The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other Eagle Pictures and Observations
 Eagle Pictures from Across the Land
 |  Printable Version
By: yalitldevl (offline) on Saturday, February 13 2010 @ 10:40 AM EST  
yalitldevl

Hi Ed Iím so glad you enjoyed me eagle video. I was frozen solid! The wind was trying to knock me over so it was a real struggle but I was very determined to get it no matter how bad it was. My camera is a Pentax X70 that does HD Video so it was taken with that. Now when I get a tripod and a lot of luck perhaps I can make a better one on a calmer day.

Beautiful juvie pic Doug and all your others, thanks for them Smile

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Birdsie () on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM EST  
Anonymous: Birdsie

(I hope this is the right place to post this....let me know if not.....:oopsSmile

Here are photos of bald eagles flying over Central Park in New York City, adults and juvenile on Feb 7, 2010:

Bald Eagles flying over NYC

In this collection of photos is also a photo of a starling, woodpecker, kestrel harassing a RTH and RTH carrying branches for nest building.

These are still photos from a professional photographer, Lincoln Karim, who photographs daily a famous pair of red-tailed hawks, Pale Male and Lola, and other RTHs nesting in the NYC area. He posts daily photos.

By: Anonymous: Birdsie () on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 02:37 PM EST  

Hi Lori,
I just watched your video of Teeny and noticed the windmills in the foreground. You may want to inquire about bird fatalities in the area. Unfortunately here, in California, we have a shameful number of raptor bird deaths in our windmill farms. Eagles are frequently killed by the blades of the windmills. Bird watching organizations actively try to bring this to the public's attention and to negotiate times and speeds of operation of the windmills to coincide with lower risk times for the birds.

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 03:00 PM EST  
yalitldevl

Hi Birdsie

Where I am is a very dinky community and I knew of and had read studies on the bird fatalities when the turbines first started going up. There are gates (very flimsy and easily gone over) at the beginning of the lanes that lead to them for the maintenance crews and I see them open all the time and go down them to the guys. I have come to know casually quite a few of them. I just say I love the turbines but Iím watching for any birds around them and to see if they have collected any. Iíve asked them in passing (masking true interest) and theyíve told me theyíve had the odd small bird on the ground but so far thatís been it.

Iíd love to see a real study done and see what the numbers look like between the numbers killed in coal and oil as opposed to turbines and nuclear. Iím afraid our choices will always be at the expense of our beautiful wildlife no matter what we chose. Hopefully the day will come where an alternative will answer all our needs and pose no dangers but I doubt weíll see it. We all know when it comes down to Ďwhatís rightí and the bottom line, which one will win.

Iím not sure this discussion belongs here. If not please feel free to move these two posts we wonít mind Titter

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Birdsie () on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 04:43 PM EST  

Hi Lori--
My heart stopped when I saw Teeny flying within sight of the turbines. But I know regions are different and wind farm sizes vary.

Turbines on migratory routes are more dangerous for birds--because the migrating birds are less familiar with the turbines--and there are more birds migrating. A wind farm here in California reports over 4,000 raptor deaths each year, including eagles. It is unfortunately located on a major migratory route. Glad to hear your maintenance crews don't report many deaths. Let's hope it stays that way.

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 06:30 PM EST  
yalitldevl

Hi Birdsie

You and me both! I just about had a heart attack but I've come to know that they play among them and just posted that not too long ago on another thread. They seem to like the winds that come off them or something. All four were there parents and both babes, drives me crazy but I know they know wind like no other so I'm relaxing about it a bit. Those are terrible numbers! Heartbreaking Sad

You'd hear me from there if it happened here

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, February 15 2010 @ 09:10 PM EST  
yalitldevl

I went out on a Teeny and Grace hunt today but no luck. Now it's been about a week I think since I've seen them. The parents may have driven them off. Of course there's no way to tell when I see an adult without them whether it's a parent or not. I did today find a beauty in a new location at 1:35 PM. It's the same general area and in the snags where I first found Teeny and Grace. It's all fluffed up against the cold

Click on image to download

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Friday, February 19 2010 @ 11:47 PM EST  
soph9

Saw a pair of Eagles today down in Vancouver, Stanley Park. About a mile from Prospect Point...I thought there was someone watching the nest in this area...in any case don;t see a thread....here a few pics of this beautiful pair just enjoying a beautiful Olympic Day!Click on image to downloadClick on image to download clickable

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:21 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate