https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Bears
 Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam - Mei Lan/Xi Lan
 |  Printable Version
By: carly (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 05:53 AM EST  
carly

Thank you so much for the english link and the translation of the video Helene! Makes much more sense now - that's what I get for asking a 'guy' what a video says..Chin :blink:!

I sure am sorry that Lani is having such a hard time adjusting and hope she will be okay once Heather leaves. They better not change keepers on her like they did with Fu Long!.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: queenie (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 06:14 AM EST  
queenie

wave Panders ~ so glad Diana gets to see the video & English translation now~it does help, thx Hélène {I couldn't open all the links so far either}:huh: ~she is looking much better,love &
carly if she's only going to be in isolation a total of 2 weeks now {I saw that somewhere},
it looks like If Heather will be there an extra week, she might be there~~that would be even better if she could be with her when they let her go outside, since she is so sensitive Chin~~~wonder if we could email Zoo about that~~that would be thrilling again Pandalover19

< 2 clicks bigger Wub

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. ~Aristotle
My Media Memories Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: DoxieMom19 (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 07:57 AM EST  
DoxieMom19

Hélène, thank you so much for the translation and for posting the version in English! Very much appreciated!

queenie, thank you for the Lani collage for those that couldn't see the video. Those fluffy cheeks are a welcomed sight, always.

Thank You

Here is a video of Xi Lan's play session with Lun yesterday morning!

VIDEO ---> Xi Lan: Playing with Mommie Monster --->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59LNKSJDNr8

Hope you enjoy these moments mother and cub have together; weaning will begin too soon :cry1:

~~ Live Well ~~ Laugh Often ~~ Love Much ~~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: queenie (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 11:51 AM EST  
queenie

The Stuffie Moves~2.24min. < Video Link
Lan looks like a stuffie tossed up on structure, then he moves scratches and drops down to ladder~waking up yesterday.

WubSleepy

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. ~Aristotle
My Media Memories Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: DoxieMom19 (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 11:53 AM EST  
DoxieMom19

Mei Lan Update: Friday, February 12

Mei Lan ate more bamboo today than she has in previous days. That’s a good sign that she is starting to develop a taste for the new species of bamboo she’s been offered. Heather said Mei Lan is still reacting to some noises around her. She is calmer in the presence of the Research Base staff, but hasn’t yet become accustomed to other routine noises at the Research Base. It’s normally a pretty tranquil place. It’s located on the edge of the city. In comparison to the bustle of the city, the Research Base is a green, peaceful oasis. It’s also very, very large, measuring over 500 acres. Only about a third of this area is developed. Despite its large size, the Research Base is near a city of 8 million people. All of those people are celebrating Chinese New Year and Spring Festival now. One of the ways they celebrate Chinese New Year is by setting off a lot of fireworks. The noise from this is pretty minimal at the Research Base. The giant pandas living there normally don’t take any notice of it. But for Mei Lan it’s another new noise in a still new place. Luckily, the celebration will be winding down soon and the Research Base will be a peaceful place again.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Mammals

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: DoxieMom19 (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 12:11 PM EST  
DoxieMom19

Friday, February 12

You may have noticed while watching PandaCam that the mulch in the dayrooms looks a bit different – a little darker, a little hillier, a little thicker. On Tuesday, a complete dayroom mulch change was accomplished. As Kenn mentioned in Monday's update, this can be a time consuming process. Seven people worked for six hours straight to complete the change!

Although to us it's still just mulch, to the pandas the difference in texture and odor is definitely noticeable! At least for a quick moment or two. When Yang Yang was first shifted into a dayroom after the change, he was somewhat hesitant, sniffing the mulch and walking out slowly. Then once he realized it was just new mulch, which he has of course experienced before, the bamboo eating could commence! Similarly, while Lun Lun sniffed the new mulch and was certainly aware of it, her priority was getting bamboo into her belly! Xi Lan, on the other hand, was a completely different story. This is the first mulch change he has gone through. When he was asked to shift into a dayroom, he was reluctant to go out at all! He cautiously sniffed the air and slowly came out. Then he proceeded to gingerly walk around the entire dayroom to investigate his new surroundings. What is this strange new material? It looks like the floor, but only sort of smells like and feels like the floor! Of course, with a bit of time, snack time and then nap time won out over the need to investigate. His detective work has led him to the discovery that any floor is a good floor when it contains bamboo and biscuits!
Layla Dampier
Carnivore Keeper II

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 01:54 PM EST  
Lonette

It's snowing in Atlanta. Looks like it just started. Mr. Camera Operator is not zooming in on the panna bear, so I can't tell who is outside at the moment. It could be Xi Lan sleeping over in the corner. I don't think a s'cap would help. Oh - there's the close up. That cute little butt belongs to Xi Lan! LOLOLOL

It's great to hear that Lani is eating more boo now. That's just the best. I hope the fireworks stop soon so she doesn't get so startled. Bless her baby heart!

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: DoxieMom19 (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 02:09 PM EST  
DoxieMom19

Lonette, hi wave Xi Lan was nursing in the snow!!

Click on image to download

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:55 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate