By: birdofprey (offline) on Monday, April 11 2011 @ 01:28 AM EDT  
birdofprey

I look forward to seeing your Hawaiian photos, Kay! Smile

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, May 09 2011 @ 12:13 PM EDT  
elle

Back from Belize, Central America where we saw lots of amazing wildlife and many, many tropical birds and fish, too. Some critically endangered indigenous species can now only be seen in the wonderful world renowned Belize rehab/zoo where the focus is on education. Breeding programs are under way to help reintroduce species such as jaguars, tapirs, harpy eagles, and King vultures to the wild and to protected wildlife sanctuaries. We were very fortunate to also see a plethora of creatures in nature, too, both on land and snorkeling in the Caribbean Sea. Will post some pix and videos here ASAP.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, May 09 2011 @ 12:55 PM EDT  
elle

Here is a preview of many more pix and videos of birds and other wildlife in Belize. This is a
Collared Aracari otherwise known as a toucan. Whatever he is called, he is a fabulous creature to behold, especially in flight as the head and beak are so large compared to the body. He came to join us having brekkie on the patio of a posh hotel in San Ignacio that overlooks the unspoiled forest stretching west into Guatemala. We were told this was the place to see birds in the wild and it certainly was. They have a blackboard with all the names of birds sighted there ( 40 some odd so far) and they provide the patrons with binoculars and a bird book! Needless to say we didn't stay at this hotel but we were told this is where Queen Elizabeth stayed when she visited Belize. We saw at least 12 different species in the hour or so we were there.

Video Camera
COLLARED ARACARI

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, May 09 2011 @ 01:25 PM EDT  
elle

Collared Aracari
Click twice

Click on image to download

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, May 09 2011 @ 01:26 PM EDT  
elle

And a Keel-billed Toucan. It is also known as the Belizean Bill Bird and is the National Bird of Belize. What an awesome creature. It was very exciting to actually see one of these in nature. Many of the locals said they had never seen one so we felt very fortunate, indeed. You have to get up early and know where to go to see them and it was well worth the early rise.
Click 2 X

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Tuesday, May 10 2011 @ 12:53 PM EDT  
elle

And now for monkey business.

These Howler Monkeys live at the Belize Zoo but they are free to come and go as they please as they are not enclosed. They choose to stay where the easy food source is. Why not? It is not a zoo like any other I have ever visited. It is mostly completely natural. Anyway I am so glad we saw and heard these creatures as their vocalisation is eerie and creepy and not what we expected at all. If I had heard that during the night when we were staying in the middle of the forest in our screened in cabana I would have been more than a bit frightened.
Unfortunately the day we were at the zoo was a day the locals decided to slash burn and it was smokey and grey as a result, so the pictures aren't as clear as I would have liked. It is absolutely terrifying that they slash burn at the edge of the forest in such hot and dry weather, but they do it all the time!
Click twice

And a video of them " doing their thing" . The Harpy Eagle ( yet to come) can easily take down one of these monkeys. Wow!
Video Camera
HOWLER MONKEYS

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, May 11 2011 @ 11:40 AM EDT  
elle

Here's a Red-Lored Parrot photographed from my fairly isolated cabana at the Belize Tropical Education Centre in the forest across the road from the Belize Zoo. We stayed there for 2 glorious days and nights of sights and sounds of various wildlife. Birds and lizards galore as well as agouti and crocodiles. The early morning cacophony of the Chachalacas and Parrots will not soon be forgotten.
Gotta click twice.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, May 11 2011 @ 03:01 PM EDT  
elle

Here are a couple of recordings of bird " song" in the early morning at our forest cabana at the Tropical Education Centre. Well....some of it is melodious anyway. Can anyone tell me what bird is singing the lovely whistling tune? The loud guys are Plain Chachalacas.
Video Camera
PLAIN CHACHALACAS

Video Camera
PRETTY TUNE

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:29 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate