Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Bears
 Pandas at National Zoo ~ Tai Shan/Family
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Maria dB () on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 11:43 AM EST  
Anonymous: Maria dB

Thanks Helene` for posting Tai giving Dai Fu the recipe for Fruities. Is there anyway Mr Wu could see it for himself? Rolling on floor laughing (someone would have to translate some of the spelling Green LOL)

By: Anonymous: Hélène () on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 05:02 PM EST  
Anonymous: Hélène

Latest news on Tai from Pandas International newsletter:

Hello to all our Pandas International Members
and Supporters!

Wanted to give you a quick update on Tai Shan who is now back to his homeland with all his furry cousins. Tai Shan arrived in Chengdu, China on February 6th via a special plane provided by FedEx. He was then transported to Bifengxia.

Prior to his arrival he was adopted for life by the Sichuan Auto Industry Group for a million Yuan or about $150,000. This donation will help support Tai Shan with food, housing and medical care.

Tai Shan did extremely well on his plane trip according to Nicole Meese his keeper. He munched on bamboo, pears, and apples. The flight did not seem to faze him and he has been eating and adjusting well in his quarantine enclosure.

Jia Jiansheng, a state wildlife official, thanked the United States for taking care of Tai Shan and his travel companion, Mei Lan, who came from Zoo Atlanta and was sent to her home at the Chengdu Panda Base.

"We assure you, American friends, we will take care of Tai Shan and Mei Lan as if they were our own children."

All the Vets and staff at Bifengxia are very pleased with his progress and very happy he has come home to China. A Chief Veterinarian at Bifengxia stated, "Tai Shan had safely come back to Bifengxia. He is a brave boy, no any strangeness of the new home, eats local bamboo and fruits very well (but not panda bread), daily activities and spirits are well, in one word he is normal with all things, he looks very happy. All our staff are emotional on Tai Shan back. Many Chinese visitors waiting for see him."

Tai Shan has a special relationship to Pandas International. In 1999, co-founder of Pandas International, Diane Rees adopted a panda at the Wolong Nature Center which she nick named “Ling Ling” after her adopted Chinese daughter. In 2000, when we were in China for Ling Ling’s wedding we again went to Wolong to see the Panda "Ling Ling" and were informed since she was one of the most beautiful pandas she had been selected to go to the National Zoo in D.C. Diane was sad, but got to see her in quarantine before her trip to D.C.

In D.C. Diane's Ling Ling got the new name of Mei Xiang and a new beau Tian Tian. Then on July 9, in 2005 Mei Xiang gave birth to the now famous Tai Shan.

Mei Xiang’s mother Yong Ba, Tai Shan’s grandmother is now back at Bifengxia as well.

Pandas International recognizes how concerned Tai Shan’s fans are about the changes in his life. As he is currently in a quarantine unit required by law, his quarters are rather spartan, but great effort is being expended for his mental and physical well being.

The staff at Bifengxia is aware he has achieved "international rock star" status in the hearts of his fans during his time in America. Like all the pandas at the breeding center he is provided with the types of bamboo that are needed for the highest nutrition depending on the season, ages, and personal preferences. Twice a day they receive varieties of fruits and vegetables plus special tasty "bread" baked with nutritional supplements. His diet, scat, and activity level is being closely watched by caretakers and the chief veterinarian and nutritionist.

Twice a day his living area is swept, scooped, and washed with environmentally/panda friendly products. We've watched the caretakers treat the pandas with affection and respect and the pandas enjoy watching their visitors and playing in their areas.

At the end of the quarantine period, Bifengxia plans a celebration of his move to permanent living quarters March 6th. Pandas International is not attending this event but, we will provide coverage afterwards, as we get the information.

By March, Pandas International hopes to have arranged for the installation of a web cam, provided by the generosity of a Tai Shan fan, so everyone world-wide can see him enjoying life. We’ll have photos of the move and the celebration and you will have the ability to watch him as you did via web cam at the Smithsonian Zoo.

All of our efforts for the well-being and medical treatments of Tai and his relatives at Bifengxia are provided through the kindness and generosity of international donators. China knows their "newest" National Treasure has many devotees. We thank you for your concerns and your patience during his move, but assure you that Tai Shan is very well treated at Bifengxia.

The China Conservation & Research Center for the Giant Pandas is not a zoo where the animals are on display. It is a scientific research and breeding center to protect and perpetuate the entire species. The chief veterinarian has over 30 years of experience in caring for Giant Pandas and all of the staff are extremely dedicated to the preservation of this endangered species.

Again, the world is thankful for a strong healthy male to join the breeding research. Tai Shan will fulfill his destiny and become an Ambassador for Saving all of our beloved pandas.

By: carly (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 05:10 PM EST  
carly

Helene, thank you so much for posting that update on Tai Shan! I'm thrilled, no, beyond thrilled that we will be able to see him on the panda cam again soon. I'm so happy for his many fans as I know there are alot of them that have been devestated by his leaving..it's great that they will be able to see him again soon on a daily basis!!

Now if only we could get one for lani...we'd be all set Wub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Maria dB () on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 07:01 PM EST  
Anonymous: Maria dB

Many, many, many thanks Helene fot the update on Tai. Thank YouClapping The news of a camera is fantastic. Nodding yes Like Carly, I also would like a cam for Lani. We know she has a loving keeper but it would be good to see her settle down happily.Smile at least we are getting updates from Atlanta. Heaven knows what is happing with Tai. Has Nicole gone home? Does his new keeper prefer to have him settle in alone :dunno: He appears to be very happy and that's wonderful (my baby)lovelove

By: Anonymous: Terilyn4 () on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 09:49 PM EST  
Anonymous: Terilyn4

great news about the cam for Tai Shan. I know that news made a lot of fans happy. wish we could get one for Mei Lan too.

By: Anonymous: webangel () on Monday, February 15 2010 @ 09:57 AM EST  
Anonymous: webangel

This article below makes me wonder about our other Pandas too. Will they summon Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, as their lease it up by year's end???

From The Sunday Times February 14, 2010

Peevish China recalls panda Tai Shan due to Obama's meeting with the Dalai Lama

When China requested the return of a giant panda from the National Zoo in Washington, it was thought this was because the pandas back home were not producing enough babies.

But the departure of Tai Shan last week now seems to signify an end to the era of “panda diplomacy” — which dates back to 1972 after President Richard Nixon’s historic visit to China.

President Barack Obama’s decision to meet the Dalai Lama this week has infuriated the Chinese at a time when the US desperately wants their support for sanctions against Iran and its nuclear programme. The Chinese government called on Obama to cancel the meeting with the Tibetan spiritual leader, which comes as relations between the world’s first and third-biggest economies have deteriorated sharply.

Ma Zhaoxu, China’s foreign ministry spokesman, said there had been “stern” exchanges with the US on the matter. <CLIP-more to read at URL below>

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... ttr=797093

By: Anonymous: webangel () on Monday, February 15 2010 @ 09:59 AM EST  

Little Sir Echo is hereby cancelled.Rolling on floor laughing

By: Anonymous: webangel () on Monday, February 15 2010 @ 10:06 AM EST  

HELENE' I loved your post, it certainly bought a smile here.... and I quote

(By March, Pandas International hopes to have arranged for the installation of a web cam, provided by the generosity of a Tai Shan fan, so everyone world-wide can see him enjoying life. We’ll have photos of the move and the celebration and you will have the ability to watch him as you did via web cam at the Smithsonian Zoo.)

Thanks for all your hard work, dedication to our Pandas. The thrill of knowing they existed 8 million years ago and are still with us, just endears them thru the Soul as well as the Heart.
I see that love for them in you, Skipper, PandaLover, Queenie, some from Flipr like LC Nessie, etc. also (many many many more too numerous to even list now). It's just that my mind is a bit boggled with other stuff right now.

Know this well I appreciate all of you and your Caps, Videos, News Items and Love of these Living Fossils called Pandas.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:35 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate