Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Miscellaneous
 The Singing Bird Lane
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 12:50 PM EST  
Anonymous: Jean Dagenais

Its now 12.39 pm Gee guess everyone is taking it easy to-day. Sun is shining here Temperature isminus 14 C about plus 3 F.so that isn't to bad...
Click on image to download

In case you don't look at the Featherd Friendz sight I will put this picture on my thread here of my favourite sight of Eagles. The Blackwater
eagle in SNOW yes Snow. Poor thing. Not sure whether it is MOM or Dad but they sure do have the elments to put up with. Ok here it is

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 01:25 PM EST  

Well another page, Its getting so I am feeling better and better. My amazing Dr. has sure helped me, so far so good. Isn't that wonderful I can say that for a change. Old is old but boy when your sick it's ten times worse ( :blink
Vickie is at the fair to-day doing tickets. Hope they have a good time and everything goes well. I wouldn't mind being there myself and get some nice warmth in these old bones Wink
I got to thinking all about retirerment and here is a poem I chose. It is true .
I think a lot of people can get into a bad situation when they retire, when we retired we did many things, trips, games I loved playing golf, and also had many friends to come visit as we did them, BUT and here is the sticker. When one of us become ill, the fun is gone and the older you get sometimes it is just something else. So when you do retire think about all the situations and what can happen and try to turn it around for it is becomes no fun anymore...The right atitude is essential. Trust me...so here is a little poem for you to keep on hand it may help .Wink Good Luck.

Why do they call it retirement?

Why do they call it retirement?
Are you going to bed?
Are just having a rest?
Receding into the distance?
Or will work truly stop?

Stop work? How silly.

Will your feet be forever in slippers?
Will you be glued to daytime TV,
Unable to shift from your chair?
Does your brain turn to jelly
The second you leave?

Stop work. I don't think so.

Now the work truly begins
Mountains to climb
Rivers to swim
Oceans to sail
Roads to follow

Dreams to turn to reality

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 01:31 PM EST  

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 04:25 PM EST  

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 04:45 PM EST  

The above picture was a late sunrise at our house this am. Jan 3oth. So pretty every morning when we get these beautiful sun rising pictures...
Well I made a nice meat loaf for supper to-nite ist I felt like cooking in a long time.& Seeing as Iam a tea drinker here is the History of Teapot
thought you might like it
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before there were Teapots…

Teapots are relatively a new invention compared to the amount of time that tea has been around. In the 7th century, tea came in bricks. A chunk was cut off and then broken up so that it can be boiled in water. They were boiled in cauldrons and then the tea was sipped from wide bowls. Shortly after, powdered tea became popular. The grounded tea was mixed with hot water in a deep and wide bowl. This type of bowl helped facilitate the whipping of the powder to a froth with a whisk. When the powder settled, the tea was drunk out of the bowl.

Early forms of Teapots
The traditional teapots weren't needed until the type of tea changed. In the 1300's, leaf infusion started and now teapots were necessary to allow for the tea to steep. Teapot-like vessels have been around in China for thousands of years, but they were used for wine and water. These vessels had a spout and handle and eventually were adopted for the steeping of tea. The most popular teapots from this time were produced in the YiXing region of China. These teapots were made purple clay and were known to be of fine texture and high quality. These YiXing teapots were hybrids of the earlier drinking bowls and the modern teapots. Not only were they used to brew tea, but were actually drinking vessels. An individual would drink directly from the spout of the pot.

The teapot design of today
We are more familiar with the globular shaped teapot of today. This was basically a European invention. The inspiration for the design might have been twofold, Islamic coffee pots were similar and so were the Chinese wine vessels. Early European teapot designs were inadequate due to poor workmanship and poor quality of materials. A breakthrough occurred in the early 1700's. A new clay was found and with the help of new technology, a fine porcelain was created that rivals the best that China had to offer.

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 10:07 PM EST  

As usual I want to say Good night Had great day and feel like a million dollars So here's to all of you
( not a soul wrote to-day )on the feathered nest either. but I will say hugs to all see you to-morrow Sunday the end of January.. ok Stay safe.

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Sunday, January 31 2010 @ 12:52 PM EST  

Well not a good day for me. Feeling unwell again, might be relapse. Oh well we carry on the same. Or try. There are a few side effects perhaps to the medication I am on. Apparently this med. works like that, good one day no so good the next. so Vickie said ( bless you Vickie for helping me out) now I am ok .The phone call was exciting but the trouble was voice ,. Thanks so much though.All the way from the Cayman Islands. What a wonderful friend.
So I will just say

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Sunday, January 31 2010 @ 05:16 PM EST  

Spring yes February the 2nd is Groundhog day here . Story of how it began
Groundhog Day is an annual holiday celebrated on February 2. It is held in the United States and Canada. According to folklore, if a groundhog emerging from its burrow on this day fails to see its shadow, it will leave the burrow, signifying that winter will soon end. If on the other hand, the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks.[1] The holiday, which began as a Pennsylvania German custom in southeastern and central Pennsylvania in the 18th and 19th centuries, has its origins in ancient European weather lore, wherein a badger or sacred bear is the prognosticator as opposed to a groundhog.[2] The holiday also bears some similarities to the medieval Catholic holiday of Candlemas[3] It also bears similarities to the Pagan festival of Imbolc, the seasonal turning point of the Celtic calendar, which is celebrated on February 1 and also involves weather prognostication.[4]

Modern customs of the holiday involve celebrations where early morning festivals are held to watch the groundhog emerging from its burrow. In southeastern Pennsylvania, Groundhog Lodges (Grundsow Lodges) celebrate the holiday with fersommlinge,[5] social events in which food is served, speeches are made, and one or more g'spiel (plays or skits) are performed for entertainment. The Pennsylvania German dialect is the only language spoken at the event, and those who speak English pay a penalty, usually in the form of a nickel, dime or quarter, per word spoken, put into a bowl in the center of the table.[6]

The largest Groundhog Day celebration is held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, where crowds as high as 40,000[7] have gathered to celebrate the holiday since at least 1886.[8] Other celebrations of note in Pennsylvania take place in Quarryville in Lancaster County,[9] the Anthracite Region of Schuylkill County,[10] the Sinnamahoning Valley[11] and Bucks County.[12] Outside of Pennsylvania, notable celebrations occur in the Frederick and Hagerstown areas of Maryland,[13] the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia,[14] Woodstock, Illinois,[15] and among the Amish populations of over twenty states and Canada.[14] The University of Dallas in Irving,Texas has taken Groundhog Day as its official university holiday and organizes a large-scale celebration every year in honor of the Groundhog.[16]

Groundhog Day received worldwide attention as a result of the 1993 film of the same name, Groundhog Day, which was set in Punxsutawney (though filmed primarily in Woodstock, Illinois) and featured Punxsutawney Phil.[17

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:38 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate