......first Crane head, then redhead ducks, then gull

carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, February 07 2012 @ 08:49 PM EST  
Woodlands Bleu

(2) First Osprey with fish that flew right over us on ship, then Pelican in Rockport Harbor, and another picture.....

carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, February 07 2012 @ 08:51 PM EST  
Woodlands Bleu

(3) Three more........All Whooping Crane......
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:09 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate