See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Sidney Nest. Archives
 Sidney Nest Discussion/S'caps/Videos 09/10
 |  Printable Version
By: Rejoicing1 (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 05:54 PM EST  
Rejoicing1

Quote by: MayLine

wave Rejoicing and woof

Thanks for the feedback. Now, I'm wondering why your sidebar shows when you ORIGINALLY registered with Hancock, and mine shows when I registered here on the new board!
I originally joined in and registered with Hancock in April of 2009. I wish my sidebar reflected that! Puzzled
Dede

Mayline,
I am not sure about the date on the sidebar. It may have something to do with having a album at the Media Gallery..I had read something about that.

Now back to our original question as to whether or not this is the right place to chat, I just discovered that this seems to be the Discussion thread...I get so confused sometimes and think I am where I am NOT!! Rolling on floor laughing

I just moved over to the Garden Chat thread (Nesters and Screech Hollow) for lighter talk.... and I believe this will be the observation , more in depth " what is happening at the nest" thread.... am I right about that Woof????Puzzled

Joyce from Eagle Rock, Calif.

Under His Wings,
Psalm 91:4

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: MayLine (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 07:12 PM EST  
MayLine

Hi Rejoicing

Yes, I wasn't seeking the "Garden Fence" type of chat but rather the discussion about the Sidney Nest and eagles.

In the initial post in this thread, PEB stated:
"Please note that any comments about what you like or don't like about the Sidney Discussion thread belong here - not there [meaning the Garden Fence Chat Area]. All that belongs there is discussion about the eagles."

That is confusing to me! Puzzled

Someone will set me straight....Titter

Thanks, Dede

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
William Shakespeare

Dede
Joined HWF: April 2009

Forum

Denver, Colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: woof947 () on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 09:29 PM EST  
Anonymous: woof947

Quote by: MayLine Thanks for the feedback. Now, I'm wondering why your sidebar shows when you ORIGINALLY registered with Hancock, and mine shows when I registered here on the new board!
I originally joined in and registered with Hancock in April of 2009. I wish my sidebar reflected that!
Dede

MayLine, I didnt know the answer to your question, so I asked PEB. Here is what she responded --

This forum is now a combination of three - hence the move!
Before, some people arrived - found the discussion forum - registered and settled in - without realising that the main website was over where the media gallery was!
Others registered for the mediagallery side and only found the discussion forum later!

The ones registered for the media Gallery/main Website are the list of names brought forward to the new site!
So some who have been regular members and posters in the Discussion forum - suddenly find they have to re-register and have a joining date in 2010
Look at me - I have been a member from Aug 2006 - but I didn't find the Media Gallery till Mar 2007 - and that is my joining date!
It's one of those things where the line had to be drawn somewhere!!
That's why you find some members are putting their original joining date in their signature line

I think that is a long winded way of saying there's not much we can do about it - it's one of those things!!

The date can't be altered without doing rather nasty things to the software - to use a technical term.

Hope this helps. Smile

By: Anonymous: willpatt () on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 09:55 PM EST  
Anonymous: willpatt

wave They said that the transition from the old to the new forum would be easy but I have run into quite a few bugs so far. This one about date of joining, old or new forum, should have nothing to do with "Media Gallery". Also if the wrong joining date shows up, there should be a way to go into Account Settings and make changes. I think the total number of posts should have been carried forward too Thank You

By: MayLine (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 12:59 AM EST  
MayLine

:dry: yeah willpat, I'm with you. Woof, thank you for finding all that out from PEB and posting; I "think" I get it... Actually, I thought the Media Gallery was where yalitldevl and others posted their wonderful videos, not any kind of "primary registration site." Puzzled

When I registered last April, I got the emails from Judy (I think it was) and selected my password and such, and was under the impression I was registering for the entire Hancock site --- I thought...

Thanks you guys for helping figure this stuff out.
sleepy

Dede

William Shakespeare

Dede

Forum

Denver, Colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 03:09 AM EST  
terrytvgal

Quote by: willpatt

wave They said that the transition from the old to the new forum would be easy but I have run into quite a few bugs so far. This one about date of joining, old or new forum, should have nothing to do with "Media Gallery". Also if the wrong joining date shows up, there should be a way to go into Account Settings and make changes. I think the total number of posts should have been carried forward too Thank You

To see if I can explain this clearly... The old forum was on software different to the software that the rest of the Hancock Wildlife Foundation and Hancock House Publishing have used for several years. There was no Fourm Software available through 'geeklog' at the time we needed to set up our forum. The php system was chosen. It was it's own 'entity' with it's own registration process. It was a 'supplement', if you will, to the already existing HWF website.

People wanted to post pictures and videos. The logical place to host pictures taken from cameras operated by the HWF was on the servers owned and operated by the HWF. This was done by using the Media Gallery already available for the rest of the HWF website. This meant that anyone who wanted to post pictures had to register to the Main HWF website. -- and so we did. Only over time, as the membership grew and wanted to post pictures NOT taken from the HWF cameras did the use of Attachments and photobucket etc. come in to use. Everytime you look at one of the videos taken of Sid and Vic or Skye, you are looking at images stored on in the HWF Media Gallery, by people who registered in order to post them.

Now we are using software developed by geeklog for our forum and it is fully integrated with all the other aspects of the HWF website. It was not technically possible to bring your account information along to the new forum software,( Maybe think about it this way.. if you bought your dinner at Pizza Hut, would you expect to be able pack it up and walk across the street and eat it at Tim Horton's?) So, in the majority of cases folks had to register to post on this forum. You also now have automatic access to the HWH media Gallery for HWF images if you'd like to use it. Those of us who did as requested when the old forum was started, and posted our s'caps and videos from the HWF cameras to the HWF Media Gallery, registered way back then and our membersips are still in place now.

It's not so much that registering has, or ever had, anything directly to do with the Media Gallery, it's about whether or not you ever registered to the HWF's Non-forum aspects. The most common reason to do so was to post in the media gallery. That is why it was so constanly mentioned in relation to registering here. We wanted to avoid duplicate registrations where possible.

You are probably more confused now than before but at least I tried. It's just the way the technology works, folks... Thank You for your time.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 03:12 AM EST  
terrytvgal

Wednesday January 27, 2010

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: MayLine (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 03:03 PM EST  
MayLine

ClappingClappingClapping Terry!

I totally get it and you did a swell job of explaining it.

Another thing I discovered last night is that the Garden Fence Chat-Eagleholics Anon. Forum is where a lot of the old Sidney Discussion community is currently
chatting up a storm (OMG, I could never keep up with that forum; those girls (sorry Gord) can talk Titter!) And mostly it's not about eagles at all (which is the expected purpose - a place for non-eagle chatter...).
:idea: So, I'm assuming that once there is a bit more action in Ma & Pa Sidney's household, THIS will be the place to discuss, post s'caps, note seekpoints, ask questions, etc. having to do with Ma and Pa Sidney and their new family.

I for one, cannot wait love

Thanks everyone, Dede

William Shakespeare

Dede

Forum

Denver, Colorado

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:30 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate