Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Birds other than raptors
 Help with Identification
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: StephaneD () on Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 06:18 PM EDT  
Anonymous: StephaneD

The first one is a White crowned sparrow.
Second is the Savannah sparrow you thought.
Third is a Red-winged blackbird but not a female, it's an immature male. They get their adult plumage only on the third spring.

By: edkeagle (offline) on Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 07:06 PM EDT  
edkeagle

Thanks again, Stephane. At least I had one right Ė the Savannah Sparrow, and I was close on the red-winged blackbird. There is a photo of the immature in my Birds of North America Photographic Guide, and I should have been able to spot it. I was way off on the White-crowned Sparrow, and my photo does not do it justice. I think this thread is invaluable for those of us who are not experts but want to know what we photograph. Iíll be posting these photos later in the Pacific Northwest Trails and Wildlife thread, and will be giving Stephane credit for helping me identify the birds.

First you must follow before you lead.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 02:47 PM EDT  
edkeagle

Iím hoping for confirmation or correction on the following pixs, taken 5-13-10 in Drayton Harbor, Wash. State. I believe these are Greater Scaups, because of the whiteness around the bill, which distinguishes them from the Lesser Scaup. The second photo is an enlargement of the bird in the background on the first photo. Iím really going out on a limb here by saying that the third photo is a female (nonbreeding) Greater Scaup, according to my birding guide. I am also not ruling out that I could be totally wrong and that this is some other duck. Again, thanks for your help.

Click on image to download

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: StephaneD () on Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 04:14 PM EDT  

Hello,

the one in the background is a female Bufflehead (Bucephale albeola) and the other one is most probably, like you said, a Great Scaup (Aythya marila) because of the shape of the head. Good ID!

By: edkeagle (offline) on Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 05:08 PM EDT  
edkeagle

Iím guessing as to the identity of this bird but I think it could be a Yellow Warbler because of its pointed bill and overall yellowish color. Photo taken in a shrubby area on the Central Oregon Coast on 5-22-10. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 05:10 PM EDT  
edkeagle

Iím reasonably sure that these are Pigeon Guillemots because of the dark bar across the white wing patch and the bright red-orange legs which can be seen in a couple of the birds, which are characteristic of this seabird. Photo taken 5-26-10 in Strait of Juan de Fuca near Sequim, Wash.

Pigeon Guillemots?

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 05:12 PM EDT  
edkeagle

Iím pretty certain the first bird has all the characteristics of a White-crowned sparrow, but Iím not sure about the second bird. Both these birds were in the same area on 5-26-10 near the coast on Sequim, Wash. Iím sorry I could not get a better capture on the second photo, which makes it hard for me to pin down its identity. Thanks again for your help.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: StephaneD () on Saturday, May 29 2010 @ 08:50 AM EDT  

The warbler looks like a 1st year Hooded Warbler to me but I have never seen that species in real. Did you see it fly? It would have had white in the tail in flight.

The marine birds are Pigeon Guillemots, especially if they were taken on the west coast, bingo, you got them!

White crowned Sparrow is on the other pic as you stated and you also have a Savannah Sparrow on the last one. The yellow lorum is quite obvious on it.

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:05 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate