Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Rules, Guidelines and Etiquette
 Posting Copyrighted Material is Prohibited
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 04:50 PM EST  
JudyB

Some of the pictures on Satisfaction.com don't blink, sparkle or move. Note that I'm not advocating them - they're just the only one I've checked so far.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Debs (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 05:18 PM EST  
Debs

Thanks Judyb and Sharon for your work on this. I wonder if we could profile the information into two lists for the greeting cards etc

One list that identifies the sites that are okay to use & then a
Second list that identifies sites that sites that we cannot use on the forum

May you enjoy all of the simple "pleasures or gifts" that surround you.
Let your spirit soar!

To light a Candle for a loved one or friend right click on the link that follows and copy to your browser
http://light-candle.com/collections/view/33353/success

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 06:34 PM EST  
yalitldevl

thanks Judy I'm going to work my way through Sharon's list tonight and see if I can't find the best sites without the glittery action that's soooo annoying! Green LOL

what do you guys think of this one? looks good to me!

animation playhouse...it even lists that its okay for non-profits. It says in there if anyone sees anything that they created on there to notify them and they'll remove it immediately, otherwise it's good to go!!

here's the link to the terms of use, it says to copy a link to them when using their gif's I think??

http://www.animationplayhouse.com/terms.htm

this link is for adding your site?? as part of the terms of use or it says you can just put a link to them with the image

http://www.animationplayhouse.com/linkbanner.htm

I don't get it but I know Judy, Richard or somebody will

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 09:33 PM EST  
yalitldevl

GOOD NEWS!

We can use animation playhouse!! here's my email to them and their response to me!

MY EMAIL QUESTION

Hi,
I just want to be sure I'm right "before" I use anything on your site! I read the terms of use and my question is... I can use the gif's as long as I post a link to your site correct?

we are on a Not-for-Profit site
thanks Lori

THEIR EMAIL RESPONSE

Dave Nixon nxn@netgate.net 6:17 PM
to me

Hi Lori,

We always appreciate links but it's not obligatory

Dave
Animationplayhouse.com

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: MayLine (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 09:33 PM EST  
MayLine

What about the the concepts of Public Domain and the principle of Fair Use (in the news a lot lately in the political realm.)
Here is what I read on many sites: "Images can be reproduced without regard to copyright under the principle of Fair Use if it is done so solely for educational purposes and with no intention to realize profit."

I think the issue over at EA is that there has been no intent to realize a profit in our posting of images! If Person A uses Person B's created image on Person A's website to sell something or promote their business, that's one thing - and wrong. But hey -- are we to think we cannot even post a pic of, say, Betty White or of an old 1920's postcard (just random examples) if it pertained to the topic being discussed? What about images from GoogleEarth? Screen captures of things being sold on ebay? (Surely ebay sellers don't copyright every pic of every object they are selling!) Library images of old photos?

My own avatar is a screen capture from an old obscure 1932 children's book. Is it illegal??

Also, doesn't a person have to take an action to copyright something? You can't just say it's copyrighted!

A lot more has to be clarified for us. And in terms we all can clearly understand.

ETA: Nice work Lori.

Actually, What I am interested in more than lists of free sites are CONCEPTS to guide us. Could we have a list of concepts in a succinctly-stated manner? Perhaps it's just too nebulous an area?

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
William Shakespeare

Dede
Joined HWF: April 2009

Forum

Denver, Colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 09:38 PM EST  
yalitldevl

thank you Dede hug now we can wait for a real answer

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 10:30 PM EST  
JudyB

I don't know the answers to all of those questions, Dede - and I agree they are great questions!

Richard did do a basic explanation of Fair Use towards the bottom of his general discussion, which I've put in the first post of this thread.

This link from WikiAnswers - http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_co ... _something - is a fairly concise summery of what I think is true regarding copyright in the United States. I don't know if Canada is different, but suspect many of the principles are similar, given that both countries have a basis in English law, way back when. And my understanding is that if I take a picture or write a poem, it is automatically copyrighted unless I give up that right. I can enhance that by saying (c)JudyB 2012 - but that's not necessary. And I can make it easier to prove it's my work and when I did it if I register it - but that's also not necessary.

As to your avatar picture - I think the general rule is that the image would continue to be copyrighted for 70 years after the death of the author or the illustrator, depending on who owned the rights, unless there were some side deals going on or an heir extended the copyright or probably a whole bunch of possible conditions I know nothing about. Because it's a small part of a larger work, it might fall under Richard's definition of Fair Use, though I think that would be more likely to apply if you used it in a post about children's books. But I do not know - this is just speculation on my part.

As to general concepts, Richard did go over some of them in his post here - forum/viewtopic.php?topic=309808#309808

If you have some clarifying questions (or whatever) after reading his post, please post them - and we'll see if he can stop by to discuss things in a bit more detail.

Thank you all for helping us work through what is indeed a complicated issue!
Thank You and Good night sleepy

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: gemini (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 10:37 PM EST  
gemini

Also, doesn't a person has to take an action to copyright something? You can't just say it's copyrighted!

Yes, they can! They just have to say it's copyrighted - as long as it is a tangible work and it belongs to them. Registration is not mandatory!.

Here is a quote from the following site that answers the question What is Copyright Protection -

"Somebody once asked if it was "illegal" to place the copyright symbol next to your name if you have not registered your copyright. Unless you are not the true author of the work, it is not illegal to place the copyright symbol next to your name - it is your right to do so.

The proper way to place a copyright notice is as follows: Copyright (first date of creation) (name of owner). Like this: Copyright 2010 John Smith."

Here is the link to this site. It is very informative and is easy to read! It helps to explain why we are having this problem.

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

Be sure and read the section on "Free" web graphics, stock photography and linking images!

ETA:
Judy, I see we overlapped in our posting re copyrights!! Sorry about that!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:38 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate