The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Bears
 Grizzly, Black and Brown Bear -- General Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: birdofprey (offline) on Thursday, February 03 2011 @ 01:48 PM EST  
birdofprey

Quote by: jwnix

I also thought all of this was protected by the agreements last year!!!!

Yes, its amazing what the powerful oil and gas lobby can get away with. Rant: I am praying the the federal environmental assessment process will overturn it although the current federal government is also supported by the oil and gas industry. These days Canada well deserves its title of "Colossal Fossil". Evil

(Sorry - getting political here - it's hard to discuss conservation issues without looking at the decisions of our politicians. Please delete if necessary)

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: stevestringham () on Friday, February 04 2011 @ 03:02 AM EST  
Anonymous: stevestringham

Hello jinx,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you mean to say that "the Spirit bear is officially known as the Kermode bear, which is a subspecies of black bear"?

Just as you try to protect Spirit bear in Canada, we are trying to protect Ghost Grizzlies in Alaska, which is why I wrote the book about them (review posted a few weeks ago on this discussion forum). A red neck clique in Alaska is trying to eliminate most wolves and black bears, as well as a high percentage of grizzly/brown bears across Alaska. All in the name of easier hunting -- occasionally for subsistence, but usually for sport.

The attached photo shows a cub and sow grizzly that passed me as I sat near a salmon stream. After watching in vain for salmon to swim within reach, she and her cub climbed the bank and lay down 3m from me, then went to sleep. That she lay down on the far side of her cub tells you something about her level of trust. This can happen, of course, only where bears are generally well fed and have not learned that they can get food from people by threatening them. I don't consider bears dangerous when they threaten defensively, because they are trying to end a confrontation, not escalate into violence. But bears on the offensive are something else again. We never want to let a bear learn it can get away with that.

Steve Stringham

Click on image to download

By: birdofprey (offline) on Monday, February 07 2011 @ 12:15 AM EST  
birdofprey

Very cute photo, Steve! I will have to look into finding your book. Is it available in Canada?

Quote by: stevestringham

Just as you try to protect Spirit bear in Canada, we are trying to protect Ghost Grizzlies in Alaska, which is why I wrote the book about them (review posted a few weeks ago on this discussion forum). A red neck clique in Alaska is trying to eliminate most wolves and black bears, as well as a high percentage of grizzly/brown bears across Alaska. All in the name of easier hunting -- occasionally for subsistence, but usually for sport.

I remember a certain VP candidate in the last campaign was promoting the shooting of wolves from helicopters - so as to increase the population of moose (she claimed) for the enjoyment of the sport hunters. Very disturbing to learn that that mentality is continuing. Rant:

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: macdoum (offline) on Wednesday, February 09 2011 @ 03:30 PM EST  
macdoum

:hello: You may be interested in this article published recently on the Looduskalander ,Estonia thread;

[ Home
Bear world filling up
Submitted by Looduskalender on 5 February 2011 - 9:54pm
Photo: Arne Ader
Translation: Liis

Going by sledge on forest road

Brown bear Pruunkaru Ursus arctos

It is an important time in the life of brown bears. Female bears become mothers at three or four years and in over sixty dens in Estonia more family members have been born already, or will be born in February. Silence reigns at the winter dens, the silence of the forest and snow. The newly-born are blind, their ear openings are covered with a membrane, they have a sparse „baby fur“, weigh around half a kilo and are quite helpless, but have to develop quickly. The milk of the female bear, with 30% fat, has a high nutritional value and energy content.

At a few weeks the ears of the bear cubs open, and they will see at about oine month. When they have their milk teeth three months have passed and spring has progressed so far that the mother bear, now quite awake, judges it suitable to leave the birth-giving den. At that time the bear cubs, weighing up to five kilos, must be able to accompany their mother.

Bears giving birth for the first time mostly have one – two cubs, older two-three, in very rare cases even more. The female bear will not bear cubs again until after two, sometimes three years.

Sorry the beautiful photograph didn't follow..:dunno:
You can read the article here;
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/9348

Life can be beautiful. Member since12/08/2008

Forum

Alsace France

Profile Email   PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Wednesday, February 09 2011 @ 05:03 PM EST  
jwnix

great article, thanks Macdoum......

please note, that even the bears over there do NOT get pregnant in consecutive years!!! It is unnatural that the bear in Ely left her cub and got pregnant. Clearly it will be a learning experience to see HOW she manages different aged litters in the den.....esp as they get older and more demanding of her .

Interesting also to see as the bear ages, she might have more cubs than the initial 1-2/litter.

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Friday, March 11 2011 @ 02:20 AM EST  
jwnix

There is a 9+min video of today's den visit included in the bear center's daily update. It seems the purpose for the visit was to clean the camera lens (unnecessary for the bears) and to sneak up on the den to take a picture to see if one of the cubs is brown. (unnecessary for the bears)

He apparently silently approached the den, without his usual softspoken greeting, and the female DID NOT LIKE the surprise while she was denning with her family!!! Instead of quietly LEAVING the bears alone having startled the adult, he chose to talk to her and attempt to coax her out of the den with GRAPES!!! He gets her out, they run out of grape treats for the bear and finally leave, stating it would be too dangerous to put their hand in the den with an angry bear!!!

It seems to me that if one wants to "research" how bears behave with their young, then leave them alone to do what they need to do to survive. I am sorry he chose to interfere with the bears in the den today.

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Grubby (offline) on Saturday, March 12 2011 @ 08:31 AM EST  
Grubby

jwnix, Macdoum, Debs.... .

I tend to agree about visiting the den for the simple reason of cleaning the lens and to see what color the cubs are. To help 'protect' these bears they also have to 'fear' humans so they will stay away from them. If we have to watch through a dirty lens.... oh well.... we will have to deal with it for the sake of the bear family. And we will find out for sure what color Faith and Jason are in a few weeks.

I am glad Dr. Lyn does what he does but.....sometimes I disagree with his actions

When You Share Something Nice,
It's Like Having It Twice!

Diane---Michigan

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Thursday, April 14 2011 @ 12:54 AM EDT  
jwnix

one of the bear cubs has died. necropsy results hopefully will be posted, though it matters not for that cub.

perhaps now some of you might consider addressing your concerns with the state wildlife agency. I have refrained from discussing methodology on CAM observation page, I am hoping we will have discussion here.....

here is appropriate information should you choose to be spokespeople FOR BEARS!!!!

Dennis Simon, Chief, Wildlife Management Section, MN DNR, 500 Lafayette Road, St Paul, MN 55155, phone 651-259-5237
dennis.simon@state.mn.us

I would ask if you choose to share your information that you send to them, lets discuss it here. btw, Rogers gave Chief Simon's address in one o his updates when he was garnering support.

I have said it before, and will reiterate, there is NOTHING NATURAL about this bear family, imo. The female has been stressed or likely would not have abandoned cub twice(!!!!) last year.....and having multigenerations in a den. yes its unheard of/or exceedling rare for many reasons.

In a natural scenario, this bear would be getting ready to separate from the yearling in a few months, and then go off to get pregnant!!! a normal track is a pregnancy on alternate years.....not annually!!!

I think it is important to speak out if one has questions about issues such as how wildlife are managed.....the bears cannot talk in english !!!!

the secretary of Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries said in a talk that he personally!!! responds to any written letter he receives in the mail. He considers its part of his job!!! If someone took the time to put a stamp on an envelope, he will respond personally. Of course, we all know that all politicians do not follow that protocol.

here is a bear cub that has been visiting my yard for 6 mos....she was interested in the hanging basket of flowers, which survived her investigation

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:51 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate