Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors -- Questions, Information and General Discussion
 Other Raptors Discussion, News and Q & A
 |  Printable Version
By: garyandjudi (offline) on Tuesday, January 18 2011 @ 05:59 PM EST  
garyandjudi

Harpy eagles are the largest and most powerful eagle in the world. They inhabit the tropical forests of Central and South American, ranging from Southern Mexico to Argentina. The female Harpy averages three and a half feet in length and weighs about twenty pounds. Her wingspan is about six and a half feet. Typically, the male is about one third smaller than the female.
Being a predator, the Harpy's diet consists of mostly monkeys and sloths, which live high in the canopy. Their talons can be up to five inches long. A female can kill prey weighing twenty pounds, but has to tear it apart to transport it.
Harpy eagles reproduce every three years. The four to five feet in diameter nest of a Harpy is usually built in a tall tree, about 150 to 225 feet above the ground. Typically, two eggs are laid, but only one eaglet will be raised. The incubation cycle is about eight weeks. The male brings food for them and their eaglet. It will be another six months before the eaglet is able to leave the nest, but remains near the nest for about a year. Harpy eagles will not abandon their nest or young as other eagles sometimes do. Instead, they will attack intruders.
Depletion of the rain forests is a constant threat to the Harpy eagle. The Harpy Eagle Conservation Program works with South American governments, logging companies, and local people to protect nesting sites.
Click on image to download

Pa and Lady Lafarge Avatar

Judi

Forum

Vancouver B.C.
Canada

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Saturday, February 05 2011 @ 10:20 PM EST  
sassyk

I took this pic of this beautiful American Kestrel on Sun. Jan. 30th near the Victoria Int'l Airport. I entered it in the GlobalBC Wayne's Weather Window contest this week; Wayne showed it on Thurs. News Hour and it was chosen on Fri. News Hour as the weekly winner. I was so pleased because it was the first American Kestrel I have seen and even more pleased that I managed to get a few pix of itLeft thumb up

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Tuesday, February 08 2011 @ 02:52 PM EST  
PacNorWest

Hi Kay * Congratulations !! Great photo of a very beautiful bird ! Cheers.

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Tuesday, March 15 2011 @ 12:17 AM EDT  
soph9

Pretty cool pics of all the stages of a Barn Owl from newbie born to fledgling...

STAGES of a BARN OWL

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Gramps2005 (offline) on Sunday, September 04 2011 @ 02:04 PM EDT  
Gramps2005

I heard first and saw this bird in my back yard. All the Blue Jays were screeching. I assume it is a Hawk but do not know what kind. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Castor (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2011 @ 06:03 AM EDT  
Castor

Congratulations you just know the Cooper Hawk. It belongs to the family of Accipiter, Hawks or Raptors are Forest that conforms well to the Trees @

~~ It is not a prey to impress and not very visible, but its boldness in the chase is what gives it its reputation ...

Video Camera Video footage of a mother: Adult female.

Forum

Mungia, Bay of
Biscay

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Friday, September 16 2011 @ 11:57 PM EDT  
ostrich

Today was an awesome day at the Greater Toronto Hawk Watch at High Park - conditions were ideal for the birds flying, with nice sunny weather but lots of wispy clouds to provide a backdrop for the birds. The massive broad-winged hawk migration has been going through the last two days - yesterday there were a total of about 1800 BWs - today nearly 6000 BWs went through, including one kettle of over 1300 birds. It looks like the broad wing numbers are going to be the best they've been in a few years, which is great to see with the large dropoff in numbers last year.

We're getting the usual smatterings of sharp-shinned hawks, kestrels, a few turkey vultures, osprey, and three more bald eagles (our bald eagle numbers are also looking quite good this year).

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: Castor (offline) on Wednesday, October 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM EDT  
Castor

:hello: Hi, I am participating in a small camera traps contest of Spain, if you want to see animals in Spain and Latin America take a look

Fototrampeo 2011

Enjoy Wink

Forum

Mungia, Bay of
Biscay

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 10:12 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate